Lots of fashion?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Anyone think there are lots of fashion shows on atm? They seem to have two or three one after the other on the main channel? I thought beauty was their big seller.
Getting rid of old stock, I think. The same old tired garments shown time and again. Looks like Ben di Lisi might not be selling too well. Tons of his shows, and Ruth's.

I do enjoy watching the fashion shows, trouble is I keep seeing stuff I like but I'm proudly managing to keep it in check with my one in one out rule. I fell in love with a blue floral dress, so I got rid of a dress I hardly ever wear, similarly with the comfy denim jacket, I got rid of a faux fur thing I think I've only ever worn twice. What does stop me buying apart from the ridiculously high prices and postage is the fact most of it is pure sweaty polyester. I was actually in the market for a new summer dress since putting on my favourite cotton one last week to find that the shirring at the back had perished - I went straight to my catalogue and got a beautiful cotton summer dress for the princely sum of £13 (delivered) and it's perfect! You can imagine the fuss Q would make " This is 100% organic fair trade cotton that's why it's a million pounds! It's good for a laugh and despite everything I do like Ruth and Jackie's banter. I also like Q fashion shows for ideas as gone are the days when I liked to traipse around clothes shops, I find what I like on Q and find it cheaper online elsewhere. As a side note - I do wish polyester wasn't so sweaty 'cause it's so easy to care for - The couple of Kim and Co dresses I've got are literally wash n' wear, on a nice day they dry in less than an hour!

I believe we found out Beauty was the biggest seller on QVC, followed by fashion and then jewellery.

If they had a proper sale to clear out the older stock, then it would move things along.
Good idea. I’d be willing to take a risk on items I’ve liked over the season but were too expensive, if they were offered at 30% or more off. Taking the odd £5 of things is pointless.

I do enjoy watching the fashion shows, trouble is I keep seeing stuff I like but I'm proudly managing to keep it in check with my one in one out rule. I fell in love with a blue floral dress, so I got rid of a dress I hardly ever wear, similarly with the comfy denim jacket, I got rid of a faux fur thing I think I've only ever worn twice. What does stop me buying apart from the ridiculously high prices and postage is the fact most of it is pure sweaty polyester. I was actually in the market for a new summer dress since putting on my favourite cotton one last week to find that the shirring at the back had perished - I went straight to my catalogue and got a beautiful cotton summer dress for the princely sum of £13 (delivered) and it's perfect! You can imagine the fuss Q would make " This is 100% organic fair trade cotton that's why it's a million pounds! It's good for a laugh and despite everything I do like Ruth and Jackie's banter. I also like Q fashion shows for ideas as gone are the days when I liked to traipse around clothes shops, I find what I like on Q and find it cheaper online elsewhere. As a side note - I do wish polyester wasn't so sweaty 'cause it's so easy to care for - The couple of Kim and Co dresses I've got are literally wash n' wear, on a nice day they dry in less than an hour!
You mean Fair Trade organic cotton, hand picked by peasants in an isolated part of somewhere,washed in mineral springs before being blown dry in warm winds, then hand sewn by maidens🤣
Re Kim's dresses they don't crease. I've got a lovely grey crepe one of hers from years ago would love a pastel coloured one for summer.

I rarely buy fashion from Q now, and I refuse to buy polyester - apart from the sweaty betty aspect, its full of plastics that never disintegrate - hence the amount of disgusting 'fashion' piled high in Africa.

I buy from Sahara in the sale, and comfy clothes from Lagenlook. Generally linen mix or viscose.

I rarely buy fashion from Q now, and I refuse to buy polyester - apart from the sweaty betty aspect, its full of plastics that never disintegrate - hence the amount of disgusting 'fashion' piled high in Africa.

I buy from Sahara in the sale, and comfy clothes from Lagenlook. Generally linen mix or viscose.
Yes, I refuse to buy cotton because of its environmental impact. Stacey Dooley did a brilliant documentary about how a huge lake had been lost in Asia because of the water used in the manufacture of cotton. Of course, I avoid buying anything from China.
I feel sorry for those who can't wear manmade materials. Luckily most of our athletes can. Because I buy these garments, they last ages and I don't need to send them to landfill. A lot of companies are now producing their recycled polyester.
Viscose is a good manmade product. Hate ironing and crumpled clothes so linen is out for me.

I don't mind a bit of polyester as it's so easy to look after but I won't pay over the odds for it, but I do like clothes to be made out of natural fabrics due to the breathability as well as the look. I don't buy things with the intention of ditching them after one season, I'm far too old for that malarkey, but I also hate the idea of these mountains of clothing in landfill, so buy infrequently and carefully. Sadly I think if fast fashion was a thing in my youth I wouldn't have given a monkeys as long as I looked on trend and could afford to keep on buying things so I wasn't seen in the same outfit. Thing is in my youth we had to make do with what we could afford, no Primark, Shein, Boohoo etc so us teens were all in the same boat, that's probably why it wasn't so much of an issue, we all wore the same things time after time, swapped clothes with friends, borrowed our mum's stuff, the skinnier amongst us could buy from children's departments to save money, we rifled through the bargain bins on the pavement outside stores and to be honest we all looked great. Obviously I have no idea what it's like to be young now with all this disposable fashion but I'd imagine it just adds pressure and stress, so I think that the days of my youth were better in more ways than one!

The climate where I live is very hot and humid in summer, so poly is out of the question. I wear linen and I don't iron it. The result is that my clothes look crumpled because it's too much of a fag to use the iron and the steamer doesn't do a perfect job. Anyway, linen will look creased after an hour or so of wearing. I just accept it but if I were to go somewhere "nice", I'd make an effort. I never go anywhere "nice"!

The climate where I live is very hot and humid in summer, so poly is out of the question. I wear linen and I don't iron it. The result is that my clothes look crumpled because it's too much of a fag to use the iron and the steamer doesn't do a perfect job. Anyway, linen will look creased after an hour or so of wearing. I just accept it but if I were to go somewhere "nice", I'd make an effort. I never go anywhere "nice"!
I like Linen I know it creases but thats the characteristics of it. A bit Like silk and other natural fibres. Jaeger have a sale in M&S and I am buying as much as I can with the big discounts. They are all classic and worth every penny.

I saw an article by a young woman who used to design for M&S and some other stores.
She has stopped designing for them as when visiting her mother who lives in Nairobi she saw what was once a lovely flower filled area piled high with clothing. The picture showed what must have been a shipping container sized pile of clothes.
What made her stop designing for High Street stores was the fact that some of the clothing were her designs and had only been on sale in the last 6 months.
She didn't actually say were the clothes were made but you can probably guesst it was China,Vietnam Bangladesh etc.
Going off topic,as we do,hubby ordered a Max/Min thermometer for the greenhouse from Amazon. He was gobsmacked to see it was made in....... Cumbria!!!!

I saw an article by a young woman who used to design for M&S and some other stores.
She has stopped designing for them as when visiting her mother who lives in Nairobi she saw what was once a lovely flower filled area piled high with clothing. The picture showed what must have been a shipping container sized pile of clothes.
What made her stop designing for High Street stores was the fact that some of the clothing were her designs and had only been on sale in the last 6 months.
She didn't actually say were the clothes were made but you can probably guesst it was China,Vietnam Bangladesh etc.
Going off topic,as we do,hubby ordered a Max/Min thermometer for the greenhouse from Amazon. He was gobsmacked to see it was made in....... Cumbria!!!!

Yes, the factory that makes them is only a five minute walk from me.
And before he retired, my lovely dad worked for them for over 10 years.

Patsy. Why were the clothes dumped in a place that was a flower garden? Why did the clothes go to Nairobi in the first place? What happened to the clothes?
She didn't say,posted a picture of the piles of clothes. She surmised that they may have come from charity shops but the majority looked new to her.

Latest posts

Back