How has life changed?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
I used to work in an office until last Thursday. Now my office is my sitting room. I am so lucky that my work can carry on remotely, and that my company insists every team has regular video calls.

I've started daily phone calls with my friend who is in her early 80's, we are alternating who calls. Not just a how are you, but the sort of chat you have when you get together. I'm calling more friends than I normally do, as typically I'm phone-phobic I just never call.

I'm plotting more decluttering and reorganisation. I'm planning to learn yoga. I'm going to keep walking unless we are asked to stay indoors.

I am trying to make my work life as separate as I can from my home life, but keep to the routine of getting prepared for work as if I'm still going into an office. Let's see how long that lasts!

I am also incredibly grateful to everyone on this forum for all the stories, humour and heartfelt concern about others in current circumstances.

That's where I am after 6 days working from home.

What about you? Has your situation changed? Have you had to adapt to a change in circumstances?

I'm retired & my Mr T does consultancy work for his former employer, we're now both at home...

My Slimming World meetings have been suspended - have free Tuesday mornings.

I usually look after our granddaughter on Wednesdays & Thursdays, however, my daughter's a teacher & her husband's a school data manager so they'll be at home for most of the time meaning I will not be needed regularly, if at all.

Our other daughter's pregnant, her husband's working from home & their children aren't in school so we did a WhatsApp video call yesterday & will do one every few days. They live in Somerset & as she's high risk we're not going to visit which is awful.

I've got the garden, housework, plenty of books, needle felting & may paint the kitchen.

We both love walking so will get out when the weather's good & I've changed my hair appointment to this morning just in case the situation becomes total Martial Law & I don't want to look like a Yeti.

We don't have elderly relatives or neighbours so asked someone who is a local church warden if she needed any help & she's snowed under with offers which is good so I don't feel too bad just doing ordinary life under extraordinary circumstances.

I feel exactly the same about this forum & those who belong here. I'm just amazed by how quickly all this has happened; many lives will be changed forever & the whole situation has shown, if ever it was needed, just how fragile life is & that civilisation has a very thin skin that tears easily.

I`m only going out when I have to which is to either shop for food or walk the dog. Mr V works part time as a taxi driver but will be at home from Monday. There are few customers and he feels the younger drivers with mortgages and young families need what little work there is more than we do. Our local bus services have been cut back to one bus per hour because of lack of passengers plus drivers off sick or in isolation.
Mr V is almost 70 and I`m in my mid 60`s but so far fingers crossed neither of us have shown symptoms or been ill. I`d like it to stay that way for as long as possible.
I`m quite content at home and always find something to occupy me but Mr V will drive me nuts from Monday and may well end up being locked in the shed or buried under the patio. Plus he eats constantly when he`s bored.
One of my sons has had to go into complete lock down. He has a serious lung condition and was on a medical trial for a new drug which worked fantastically for him. He has monthly injections of this drug at the hospital and they`ve told him that he has to do total isolation. It`s hard for him because he recently had a broken leg and needed surgery and 12 weeks off work and now he`s off again.

Me and the husband are both 54 and lucky enough to be able to have retired early, the only way it’ll affect us really is not seeing our two sons, daughter in laws and grandsons as much or if at all, one daughter in law is pregnant and due in October so for me and the husband our family safety is paramount. We’re not pub people but do like a meal out but can live without that. So we’re going to potter round the house and the garden, stock up on board games and take each day as it comes. The husband is so funny and has a positive attitude so it helps with trying to keep everyone’s spirits up. So really we’re lucky enough it’s not a major lifestyle change for us, but know it will be for a lot of people.

OH has been signed off as he's in a risk category and was signed off for three months on full pay...however as a betting shop manager this probably won't happen now they've closed all the betting shops...He's gonna be in the same boat financially as everybody else. I work in a supermarket..Thankfully I do most of my shifts upstairs in the staff canteen 'cause it's mayhem on the shopfloor. Obvs everything we do socially has had to stop....so no weekly pub quiz. No holidays...two in the pipeline, both cancelled, a couple of gigs coming up...cancelled. But the biggest change is the sense of fear in the pit of my stomach. We're not big goer outers , pub drinks and the odd meal out are a special treat...and although no major lifestyle changes....Nothing to look forward too...very dark times!
I'm not able to embrace all these "hunker down with a good book"...catch up on your dvd collection.....That's rainy day stuff for me..couldn't concentrate …some tv shows keep my mind of it for a bit...I love the idea of hunkering down but not because not hunkering down you're potentially risking your life...Sorry but I'm a proper worry wort at the best of times....I'll be drinking more I should think..which isn't necessarily a good thing..but gonna be sensible..honest!

Last edited:
I am single, live alone, don't drive and am an only child. My parents fortunately live locally but are 85+ and I'm becoming increasingly concerned about sourcing food for them and I. Despairing about the attitude of shoppers being displayed. My mum and I usually venture out weekly to shop buying just what we need for the week and this hasn't changed but availability has got worse over the past few weeks. Spoke to my mum today and she feels unwell, hoping it's not you-know-what. Can see it will get to the stage where I will have to venture out daily to see what I can get. Fortunately I don't work. I was diagnosed as diabetic in December, have been following a low carb/sugar diet [two stone lost since January, yay!] so not eating potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, pastry, sweet stuff etc. but need meat/fish/eggs/dairy/veg which is my basic diet.

Weekly pub quiz is cancelled UFN, ditto the pensioners' bingo I run so my social life will be hunter/gatherer for the foreseeable future! I will be socializing by phoning friends to keep in touch rather than text/email as I think a chat will be so much better.

Living alone I'm used to my own company. Good excuse to have a good spring clean, sort out stuff to go to the charity shop at some time in the future {although already took loads last year] and do gardening. Plenty stored to watch & lots on TV, playing games & quizzes and chatting online.

Try to stay positive everyone ❤

I might finally defrost my freezer. One of the drawers opens under protest. No doubt over the coming weeks there will be projects, but I don't want to burn out.
I tidied up my vanity earlier, then went out for a walk. It is very cold today, even in London. Felt fantastic for the exercise.
A few things I have been finding very cheering: think of the things you are thankful for on a daily basis; going outside and doing exercise of some sort; finding some irresistible music and dance around your sitting room, or boogie in your chair; see if you have a friend or neighbour who needs help - even if it's just to give them a call and a chat from 2 metres away! Laugh! Go on YouTube and find a favourite comedian, funny film or tv series. Or look out the box sets on BBC or ITV, or other tv providers.

Janey, do you have to drive to your shops? Most are bringing in protected shopping hours, which you may be able to access, given you are shopping for your parents. Or maybe sign up to a supermarket online shopping? In the short term you will still struggle, but once you have regular deliveries set up for you and your parents, it may give you some peace of mind to know the food will be coming. I have found M&S well stocked, even for basics. It's more expensive, and may not be convenient for you when you live, but it could be an option.

Strato, you are well prepared! You can give us film reviews, if you feel so inclined? Unless it's your fave muesli, I'm not sure I would have made the same efforts you did!

Merryone, I feel for you! It is hard not to let this terrible new reality take over everything. Most people diagnosed with this ARE getting better. Most of us are trying to do the social distancing thing for others' said as well as our own. Lean on this forum, too, for some humour and some down to earth good sense.

Shopps, you sound like you have the perfect hobbies to keep you busy, but it must be a wrench not seeing your sons you speak so highly of, your grandkids and sharing the joy of your dil's pregnancy face to face. It sounds like your hubby has a good attitude for the uncertain times ahead.

Twilight congratulations on your impending grandbaby! Lovely news even in trying times like these. I envy you the garden to get busy in. It's good to get some regular get together over social media - something to look forward to is so important. Totally with you on the hair front!

Vienna, your poor son! It sounds like he's already been through the wringer a time of two recently. I think you and anyone with a pet will feel the benefits both the ability to keep getting out for walks if the rules become more restrictive, but also their uncomplicated love and cuddles...so far they don't think there's a risk of transmission to pets.

I see QVC are trying to start trending with a hashtag, is there no level this company will stoop to to capitalise on a global disaster. They’re on about taking your mind off what’s happening yet every time I’ve channel hopped on QVC, that’s all they’ve flaming been going on about. 😳

I sent this to my OH, we are self-isolating separately at the moment.

It is a video of a song. The singer was runner up in "The Voice USA".

She recorded this on her tour bus / home, she can't do any gigs now, all venues closed in US too :(

(If it says something about a security check, click on it, it is not a scam, then it should play).

Will try it myself now from this post to see if it works. It did :)

https://www.facebook.com/casijoymusic/videos/236789464007904/

Last edited:
I see QVC are trying to start trending with a hashtag, is there no level this company will stoop to to capitalise on a global disaster. They’re on about taking your mind off what’s happening yet every time I’ve channel hopped on QVC, that’s all they’ve flaming been going on about. 😳
#insensitive#greedy#soulless#goodbye

I sent this to my OH, we are self-isolating separately at the moment.

It is a video of a song. The singer was runner up in "The Voice USA".

She recorded this on her tour bus / home, she can't do any gigs now, all venues closed in US too :(
Thank you
(If it says something about a security check, click on it, it is not a scam, then it should play).

Will try it myself now from this post to see if it works. It did :)

https://www.facebook.com/casijoymusic/videos/236789464007904/
Thank you, that was lovely, what a powerful voice.

I might finally defrost my freezer. One of the drawers opens under protest. No doubt over the coming weeks there will be projects, but I don't want to burn out.
I tidied up my vanity earlier, then went out for a walk. It is very cold today, even in London. Felt fantastic for the exercise.
A few things I have been finding very cheering: think of the things you are thankful for on a daily basis; going outside and doing exercise of some sort; finding some irresistible music and dance around your sitting room, or boogie in your chair; see if you have a friend or neighbour who needs help - even if it's just to give them a call and a chat from 2 metres away! Laugh! Go on YouTube and find a favourite comedian, funny film or tv series. Or look out the box sets on BBC or ITV, or other tv providers.

Janey, do you have to drive to your shops? Most are bringing in protected shopping hours, which you may be able to access, given you are shopping for your parents. Or maybe sign up to a supermarket online shopping? In the short term you will still struggle, but once you have regular deliveries set up for you and your parents, it may give you some peace of mind to know the food will be coming. I have found M&S well stocked, even for basics. It's more expensive, and may not be convenient for you when you live, but it could be an option.

Strato, you are well prepared! You can give us film reviews, if you feel so inclined? Unless it's your fave muesli, I'm not sure I would have made the same efforts you did!

Merryone, I feel for you! It is hard not to let this terrible new reality take over everything. Most people diagnosed with this ARE getting better. Most of us are trying to do the social distancing thing for others' said as well as our own. Lean on this forum, too, for some humour and some down to earth good sense.

Shopps, you sound like you have the perfect hobbies to keep you busy, but it must be a wrench not seeing your sons you speak so highly of, your grandkids and sharing the joy of your dil's pregnancy face to face. It sounds like your hubby has a good attitude for the uncertain times ahead.

Twilight congratulations on your impending grandbaby! Lovely news even in trying times like these. I envy you the garden to get busy in. It's good to get some regular get together over social media - something to look forward to is so important. Totally with you on the hair front!

Vienna, your poor son! It sounds like he's already been through the wringer a time of two recently. I think you and anyone with a pet will feel the benefits both the ability to keep getting out for walks if the rules become more restrictive, but also their uncomplicated love and cuddles...so far they don't think there's a risk of transmission to pets.
What a lovely post 💐

I saw three bumblebees & a loveliness of ladybirds while I was cutting the grass in the front garden this afternoon. A loveliness of ladybirds, what a wonderful collective noun & it made me feel hopeful 🐞

I saw three bumblebees & a loveliness of ladybirds while I was cutting the grass in the front garden this afternoon. A loveliness of ladybirds, what a wonderful collective noun & it made me feel hopeful 🐞
Fabulous! I wonder what a collective noun for bumble bees* would be? Spring is coming. We have cherry blossom trees flowering down my street, and in the park there are dwarf daffodils (I reckon the nearby flower shop may have planted them!) bravely bobbing in the breeze. We've had crocuses putting on a show, but the birds do love the petals, sadly.

*I think it might be a hum, which is lovely.

Fabulous! I wonder what a collective noun for bumble bees* would be? Spring is coming. We have cherry blossom trees flowering down my street, and in the park there are dwarf daffodils (I reckon the nearby flower shop may have planted them!) bravely bobbing in the breeze. We've had crocuses putting on a show, but the birds do love the petals, sadly.

*I think it might be a hum, which is lovely.
What lovely images. I like a 'hum' of bees so had a look & there are quite a few:
a bike of bees
a charm of bees
a cluster of bees
an erst of bees
a game of bees
a grist of bees
a hive of bees
a hum of bees
a nest of bees
a rabble of bees
a swarm of bees

There are supermarkets a short bus ride away, restricted on the amount of stuff I can carry. Don't have a local M&S unfortunately. Home delivery slots in this area are rarer than toilet rolls at the moment although I was woken up this morning by a Tesco delivery guy clattering about outside my bedroom window.

Ventured out to Sainsbury's this morning after the OAP hour. Shelves nowhere near as well stocked as they would be in normal times. Very little frozen veg, tinned stuff and no eggs whatsoever, plenty of bread and did manage to get a pack of toilet rolls! Was given a bunch of flowers on the way out by staff, presumably Mothers' Day leftovers, easier to get rid of them rather than waste resources getting rid of them and a good bit of PR for Sainsbury's.

Last edited:
Apparently there has been a boom in live chicken purchases. Hope they get looked after properly, and don't become dinner for the foxes. That might be a way to secure eggs.

Apparently there has been a boom in live chicken purchases. Hope they get looked after properly, and don't become dinner for the foxes. That might be a way to secure eggs.

I quite like the idea of going all "Good Life" and giving a home to a few ex-batteries. My grandad kept chickens during the war but sadly I have no room as I live in a flat, my parents have the room but are too old to look after them 🐔🐔🐔

I fear that when all this is over those who obtained chickens will just turf them out as too much trouble :(

Latest posts

Back