Do Space Saver Bags keep working?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

CAROLINDA

Registered Shopper
I don't know if it's just me but my space saver bags always seem to malfunction after a few uses. I use them to store summer/winter clothing & bedding. Usually after a two or three seasons air starts creeping back in, no matter how carefully I handle them.

Has anyone seen presenters actually load stuff in? I have only seen them take vast amounts of stuff out, except on one occasion Debbie Greenwood tried to roll air out of one of the travel type (that doesn't have vacuum pipe valve). As she rolled it, the one-way valve made very rude noises, and she almost fell onto the floor laughing. Did anyone see it - it was ages ago and a daytime show - it was absolutely hilarious.

All the ones I have used have "burst" "split" or let air in !. The only ones I really like are the smaller ones that you roll the air out of, they are really great for taking away on holiday !, they do save space in a suitcase.

I have those and the packmate ones as well and they all seem to let the air out.

I think in the demos the reason the air doesn't come back up is that there doing it live and after 10 mins later it will still be the same but leave it 24 hrs or so and they'll blow back up again.

I have the roll ones too and agree with Scamp dog there great for travelling they don't seem to get any air back in them either.

:whew2: Glad I saw this, I was going to buy some to store my quilt.. don't think I'll bother now.. perhaps I'm better off just storing my quilt in a box, can think if better things to spend my money on :happy:

Don't ever let a cat anywhere near them, punctures all over.

I agree the ones you roll are the only ones that keep the air out over a long time.

:whew2: Glad I saw this, I was going to buy some to store my quilt.. don't think I'll bother now.. perhaps I'm better off just storing my quilt in a box, can think if better things to spend my money on :happy:

I found it better to put the quilt in a bin bag, then sit on it to get all the air out,knot the bag, then put it in another bin bag and knot that too !....it will save you money too !.

I would have to agree with the other posts the bags I have had have been useless. Good for a bit, but they all go eventually and they are not cheap.

I would have to agree with the other posts the bags I have had have been useless. Good for a bit, but they all go eventually and they are not cheap.

The worst part is when you put something up in the attic/loft all nice and small then the bag "goes" the air gets in and you cant get the bag through the hole :sad:

Just want to say thanks for all your posts on this - I've wondered about these for saving space, but they look like duds.

The worst part is when you put something up in the attic/loft all nice and small then the bag "goes" the air gets in and you cant get the bag through the hole :sad:

Aw Scampdog, what a bummer! That just makes them that much worse!:confused2:

Every single one i've tried seems to get a puncture if I move it at all, it's not as if my floor is covered in nails and broken glass either.

I think the best way is to put them into a box or old suitcase and seal it after you have put them into the space saver or black bags - then there is no room for the air to get back in.

All the ones I have ever tried have let the air back in too!!

Thanks everyone - so glad it's just not me. Hubby gets really annoyed trying to cram stuff in them.

I have found first time use good & when bringing a comforter bed set home from the US I used a new bag, but worried about whether airport security would undo the case for inspection - luckily they didn't. The bag did its job just that once and didn't work properly again after that.

Perhaps they should be called OTO bags!

I've had pretty good luck w/ them

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I've never had much luck with them either. Same with any type of vacuum seal bags or boxes for food - sooner or later the seal goes, and the air gets in.

I managed to store a lot of feather cushions (I used to do soft furnishings from home) and it was great. Moved them from bottom of wardrobe to under the bed....which was greatuntil the air got in! Trying to manoevre my not that slim body under a very low divan bed to get to them all must have been hilarious to watch from above,but not very pretty.

At one stage fearing that I was actually stuck (quite terrifying as I was in the house by myself) I decided that they could stay there, being good insulation!! Then when I got up suffered with cramp in my neck and shoulder.....so not worth it when they stop working

Hi - I don't know if anyone can remember the make but I bought similar from IW years ago when Steve Whatley was demonstrating them - have been brilliant and use year after year to store duvets, a winter double goes down to about 15" x 12" - sorry I can't remember what they are called though :sad:

Latest posts

Back