Helene Berman & sizing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Just saw a bit of this hour with JK and even if tempted I would never think of trying from Q because of the sizing info. or more like lack of and of the lottery of getting something that fits!Looking on the website one style had the same measurements for each size, obviously a mistake.On air there there is often confusion ‘ go with your usual size’ cop out line.JK seems to do little or no research before a show & have always thought this.With garments such as these it is crucial to be specific, knitwear you can get away with not so with more tailored items.Wonder what the return rate is but then again the customer is standing the costs.

I always find with designer brands I need to size up as they are generally small on the cut. I usually buy a 10/12 but if it is designer I go for a 14 even although I'm not that size and they mostly fit. People will buy the wrong size because most of Q's clothes are stretchy but Helene Berman's things are not and will be unforgiving.

CC

This is one area where Julia Roberts would have done better... indeed any of the curvier presenters would probably have immediately thought about sizing for tailored non-stretch garments.

I've got a Helene Berman coat, I managed to get a brand new one from a seller on Amazon, It's classed as "oversized", they only had a size 10 available and I'm size 10-12 high street. I'd have never bought a size 10 if it was a normal coat or a fitted jacket. It was absolutely perfect, but I think the 12 would've swamped me. It is difficult when you aren't able to try things on before you buy them. One thing though, is that I'd never purchase clothing online from somewhere who charges p&p per item and doesn't do free returns!

HB is one of the rare brands at qvc that doesn’t look like slobbing around one size fits all gear. It’s tailored and has to fit. I’ve never tried but I think a 12 is a 12 etc. Of course you’d still need to use some judgment. If the item is described as oversize or has swing to it then going down a size might work. If it’s a neat jacket that buttons up maybe that could feel restricting and going up would be better but then there could be an issue with the shoulders or sleeves. It’s bad enough getting clothes that fit when you’re in a shop never mind watching tv. The reviews are often helpful though. I like shopping, feeling the fabric and trying things on.

Agree Bea. I always look at the size of the upper arm sleeve. Many tailored pieces can be very snug or not fit at all where arms are concerned, yet fit ok on the body. Sometimes even sizing up can be iffy. If the garment has a non-set -in sleeve but styled as raglan, then 'normal' sizing is probably ok.

Designers use the same sizing from 70 odd years ago, well the shape of a woman during the War years with rationing, the 60's with the advent of the Pill, is light years away from a woman's shape now. Yes, a size 12 back then, when clothes were all manufactured in the UK would be more accurate than a size 12 now made in China ! For years I would order a size 18/20 from the Kaleidoscope catalogue, but in recent times the cutting has been so skimpy that a size 18/20 would now struggle to fit a 12/14 !!!

Agree Bea. I always look at the size of the upper arm sleeve. Many tailored pieces can be very snug or not fit at all where arms are concerned, yet fit ok on the body. Sometimes even sizing up can be iffy. If the garment has a non-set -in sleeve but styled as raglan, then 'normal' sizing is probably ok.

Designers use the same sizing from 70 odd years ago, well the shape of a woman during the War years with rationing, the 60's with the advent of the Pill, is light years away from a woman's shape now. Yes, a size 12 back then, when clothes were all manufactured in the UK would be more accurate than a size 12 now made in China ! For years I would order a size 18/20 from the Kaleidoscope catalogue, but in recent times the cutting has been so skimpy that a size 18/20 would now struggle to fit a 12/14 !!!
Good point about where clothes (and shoes) are made. The fit models most likely will be local to the place of manufacture. Do they have, on average, wider or narrower feet than Brits? Body proportions can differ, as can shape - more or less rear projection (bigger, more rounded bum or smaller flatter bum)… all can increase the difficulty of purchasing clothes with a good fit.
As for sizes. I remember being able to wear a size 12 pencil skirt back in the day. The same skirt would now be a size 8 or 10!!!

Finding clothes that fits its both an art and a science and Merryone your spot on when you say you wont buy clothes if returns are not free. QVC are a rare breed when it comes to that. Most companies give you a free returns label or have a High Street store that takes back returns.
I am tall but only recently worked out I am long in the body. M&S do high waisted trousers and shorts.The difference can mean me wearing a size down and a perfect fit. You would not have the information on QVC to work out that issue.

Considering the presenters have now the benefits of guests who are claimed stylist, personal shoppers, clothing designers, fashion buyers and fit models etc. etc.
So there is no reason now whatsoever that the full information isn’t given to the potential customer.
IMHO and I have told QVC this on more than one occasion recently that too much is placed on when and where you would wear the item they are selling, plus if the presenter has it or is going to have it, with other information not being given.

That’s exactly right DG. They skim over the detail and sell an aspiration. If they give too much information they’d lose half the sales because the proportions would be all wrong for a lot of people. That’s why so much stuff is super stretchy or floaty, too patterned and long. It’s camouflage! At just over 5’ tall I’d gladly never see another tunic again and don’t mention shark bite or high-low🙄. And as for the eye watering prices... where do they get them from?

Totally agree Bea. With the price increases of EVERYTHING either now or in the future, I'm glad I have a stash of clothes stock in my wardrobe, and if I take the time I could cobble together an outfit for all potential occasions, so QVC won't be selling me any more 'fashion' .

Everything QVC sell is a price far higher than the high street. The Beauty dept is not bad but will not be buying clothes, shoes, coats from QVC. The postage price for every item sold is another factor.

Latest posts

Back