Ethiopian Blue Opal

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

VapidStoat

Registered Shopper
Lynn Jinks on flogging a blue Ethiopian opal ring, and bigging up the fact that her ring has a "real" opal, while a different seller has a "created" Erhiopian blue opal ring going for mad prices.

What Lynn hasn't mentioned at all is that the stone is dyed. It says so in the on-screen graphics, but only makes sense if you know the codes Gems uses to state that stones have been treated. And not all treatments get explained on Gemporia's website anyway.

Is annoying that Gemporia's presenters only ever mention treatments outright when they are selling untreated stones

Lynn Jinks on flogging a blue Ethiopian opal ring, and bigging up the fact that her ring has a "real" opal, while a different seller has a "created" Erhiopian blue opal ring going for mad prices.

What Lynn hasn't mentioned at all is that the stone is dyed. It says so in the on-screen graphics, but only makes sense if you know the codes Gems uses to state that stones have been treated. And not all treatments get explained on Gemporia's website anyway.

Is annoying that Gemporia's presenters only ever mention treatments outright when they are selling untreated stones
Yes it's lying by omission really. Letting someone assume it's a natural colour because you haven't actually said it isn't. The same with the mystic-style coated topazes.

I remember a few years back they sold blue, green and pink Ethiopian opal jewellery on a regular basis. It was usually in silver but yes sometimes gold and not that expensive. I remember thinking at the time no way did it come out of the ground those colours.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve lost count of the times they’ve had rubies on screen with (F) in the description box, but never ever draw your attention to the fact that the stone is fissure filled. They are more interested in telling you about the mine, how long it’s been closed etc. In the real world of you tried to sell one of these pieces, it’s highly unlikely that an obscure mine will make any difference to the value of the piece.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve lost count of the times they’ve had rubies on screen with (F) in the description box, but never ever draw your attention to the fact that the stone is fissure filled. They are more interested in telling you about the mine, how long it’s been closed etc. In the real world of you tried to sell one of these pieces, it’s highly unlikely that an obscure mine will make any difference to the value of the piece.
They never, ever mention, or show, their fantabulous gem certificates when they're flogging treated gem pieces. Probably because they clearly state the treatments the stones have gone through.

Latest posts

Back