Mookite "ONLY from Australia"?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AnnaBanana

Registered Shopper
I like Mookite, but I am a bit confused about something. The presenters are always saying on air that Mookite is only found in Australia and that is where, obviously, the stones they use in QVC's Mookite jewellery comes from, but I have noticed that there are several Mookite pieces on the website where it clearly states that the stones have been sourced from China...... Now I may have dropped out of school at the age of 15 but even I know that China isn't in Australia :wonder:

Examples:

"Item No. 670243
Description

Boasting gorgeous earthy tones that will complement any outfit, this mookite necklace is sure to become a much-loved piece in your own jewellery collection. This long 50cm (19.6") necklace is made up of graduating rondelle beads of mookites, all faceted and polished to a shining finish. The necklace fastens with a sterling silver lobster claw clasp, and also has a 6cm (2.4") extender chain, giving it an adjustable fit.

* Mookite rondell beads: 19x (3mm x 8mm), 18 x (3mm x 9mm), 16 x (4mm x 10mm), 24 x (4mm x 11mm)
* All stones are sourced in China
* Length: about 50cm (19.6")
* Sterling silver extender: about 6cm (2.4")
* Sterling silver lobster claw clasp
* Total mookite weight: 416 carats"

"Item No. 699954
Description

Discover the glorious natural tones of mookite with our gorgeous necklace and pendant. The necklace is made up of 46 flat tumble beads of mookite, each measuring about 9mm x 8mm. The pendant is a single large mookite flat tumble bead, measuring approximately 54mm x 39mm (2.1" x 1.5"). The necklace is about 50cm (19.7") in length and has an additional 5cm (2") sterling silver extender chain with a lobster claw clasp. All the stones have a mixture of natural hues of yellow, brown, black and white.

* Mookite: 1 x flat tumble bead (54mm x 39mm), 46 x flat tumble beads (9mm x 8mm)
* Mookite is sourced from China
* Sterling silver extender chain (5cm/2") and lobster claw clasp
* Length: approximately 50cm (19.7")
* Mookite: 252 carats"

"Item No. 699959
Description

Go for trendy oversized beading with this fabulous mookite necklace. The necklace is set with eight stunning mookite stones in an unusual long teardrop shape. Stationed between these cones of mookite, are 41 tumble-cut mookite. In a gorgeous array of colours including yellow, brown, black and white, the necklace will add rich colour and depth to just about any outfit.

* 8 x tear drop mookite (35mm x 10mm)
* 41 x tumble-cut mookite (10mm)
* Mookite sourced from China
* Necklace fastens with a sterling silver lobster clasp
* Necklace is about 76cm (30") in length"

P.S. Apologies if this has already been mentioned here previously.

Someone's geography's not up to scratch then lol

And QVC's presenters giving misleading descriptions to customers? Whatever next? :cheeky:

Someone's geography's not up to scratch then lol

And QVC's presenters giving misleading descriptions to customers? Whatever next? :cheeky:

I don't know why I'm in the least bit surprised, it's completely within character of a company which seems to make a living from lying to its customers :dull:

But Mookite only comes from Australia so why are they stating it is sourced in China??

I think this is another case of misrepresentation from QVC. They bang on and on about how it can only be found in Australia and then sell stuff that has been sourced in China. I noticed a while ago that they state on the website that some of their Mookite comes from China and did a bit of online research and found that Mookite can also be found in China.

Someone ought to tell the presenters that they are giving false information and misleading the customers { again ! }

I think this is another case of misrepresentation from QVC. They bang on and on about how it can only be found in Australia and then sell stuff that has been sourced in China. I noticed a while ago that they state on the website that some of their Mookite comes from China and did a bit of online research and found that Mookite can also be found in China.

Someone ought to tell the presenters that they are giving false information and misleading the customers { again ! }

Exactly right - my problem isn't with where it is sourced, but with the fact that they are telling us mistruths (again!!). I think they're trying to "big it up" as another single source gemstome like Tanzanite in order to make it somehow more desriable, when it just isn't necessary - if I like something, I couldn't give two hoots where it comes from so I'd rather they were just honest with us.

It's either that or a serious case of crossed wires where the presenters are concerned - perhaps they were told at first that Australia was where Mookite was originally found and they took that to mean that is ONLY where it is found?

Whatever the case may be, it's wrong of them in my opinion.

Exactly right - my problem isn't with where it is sourced, but with the fact that they are telling us mistruths (again!!). I think they're trying to "big it up" as another single source gemstome like Tanzanite in order to make it somehow more desriable, when it just isn't necessary - if I like something, I couldn't give two hoots where it comes from so I'd rather they were just honest with us.

It's either that or a serious case of crossed wires where the presenters are concerned - perhaps they were told at first that Australia was where Mookite was originally found and they took that to mean that is ONLY where it is found?

Whatever the case may be, it's wrong of them in my opinion.

QVC are not the only channel who states that it is only found in Australia and also quick search on google shows many a site which states it is only found in Australia.

Mookaite (Mookite) does only come from Australia. The only thing I can think of is QVC have bought it from a supplier in China who bought it from Australia to sell on to their customers e.g QVC. I may be wrong??

I found this
Mookaite is the common, or popular, name for the rock with the geological name Windalia Radiolarite, being a fine grained, silicified and multi-coloured, radiolarian siltstone, found in outcrops, principally on Mooka Station (a sheep farm of around 700,000 acres)on the west side of Kennedy Range in Western Australia. The Kennedy Range itself is located approximately 90 miles east of Carnarvon and 25 miles to the north west of Gascoyne Junction, a small town of around 60 people, and located at the first (heading west from Carnarvon) sealed crossing of the mighty (usually dry) Gascoyne River.

The semi-precious stones are sometimes advertised as "Mookite", "Mookalite" or "Mookarite"
So why don't QVC write in their descriptions country of origin Australia even if there supplier is in China?

Last edited:
From what I found mookaite stones/beads are sold from Australia on to Distributor/wholesalers in China who then sell it on to those who make jewelry or make the jewelry themselves. These companies show the place of origin as Australia.
It seems the stones have a bit of a journey before they get to Qvc.

Mookaite (Mookite) does only come from Australia. The only thing I can think of is QVC have bought it from a supplier in China who bought it from Australia to sell on to their customers e.g QVC. I may be wrong??

I found this on www.beadaddict.co.uk, about Mookite being found in China :

'Mookite Beads - a type of jasper, a very colourful stone with cream, yellow, butterscotch, pink, red, burgundy and chocolate (amongst others) - fabolous range of shades in between which gives this stone a great deal of versatility - from Western Australia about 600 miles north of Perth; this stone is also found in China.'

It also does seem strange that QVC themselves say on their website that some Mookite items are sourced from China, as that implies { to me anyway } that the Mookite has come from China.

But apologies if I have got it wrong about this. I only found out when I was interested in ordering something and was a bit put off that despite them making a big song and dance about it only being found in Australia, for the item I was looking at, it stated it was sourced from China.

Last edited:

I found this on www.beadaddict.co.uk, about Mookite being found in China :

'Mookite Beads - a type of jasper, a very colourful stone with cream, yellow, butterscotch, pink, red, burgundy and chocolate (amongst others) - fabolous range of shades in between which gives this stone a great deal of versatility - from Western Australia about 600 miles north of Perth; this stone is also found in China.'

It also does seem strange that QVC themselves say on their website that some Mookite items are sourced from China, as that implies { to me anyway } that the Mookite has come from China.

But apologies if I have got it wrong about this. I only found out when I was interested in ordering something and was a bit put off that despite them making a big song and dance about it only being found in Australia, for the item I was looking at, it stated it was sourced from China.

If it is just the case that the Mookite QVC has got from China was itself originally sourced from Australia, we can hardly be blamed for "getting it wrong" - we've been told one thing by QVC on air and it says completely another on certain parts of their very own website - it's confusing to say the least and I think a little bit of clarification is necessary :wonder:

Having had another look at the mookite on the QVC website, I see that the description of some of he items says ' all stones are sourced from China' and others say 'all stones sourced from Australia'. That seems clear cut to me that it is not just that the items are manufactured in China but that the stones are actuall coming from there.

I agree that they need to clarify and get the on air declarations to agree with what they are saying on the website. It appears to me that they know some of their mookite isn't from Australia so they are being misleading by letting the presenters say it does.

QVC need to address this when selling Mookite as it isn't as hard to find as they make out. I always thought because QVC and other sites who sell Mookite say it comes from one mine in Australia that it could only be found in Australia. Alot of the jewellery I have purchased from QVC lately has had China on the silver, even one of their very expensive Tanzanite pieces had QVC stamped on the inside of the band next to the hallmark. Does this put anybody else off or is it just me?

Latest posts

Back