Do QVC do a GOOD bread storage solution?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

clemenzina

Registered Shopper
I 'make' my own bread in a breadmaker. It often goes mouldy before I finish it, cos small loaves don't make decent sized slices so I always do a 2lb size. I can never get the right sized placky bags*, and it didn't keep well in the Lock & Lock which I thought would really solve the prob cos it's the exact size :(

Do QVC do a wonder product? If not, do any of you ingenious telly-shoppers have a secret solution? I don't like refrigerated bread.

*The thin bags supermarkets let you have to weigh your veggies are a good size but my bread is often so craggy that it rips them.

clemenzina :10:

i am not sure if this will help but i make a really large loaf with half the 1.5kg bag of flour.instead of a tin i divide the bread in three sausage shapes and make a huge plaited loaf. i bake it gool it divide it in half and freeze one half. this way we have bread for 3-4 days. i just frehen up the frozen half or have it at roo temperature. because the bread is so big it really does not dry out like those made in a tin.
you must tell me what flour and yeast you use i am always on the look out to improvemy sklils and bread

I have the same problem with homemade bread. The best solution I've I found so far is bags in Lakeland that are the same as the ones they sell store-baked bread in. I put my loaf in one of them then into a Lakeland bread bag (fabric outer, plastic inner) and it keeps for much longer. The only problem with the Lakeland fabric bag is that it doesn't retain the crusty outer layer of the bread.

I think the problem with lock n lock is that they don't let the bread 'breathe' so mould develops on it.

Hope that helps.
Peggie xx

I got so fed up with the bread going off, I now only do the dough in my bread machine, then bake it as rolls, they last about 4 days in the lock and lock (I do use the grid tray underneath which help a bit of air go round)...the bread loaf is wonderful when fresh from the machine but goes dry to fast, just goes to show what preservatives can do!:11:

daydreamer

I wouldn't have thought it make much difference Snoopy as fresh bread dries out quicker than the shop bought stuff anyway. I think I made a loaf with oil once and it was so stodgy I never bothered again! :lol: And I'm supposed to be a cook! :sue:

Some shop bought breads don't keep well either.
I find the large freezer bags are big and strong enough to keep a loaf in but they don't last any longer than without.
I too now make the dough in the machine and make rolls.

I've made french bread too and that comes out nice. I also just make the dough and cook it in the oven as rolls or French bread.

We use our breadmaker twice a week and store the sliced bread in large resealable freezer bags in the fridge. It always stays fresh and never becomes mouldy. Depending on the size of your bread the medium sized bags may be ok. Hope this helps.:1:

I do the same as daydreamer and make rolls.

Because home made bread isn't stuffed with preservatives, there isn't a lot you can do, except you could try making a loaf and freezing it in slices, so you can just take out as many slices as you need at a time.

Lakeland used to make a 'Bread Keeper' [as far as I know they still do] which is a two piece plastic box. It's by far the best thing available for keeping bread fresh.

Yep, I'm another Lakeland-ite. It will usually keep for up to a week (bit dry by the end but okay for toast). Sometimes, depending on how bread rises, it can be a bit of a squash but it always comes out okay.
That's a Large loaf in a Panasonic breadmaker (1 lb 2 oz / 500 g flour).

If all else fails, there's always bread & butter pudding or bread pud :7:

Can I ask as I have a bread maker and a kenwood with the dough hook so which is the best way to make bread and do you use a bread mix or make it all, flour yeast etc, and can you super cooks give me your recipe, what ever I do it nevr really seems right:1:

Last edited:
I slice mine as soon as it is cool, then put it in a lock and lock and shove it straight in the freezer. I take out just what I need at a time and it thaws quickly, even quicker if you give it a 20 second blast in the microwave.

Same as Themroc, flour and quick yeast - never fails ... except when I forgot to put the water in :8:

Wow, thanks for all the replies (I've been using my laptop with no Outlook Express on it so didn't see reply alerts, sorry for being so slow to thank).

I am a heavy carbohydrate addict - as in "an addict of heavy carbohydrates", not fluffy airy stuff.

(1) I don't use my (electric) oven unless for a big roast to last me a week, I'm all on my own except for brother lodging here against my will and he's an awkward cuss who does his own food* ;)

(2) I wouldn't make rolls cos then I couldn't make my huge gert banana & Tiptree raspberry jam sandwiches, and thick fried bread (heart-friendly olive oil) which does lovely and even on an induction hob.

(3) My breadmaker bread has evolved ;) I never follow the Morphy Richards recipes, they use too much sugar and too much oil, it comes out like sludge :( I've told 'em but every new breadmaker they 'issue' is accompanied by the same recipes, all in :42: cups too :58:

(4) My own invented recipes used to include so much goodness you could build a house with my bread. Oat bran, wheat germ, ground almonds, sunflower seeds, linseeds, wheat bran - all in together. (That's why I know all MR's breadmakers, I keep killing them and MR's lovely customer service ladies sell me another one at an ultra bargain price.) Now I often use (if I can get it) Premium (super-strong) white flour cos I can do a basic 1.5hr loaf, 500g flour with 40g wheat bran, 1 sachet Sainsbury's fast-bake yeast. Or I make wholemeal and see how much goodness I can get into it and still be able to slice it.

Grovesy & Mia - What large freezer bags, please? My local shops don't have big enough ones.

Lucy - my basic recipe (such as it is):

Into bread pan in this order:
350ml warm water
2tbs Marvel (or own-brand skimmed milk powder)
1 scant tbs white sugar (three-quarters of a tbs?)
2tbs Olive oil OR Rapeseed oil
500g Premium (super-strong) white flour (Hovis, Allinson's)
40g wheat bran
1 sachet quick yeast
LARGE pinch (one-eighth tsp?) Vitamin C powder (Holland & Barrett)

If you don't use bran, reduce quantity of water by 20ml or more but I can't be precise.

When I get the OTO Lock & Lock set I'll use one of them with some kitchen paper in and see how it goes. I don't mind dry bread, but mine goes mouldy :10:

I shall try slice & freeze, too.

clemenzina :)

*In fairness, he's cooked me several meals since I've been giving up smoking :)

My bread either homemade or shop bought goes mouldy in a lock and lock even on the plastic racks.

I like the recipes in cups as it is easier no weighing just thow a cup of this and a cup of that in - don't have to get the scales out.

If I am baking bread in the machine on the timer so it will be ready by the time I get home from work I put boiling water in - then by the time it starts the water is usually still tepid rather than cold straight from the tap.

:TEA:

Oh I'm so jealous!
I had a breadmaker which I loved but inadvertantly threw the paddle out along with the remains of a loaf. Couldn't get a replacement one anywhere so reluctantly ended up chucking the whole thing away. Am I the only eejit to have done this?

I am...aren't I?... la la la ....:54:

I used to keep mine in a ceramic bread-bin but it never lasted long enough to dry out anyway.

Latest posts

Back