Miele S8 Pure Cylinder Vacuum TSV 03/02/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So am I the only person who doesn't regularly have an even coating of Maxwell House on my kitchen floor to vacuum up?

The couple next door but one are Miele freaks and every week the Miele repair man is parked outside (or so it seems). Either they give really excellent service and pop round weekly to check their appliances are functioning correctly, or they're involved in some sordid appliance-related threesome, or their washer, dishwasher and vacuum are forever breaking down. It doesn't inspire confidence whatever they're up to!

I'd love one of the washing machines (she says wistfully), but I know I am never actually going to cough up the dosh... Especially in this hard water area.

Akimbo, I vote for the electrical threesome. I really do want to believe in a brand that provides such superb/build quality, even though I know it is just a myth, like self cleaning ovens, one size/colour fits all, and 'it will change your life'.

Last edited:
I was round their house once when the Miele man came a-calling. Jill (we'll call her Jill because that's her name) was keen to stress to MM (aka miele man) that she clears the lint trap after every wash. Every wash? My washer dryer only need any interference with it's filter when DD has washed her clothes with hair grips in the pockets or cotton buds and the like! So unless MM is popping round to clear Jill's tubes on a weekly basis then I 'm not sure the extra cost is worth it!

i have an aeg/electrolux for 7 years have never had to do anything bar put the washing in and choose my programme. as for miele vacume cleaners mine broke after 3 years and miele who stress that thier products are built to last 20 years ( not guranteed for 20 years though) that i must find £75 to fix it 8 years ago. threw it away. biggest waste of money. my parent had one that broke 2/3 years after it was bought. my friend keeps buying them like how you buy a box of tissues.

I don't feel I'm missing anything amazing by not owning a Miele; there's an element of "Emperor's new clothes" amongst Miele owners* if they've spent so much on an appliance it's hard to admit if they didn't live up to expectations. (*ok I only know Jill so it's a limited survey)

How often do you wash and tumble a rose FFS? What does that prove? If it's that gentle would it get beaten in and dried mud off DS's footy socks? Since I've lived in a hard water down here in Sussex I've just accepted that appliances that heat water just don't live as long now matter whether you throw Calgon or similar at the problem, so I'd be cautious about buying such a sensitive machine for so much money.

But I don't want to put off Miele buyers from posting their views because I really don't have any experience of the brand and I'm always saddened by the occasional "more money than sense" posts because we can all spend our hard-earned cash on anything we like. I personally spend more on handbags than household appliances which isn't a sensible choice when you think about it!

All my hopes and dreams crushed... Sniff.

Not that I would ever have bought one, the water round here will kill a steam cleaner in 3 months. Pointless risking that happening on something that costs £1000!

Last edited:
Zannussi. Can strongly reccommend. Had my washer dryer almost 7 years, 4 house moves and 2 children later. I live in a very hard water area and have used the Lidl version of Calgon every wash. We have had to clear the drain filter a few times, which you would expect. We will re-purchase. MUCH cheaper than Miele. We chose the one with the larger drum capacity due to heavy use, so we tend to do 1 dry for every 2 washes. It was a godsend when the children were babies (still is) and with this awful rain I would not be without a washer/dryer again.

My friend has a Miele tumble dryer that broke down after a few years, the chap who came to look at it quoted £600 to fix it! She's going to get a new cheaper model this week.

Latest posts

Back