flower power

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
On a previous thread I said I was testing out the flower power claims. I decided to try growing tomatos for the first time ever, I did it from slicing a tomato and putting it in compost, then separating the seedlings out.

I did 3 batches.

1. Planted in grow bags with occasional flower power feed
2. Planted in multi purpose compost with Flower Power feed.
3. Planted in multi purpose compost with Lidl plant feed.

No tomatoes as yet but the grow bag ones are in flower, much taller and far and away the winner.

Next up are the multi purpose compost/Lidl feed. They are healthy plants but as yet no flowers.

Well the multi purpose compost/flower power feed are the worst. Don't look like healthy plants at all, look "weedy" and no flowers either.

I have used flower power to feed my raspberries and they have an excellent yield. How much of that is down to flower power I have no idea, but I think it is the lovely bees who did all the hard work for me.

i would use multi purpose miracle gro as its voted one of the best on the market. not lidl. b&q is good so is chempak

i would use multi purpose miracle gro as its voted one of the best on the market. not lidl. b&q is good so is chempak

I'm using this miracle grow and a couple of my plants has fruits on them and lots of flowers on my plants and hanging baskets. I tend to buy a pack every time that i see it cheap. less than £3.50 a pack and i purchase.

I think the raspberry yields this year are high in general. Mine have gone potty and had no food.

I tend to use home made compost as a mulch to help feed, but we do have seven compost bins, & seaweed as a foliar feed.
Other than that I use phostrogen or chempak if they look like they need a bit extra.
Over feeding tends to produce a lot of soft lush growth that the greenfly love.

I use tomrite and seaweed extract and I have had a couple of baby cucumbers and my tomatoes has fruits but not ripe yet! I have tried flower power in past did not rate! I will stick with what works for me!

Things seem a bit later this year but phostrogen and see weed always give me a fabulous display for a fraction of the price the gnome charges for his potions

I used the b&q compost this year (x3 50L bags for £10). I'm not growing fruit, but my baskets seems to be doing well.

I also use flower power once a week, and I added root booster & some container grow stuff (still RJ, in an orange container).

I did 3 batches.

1. Planted in grow bags with occasional flower power feed
2. Planted in multi purpose compost with Flower Power feed.
3. Planted in multi purpose compost with Lidl plant feed.

No tomatoes as yet but the grow bag ones are in flower, much taller and far and away the winner.

Next up are the multi purpose compost/Lidl feed. They are healthy plants but as yet no flowers.

Well the multi purpose compost/flower power feed are the worst. Don't look like healthy plants at all, look "weedy" and no flowers either.

Seems you’re undertaking an unbiased test here. As the GGG repeatedly says - Tomatoes are the key indicator crop for plant nutrients.
Perhaps you should send him the photos of the 3 batches so that he could show them to us the next time he peddles his stuff.

Seems you’re undertaking an unbiased test here. As the GGG repeatedly says - Tomatoes are the key indicator crop for plant nutrients.
Perhaps you should send him the photos of the 3 batches so that he could show them to us the next time he peddles his stuff.

Ha Ha I will take photos! Just as long as he doesn't think the flower power is the reason why the grow bags are doing so well!

[mum writes]

I used to love growing fruit and veg in the back garden when I was younger. One summer, I was sticking my marrow seeds in the ground at random, hoping for the best as I didn't really know what to do, when the old Major next door stuck his head over the fence and said "they'll never grow!" That summer, we picked about 70 of the most enormous marrows through the season, and him next door only got 1! Never used much in the way of food though, just watered them a lot and hoped for the best! All we did was pollinate them. We had so many we used to rub it in a bit by always offering him some when we saw him in the garden :D "Do you want another marrow?" :D I remember it well because it was the record summer of '76, when my son was born. I'm sure that heat helped a lot. We had all sorts of fruits and veg in abundance. Sorry, not really relevant to the post but it just got me remembering :)

I know I'm a RJ fan but I can honestly say Flower Power has made a huge difference to my gardening. I previously used ordinary tomato food or Miracle Grow but they did not give as good results. Mr CC who is definitely NOT a RJ fan agreed that Flower Power did seem to grow better plants. It could be where you live as well that affects growth. I'm in Scotland and we get cold and rain all year round, so we do need a bit of help with the veggies. It's not cheap but it works for me and keeps me motivated as things do actually grow.

CC

We are in Bristol, and although we are in a new build all the veg are in raised beds, grow bags or our plastic greenhouse, no veg in the ground apart from the fruit, raspberries and blueberries. I use his plant invigorator and really impressed with the results. Also use the slug pellets-they are brilliant. But so far flower power and lawn magic are not wowing me when compared with other products.

if you buy good plants ie f1 hybrids or sow the best f1 seeds you will have a fantastic display. i have used flower power for around 2 years and its not better than miracle grow or phosfrogen.

good cultivating makes a difference. for example pinching out small plants can triple the amount of flowers. dead heading encourages the plant to keep producing flowers. good compost and i actually prefer a good slow release food (miracle gro) to a liquid feed.

if you buy good plants ie f1 hybrids or sow the best f1 seeds you will have a fantastic display. i have used flower power for around 2 years and its not better than miracle grow or phosfrogen.

good cultivating makes a difference. for example pinching out small plants can triple the amount of flowers. dead heading encourages the plant to keep producing flowers. good compost and i actually prefer a good slow release food (miracle gro) to a liquid feed.

I have miracle grow for my chamellias and the hydrangeas I wish were blue (the pink box acid loving feed) and although my hydrangeas refuse to go blue again (I have tried everything! ) there are absolutely covered in flowers.

I use flower power on the rest of the garden and the flowers are ok (though by no means in abundance). Apart from my roses which I feed separately with Lidl rose feed.

My Lidl plant feed is a slow release one that I sprinkle on every 8 weeks. Looks like grey cat litter.

I have miracle grow for my chamellias and the hydrangeas I wish were blue (the pink box acid loving feed) and although my hydrangeas refuse to go blue again (I have tried everything! ) there are absolutely covered in flowers.

I use flower power on the rest of the garden and the flowers are ok (though by no means in abundance). Apart from my roses which I feed separately with Lidl rose feed.

My Lidl plant feed is a slow release one that I sprinkle on every 8 weeks. Looks like grey cat litter.

i like plant invigorator but can live without it now it accidently spilled in the kichen cupboard :headbang:

Where you live makes such a difference too though doesn't it?
I always laugh at Monty Don on Gardeners Wirld when he says that he has tough growing conditions living in Herefordshire.
We visit the area sometimes & it always seems so lush & green compared with where we live,very high on the Pennines. We have a pretty short growing season so some less hardy crops never really reach their full potential. We always say you can tell what season it is by how warm the rain is & I can barely remember a day when there isn't a wind blowing.

i live in london so its quite wet and warm and relatively sunny. its easy to grow tender plants here

I don't take much notice of Monty Don either as he does not garden to majority who have small plots! At least the late Geoff Hamilton used to have more normal sized plots to reflect the majority!
I prefer Carol Klein, and the Beechgrove gardeners!

I use Doff tomato food liquid from Home Bargains or B&M for £1.99, or if I'm really lucky I'll find it in POUNDLAND. I get lovely results from my wall baskets.

Latest posts

Back