Kathryn Goldsmith

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Marie is often pronounced in Irish as Mari, think of the song ‘going to Marie’s wedding’ I had a friend at school her name was spelt Marie but she was marree, also of Irish decent. I was a single parent, and went through pregnancy alone, so names were just left to me, I’d always liked my moms name, so gave her that, Josephine, she hated it when she was young, but now really likes it !

I like Josephine..and I know one and she loves her name too. Going back to the ones where they've got the normal spelling but are pronounced differently...I remember a Karen who said it Kairen, why spell it Karen when she's not called Karen? Don't even get me started on the Aarons who are actually called Arran! Like you say Brissles….a total minefield!

like others my pet hate is people doubling letters or taking a perfectly normal name and substituting letters (usually vowels ) or joining daft half names together to make another which makes no sense altogether.

All of these pale into insignificance when compared to Elon Musk's baby's name.

The parents should be arrested for child abuse. It's a small human in your care, not a ****** plaything or a means of drawing attention to yourself and starting a sensation on social media. Idiot people. I hope social services are keeping a close eye.

I like Josephine..and I know one and she loves her name too. Going back to the ones where they've got the normal spelling but are pronounced differently...I remember a Karen who said it Kairen, why spell it Karen when she's not called Karen? Don't even get me started on the Aarons who are actually called Arran! Like you say Brissles….a total minefield!

Yes, I quite like Aaron, but to pronounce it Arran is something else ! At least (I dont think anyway) we have gone down the North, West, South road, whatever, that the Kadashians have come up with 🤭 🤭 . I remember when Brooklyn Beckham (the workshy eldest who has just got engaged - "and what attracted you to the Billionaires daughter Brooklyn?), had been named by his parents, a lot of witty wags threatened to call their kids Southwold, Margate, High Wycombe 🤭

Having been a teacher for 44 years, I encountered some very bizarre names. One unusual one that sticks in my mind was a lad called Aeneas. The family pronounced it “Aynes” and he insisted that it should have been pronounced “Anus.” 😳
My teaching career was for 20 years & I came across quite a few but none quite like that!

A lady who works at the same company as me is called Naoise (pronounced Neesha). The amount of people who ring for her and just ask to speak to the lady with the weird name is unbelievable.
Absolutely pointless if you ask me, if you want your child to be called Neesha, flamimg well spell it Neesha.

A lady who works at the same company as me is called Naoise (pronounced Neesha). The amount of people who ring for her and just ask to speak to the lady with the weird name is unbelievable.
Absolutely pointless if you ask me, if you want your child to be called Neesha, flamimg well spell it Neesha.
With the exception of Polish surnames, my grandparents was an absolute corker, I find Irish names the most difficult tp pronounce, beautiful but difficult.

I kid you not...back in days of the good old school run....I came across children called T'sha, L'thanyol and Ai'shah. Pronounced as Teesha, Lathaniel and eye-sha. Call me old fashioned but I really don't think that an apostrophe has a place in a person's first name! Another funny one was a birthday greeting in my local paper for someone called LEA KING..and yes it was spelled out in capital letters and even funnier was that my son's girlfriend at the time actually knew her and it turned out that it's pronounced as Leah!

Half of them sound like American gangsters

imagine being 60 and people shouting for “precious “, “princess” or “Kimboynce” at the bingo.

Mind you I’ve always liked the name Blue for a girl so I’ve no room to talk!

Isn’t that just an Irish name? Some of them are pronounce totally differently from how they look e.g. Niamh and Saoirse.

Isn’t that just an Irish name? Some of them are pronounce totally differently from how they look e.g. Niamh and Saoirse.

I know Niamh is Neeve, and the last one is also the name of an actress, SO PLEASE put me out of my misery, how is it pronounced ????

See ? thats the problem isn't it, naming a child that everyone has difficulty in saying. Up until recently I thought Ghislaine (Maxwell) WAS Gislane, but no, its Gilane according to the tele.

I know Niamh is Neeve, and the last one is also the name of an actress, SO PLEASE put me out of my misery, how is it pronounced ????

See ? thats the problem isn't it, naming a child that everyone has difficulty in saying. Up until recently I thought Ghislaine (Maxwell) WAS Gislane, but no, its Gilane according to the tele.
Searsha

Latest posts

Back