I Pads ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Also, if you have an iPhone, you can set it up as a hotspot and connect your wi-fi only ipad to it (thereby using your iPhones 3/4G signal)...Saves spending an extra £100 for the 3/4G model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As long as your phone package allows tethering, not all do. Handy to have though as you say :)

PJ

I was reading an article about this type of thing quite a while back. Think it was on The Register but the author pointed out that it was a very narrow view of IT that the school board/governors were going down the route of iPads in education. It was noted that the closed system i.e. support and outlay was going to cost far more than buying an ordinary laptop/pc let alone the limited ability of the iPad but the people in charge had been swayed by the glamour of Apple. Yeah, basically calling them idiots for not looking over the walled garden and sapping the ICT budget!

Are there any packages that don't allow it any more? Bit behind the times those that don't methinks :)

Some of the ones that are all you can eat data (as in genuinely no limits) don't like it. Otherwise you could tether your laptop and download whatever. Some people still get away with it but they can tell. Most do accept it though.

PJ

Also, if you have an iPhone, you can set it up as a hotspot and connect your wi-fi only ipad to it (thereby using your iPhones 3/4G signal)...Saves spending an extra £100 for the 3/4G model.

Indeed but you would need an i-phone first.:wink:

You don't need an iphone for tethering. Many smartphones include some kind of tethering functionality or there are apps to enable it if not included as part of their default feature set.

With apple the network needs to enable it for it to show up in settings. For android phones its possible to set them up and the network need not know you're doing it although some specifically prohibit it in their T&Cs.

Saddo moment but I have tethered my ipad to a 3G android tablet before and it worked fine.

I really don't comprehend the relevance of this post, especially in the QVC forum. The school asking parents to purchase ipads for their children, has nothing to do with QVC. Apple products are available at many official stockists.

I have to ask whats tethering?

Tethering is basically connecting another device to the internet using the phone's mobile connection

ipad/android/laptop -> wifi or bluetooth -> phone -> mobile signal -> internet

Latest posts

Back