Dyson DC44 Animal Cordless Vacuum TSV 28/9/12

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I didn't get on at all with a Henry vacuum. I stayed with my sister-in-law for 5 weeks when she had her first child at 46 & was really poorly. She owns a pub & it had to be vacuumed every day.
Even though it was brand new, it was hard work.

Like I said I know of professional cleaning companies that use them. I don't so not bothered one way or the other.

I've got a Miele cylinder cat and dog and whilst I agree that it is a really good vacuum cleaner, I find that spinal arthritis makes it very difficult to use. It seems to be to do with the posture you need to adopt when using a cylinder cleaner. I bought a DC35 from Comet last year for £149.99 and can use it without any problems. Downstairs at "Ty Cwn" (dog house for our non welsh friends) is either stone or wood with rugs so I can do the whole lot on one charge in about 10 minutes. I haven't had to use the other vacuum downstairs since. I'd buy another one if this conked out:heart:.

I think it's ridiculous as well, I've always thought Dyson are madly overpriced for what they actually are/do! The household equivalent of Apple, with a tunnel-visioned following of madly loyal supporters! (Out of all my kids,daughter-in-law etc., the only one who hasn't long ago dumped their iPhone for an HTC or whatever is the only one whose hoover choice was a Dyson, so maybe something in that.......?) :thinking: :grin:

I bought my DC35 because I was sick of buying inferior "stick vacs" including several from Q which inevitably turn out to be total pants.

In terms of build quality, versatility and effectiveness it leaves the rest of them standing. And I am not a tunnel visioned mad supporter thank you Kitten! It's the first Dyson I've ever bought.

If you lot want to continue poking about in fluff-filled corners with your tragic Devils, Henry's, Whirlwinds and god only knows what else than carry on, poor things. Those of us who can afford a quality product are happy to be in the minority :0)

Same as you Mam....

I've got a Miele cylinder cat and dog and whilst I agree that it is a really good vacuum cleaner, I find that spinal arthritis makes it very difficult to use. It seems to be to do with the posture you need to adopt when using a cylinder cleaner. I bought a DC35 from Comet last year for £149.99 and can use it without any problems. Downstairs at "Ty Cwn" (dog house for our non welsh friends) is either stone or wood with rugs so I can do the whole lot on one charge in about 10 minutes. I haven't had to use the other vacuum downstairs since. I'd buy another one if this conked out:heart:.

Have spinal arthritis too and that was why I got rid of my upright Dyson several years ago and bought an Oreck - which is brilliant BTW, however, I have 2 little kittens that were frightened to death when I had to use it several times a day for picking up their litter and fur (very loud on wooden flooring) and the constant bending down for me to plug it it wasn't helping me SO, I purchased the DC35 Animal about 3 weeks ago and it is brilliant..not only does it not frighten my little kittens, but seeing as it is so handy to use, I am able to keep up with domestic duties more easily and daily. My Oreck is now resigned to being used upstairs only now as it is carpeted. I too would also purchase another if this conked out, but hoping it doesn't just yet.

I wouldn't pay that for a handheld vac, I bought a Dyson handheld from Costco years ago and sure it was only around £60, did not have all the same accessories though. Always forget to charge it up so largely unused.

A lot of cleaning companies use the Henry vacs, so they appear to be a good make to go for.

I bought a Henry after asking a question on here as to what everyone recommended - it is the best vaccuum i have ever owned (have had 2 Dysons and they are rubbish IMHO) It has now lasted me about 5 years and never fails to pick up, get clogged or whatever. Dysons seem to get 'loss of suction' after a very short time.

It must say something when nearly all cleaning companies use them. Most hotels, shops etc use them too. At around £100 or less you get a very reliable solidly built machine. I think it is actually the cheapest vaccuum I have ever purchased too.

I considered changing from my henry last christmas so i did a little test. I borrowed my mums dyson and my MILs Miele and roadtested it along side my reliable henry. Henry won by a mile for suction which interests me most with miele second and the dyson last. Dyson looks lovely and is certainly easier to pull around but not enough reason to change so as a result i stuck with my henry.

I've had three upright Dyson's in the past, none of them lasted more than four years, all of them burnt out.

I also found them quite cumbersome, am now very happy with similar upright Panasonic which had 6 year guarantee offer at the time :sun:

i'm still lumbering on with my argos bagless which i hate. first and last bagless. still dithering between barbs' recommendation and henry. i thought yours was upright barbs? i don't like cylinders, hate pulling it behind all the time and they always get stuck behind something. also i have always thought carpets need the 'beat' of an upright as well as the suck - is that wrong? i know several people who have henrys and they all swear by them. they also use them at the hospital so they must be hard wearing.

Me too!

I considered changing from my henry last christmas so i did a little test. I borrowed my mums dyson and my MILs Miele and roadtested it along side my reliable henry. Henry won by a mile for suction which interests me most with miele second and the dyson last. Dyson looks lovely and is certainly easier to pull around but not enough reason to change so as a result i stuck with my henry.

I did the same - I tested out my year old Dyson upright with a cheap second hand Oreck that I purchased. I tried all manner of tests, from fur to sugar, rice and flour etc. The Oreck beat it hands down with just the forward pass! so that was that! I then ordered a new Oreck. They are brilliant for cleaning and so light, which is the reason I ordered it. The only thing though that lets it down, is that it does not have a 'wand' on the back and I had to constantly use the canister which came with it. But, now that I have the cordless DC35, I speed round with it not having to worry about the lead getting in the way.

i'm still lumbering on with my argos bagless which i hate. first and last bagless. still dithering between barbs' recommendation and henry. i thought yours was upright barbs? i don't like cylinders, hate pulling it behind all the time and they always get stuck behind something. also i have always thought carpets need the 'beat' of an upright as well as the suck - is that wrong? i know several people who have henrys and they all swear by them. they also use them at the hospital so they must be hard wearing.

I have an upright Dyson , bought from QVC, and i think it was not good. Very heavy, and stopped picking up , after only 3 or so years.
Bought the cylinder Miele, cat and dog, and its brill. Light to move around, and great suction. |And you just throw the bags out and
pop another in. You can turn the suction up or down for carpet and wooden floors, and i love it. Better IMO than the Dyson. I'd lusted
after the dyson and when i finally got it, was let down. Have used the Henry too, but find it bit messy when it needs emptying etc.
Very happy with the Miele. Get it from Q and use the 30 MBG. I got the Oreck and tried it, but it was very noisey, good hoovering, but
couldnt be bothered with the hand held thing to do the stairs, so sent it back. They do Miele on Q as well, but i got it in argos, bit
cheaper . No Henrys in our hospital. And my miele never gets stuck. Very light and as i said different levels of suction, turn it up or turn
it down. Brill Cheers :bow:

my mil bought an oreck and hates it. i was quite impressed with the last oreck tsv but no snake put me off. mil said having to use the handheld instead of getting the snake out is a real pain. she also said it starts off very light - the main thing that appealed to me - but ends up heavy as the bag is changed so rarely it just gets heavier....and heavier.....

barbs - when you gave me the link for yours, i could have sworn it was upright!

barbs - when you gave me the link for yours, i could have sworn it was upright!

Sorry Janie, i don;t remember. But i have the cylinder one and swear by it, and as a brand.. Sorry i've i've been bad hiccup :glass:

I bought my DC35 because I was sick of buying inferior "stick vacs" including several from Q which inevitably turn out to be total pants.

In terms of build quality, versatility and effectiveness it leaves the rest of them standing. And I am not a tunnel visioned mad supporter thank you Kitten! It's the first Dyson I've ever bought.

If you lot want to continue poking about in fluff-filled corners with your tragic Devils, Henry's, Whirlwinds and god only knows what else than carry on, poor things. Those of us who can afford a quality product are happy to be in the minority :0)

Well of course you're not BB, as you say this is your first Dyson, so you are only a tiny baby newbie noob Dyson fan at the mo & don't even feature on the 'tunnel visioned follower' scale.....yet! I see by your further comments however that you are an excellent candidate for such & I predict in less than 6 months you will be a totally converted 'Dyson or bust' cult follower! :giggle:

Seriously though, obviously not everyone is a 'mad supporter' but there are definitely some things/brands that seem to foster such a mindset in some people & amongst many others, are:
Apple
Dyson
BMWs
German Shepherds
.....Northern Nights bedding? lol

This is a fact. Nothing else will do. Nothing else comes close. Even if it does/would.....! :nod:

p.s. I am offended that you would call my Henry 'tragic'....he is virtually indestructible & on the turbo setting, quite capable of sucking up pretty much anything....though I admit he is not the best at small corners......& occasionally keels over & sits there like a giant red beetle if I yank him to heel a bit too ferociously! :grin:

Well of course you're not BB, as you say this is your first Dyson, so you are only a tiny baby newbie noob Dyson fan at the mo & don't even feature on the 'tunnel visioned follower' scale.....yet! I see by your further comments however that you are an excellent candidate for such & I predict in less than 6 months you will be a totally converted 'Dyson or bust' cult follower! :giggle:

Seriously though, obviously not everyone is a 'mad supporter' but there are definitely some things/brands that seem to foster such a mindset in some people & amongst many others, are:
Apple
Dyson
BMWs
German Shepherds
.....Northern Nights bedding? lol

This is a fact. Nothing else will do. Nothing else comes close. Even if it does/would.....! :nod:

p.s. I am offended that you would call my Henry 'tragic'....he is virtually indestructible & on the turbo setting, quite capable of sucking up pretty much anything....though I admit he is not the best at small corners......& occasionally keels over & sits there like a giant red beetle if I yank him to heel a bit too ferociously! :grin:

Sounds like an ex of mine....

barbs - it was me. just checked the number you gave me and it is a cylinder - duhhh. most reviews are very good but these 2 about customer service are pretty scary.....

When things go wrong, they really go wrong
"A duty of care is behind this warning. I have a relatively new Miele. The air inlet valve closes by itself during vaccuming. A small thing but annoying and given I have a warranty, they'd surely send me a replacement part of the hose? No! They had to decide that it was faulty. They asked to inspect and while there, would clean and give it a MOT. It came back dirty, the inlet still closed even if you opened it and did nothing, and while vaccuming, it left yellow marks on creme rugs. Goodness what it left on the darker floor surfaces. I cleaned it. Valet Service? Sadly, not.
When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, customer services are very poor. Be aware of my experience and consider it before you buy. I'm cleaning my rugs and praying the grease or whatever comes out."

miele clean really well. they are lightwieght and fantastic for stairs.
its so satsfying that even the kids loved to use it but the build quality for the price and hype is not paticularly good also they cost a kings ransome in filters and bagss.
when mine stopped working after less than 3 years the cost of repair was expensive and consider the company says thier appliances last 20 years they were guaranteed for one.
my friend had bought 2 and it nearly caused a divorce as she said her husband is careless. the lid hinges are so thin and brittle that it comes off very early on. same happened with mine and my parents.
in my experience they do clean beautifully but not impressed with the build quality on these.
i have a dyson and the customer service is fantastic and very reliable.
expensive and poor customer service imo!

barbs - it was me. just checked the number you gave me and it is a cylinder - duhhh. most reviews are very good but these 2 about customer service are pretty scary.....

When things go wrong, they really go wrong
"A duty of care is behind this warning. I have a relatively new Miele. The air inlet valve closes by itself during vaccuming. A small thing but annoying and given I have a warranty, they'd surely send me a replacement part of the hose? No! They had to decide that it was faulty. They asked to inspect and while there, would clean and give it a MOT. It came back dirty, the inlet still closed even if you opened it and did nothing, and while vaccuming, it left yellow marks on creme rugs. Goodness what it left on the darker floor surfaces. I cleaned it. Valet Service? Sadly, not.
When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, customer services are very poor. Be aware of my experience and consider it before you buy. I'm cleaning my rugs and praying the grease or whatever comes out."

miele clean really well. they are lightwieght and fantastic for stairs.
its so satsfying that even the kids loved to use it but the build quality for the price and hype is not paticularly good also they cost a kings ransome in filters and bagss.
when mine stopped working after less than 3 years the cost of repair was expensive and consider the company says thier appliances last 20 years they were guaranteed for one.
my friend had bought 2 and it nearly caused a divorce as she said her husband is careless. the lid hinges are so thin and brittle that it comes off very early on. same happened with mine and my parents.
in my experience they do clean beautifully but not impressed with the build quality on these.
i have a dyson and the customer service is fantastic and very reliable.
expensive and poor customer service imo!
Janie it comes with a 2 year guarantee, and for an extra £10.00 or something (need to
check it out properly tomo) you can get a ten year guarantee. Its the same with any piece of equipment, washing machines etc, some
people are hard to please. The dyson was a disaster, and not worth nearly £300.00, researched the miele and it suits as i have a cat and
it really picks the hairs up. Try it with QVC guarantee, or the dyson if you think its better. I've a bad back, and i find the miele is easy to
pull along and get under things, and im not on commission he he

barbs - nope, i wouldn't want a dyson for all the tea in china. i'm just dithering between the henry and miele ;) thanks for the guarantee info.

barbs - nope, i wouldn't want a dyson for all the tea in china. i'm just dithering between the henry and miele ;) thanks for the guarantee info.

I've had the red henry , and it is good, but imo just a basic hoover, nothing fancy, good suction, and you open it up and
throw rubbish in bin, bit messy, and i found it a bit heavy to pull round. The miele is an upmarket version, just lift the bag
out, no messy dirt etc. Will check today about the guarantee etc for you. Both good, depends on how big your house and
how much you want to pay. What is it Julian says "you pay cheap and you pay twice" he he

Latest posts

Back