More misleading?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So it's impossible to make irradiated smokey quartz lighter?

And natural smokey quartz... Can we heat it to make it less dark?

I wish I could make my Smokey Quartz lighter. Alas TMWNN informed us that that once it's darkened to deep brown, some verging on brown/black it's not possible. What a shame.

I've got a large smokey quartz pendant. I love it, it's just that being a large stone it's very dark. I'd have loved it lighter & transparent.

I wish I could make my Smokey Quartz lighter. Alas TMWNN informed us that that once it's darkened to deep brown, some verging on brown/black it's not possible. What a shame.

I'm not an expert by any means. It could be possible - but I've never seen it. The irradiation always seems to make it REALLY dark - and heat treatment always seems to make it cloudier rather than lighter.

I've seen some websites even questioning whether irradiated Quartz should be called 'Smokey Quartz' at all. Some websites refer to it as 'Fake Smokey Quartz'

Very nice collection. Can you see my green eyes? No, not the ones in the Malachite. Any of that Ammolite? And have to ask, what is that thing that looks like either a bone or fossilised wood?
You got it. It's fossilised wood. Dull on the site but the "agatised" ends are pretty.

Impressive collection. :love:(y)

Don't put minerals on the windowsill. Gemstones are very sensitive to the sunlight. They can change their colour, not for the better. 🫤
👍👍👍 I do move them in the Summer. Just can't resist a splash of colour in the darker months. 😊

Thanks. Nice to know it's yet more bluff and fluster spouted. I feel sorry for the viewers who will take what's said at face value.

To be fair, anyone flicking over to Gem Collector later in the evening will have seen Foxy waxing lyrical about Zambian amethysts and their formation, saying that higher heat conditions create citrines. So it is still possible to get accurate information.
Isn't Hattie the one who is said to be a certified diamond grader as well? I'm only amazed she keeps quiet long enough to learn anything. If the presenters do have real knowledge, then they are keeping mighty quiet about it, because they increasingly say things that are factually incorrect and/or just way over the top descriptions of the item in question.

I keep thinking of the old Homepride advert “graded grains make finer flour” in respect of Hattie.

Imagine Dave Troth working for Homepride.

"This, is flour. But not just any flour"

*30 second clock appears*

"There's only a one in two million chance of finding this rarest grade of flour"

*another 30 second clock appears*

"When I was a lad, my uncle, Ben, who lived with my aunt, Bessie, used to sit with me for hours, telling me all about the rarest, finest grains that money can buy"

"Before I became a flour expert, I used to work with my good friend, John West, but I never really settled into that job - I always thought there was something fishy about that industry - so I decided to follow my heart and get involved with flour"

"Through my good contacts in the industry, I've managed to source you this unique type of flour. It's available from Harrods for £2000 per kilo, but I can bring it to you today, for just 50p. Now I know what you're thinking - you can get a Tesco Value bag for 39p. But this is RARE and TOP QUALITY flour. The finest money can buy".

or just way over the top descriptions of the item in question.
It's not even as though they blind you with science. At least that way, you'd learn.

"When I was a lad, my uncle, Ben, who lived with my aunt, Bessie, used to sit with me for hours, telling me all about the rarest, finest grains that money can buy"
All taken with a very expensive, even if it's a very much cheaper than other places, grain of salt.

Thanks. Nice to know it's yet more bluff and fluster spouted. I feel sorry for the viewers who will take what's said at face value.
You know, because, for the most part, those here are old hands at Gemporia and it's group, they can see through the current sales pitch, even if it's with mild sadness as to how it has changed. They always say, 'do your research' on air. So maybe the customers should do that for not just the stones, but the seller too.

Latest posts

Back