Nanny McFee Needed please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Completely agree with you. £20 would be about right for it. It's very plastic-y, and I can see something getting snapped off it easily.

I'm like you with storage - I can never have enough. What would bother me about that thing though would be how do you keep it clean? Those things always look great new, but once it gets a bit dusty and grimy, it would be such a mission to get into all those nooks and crannies to get it clean I think I'd just want to chuck it.

Completely agree with you. £20 would be about right for it. It's very plastic-y, and I can see something getting snapped off it easily.

I'm like you with storage - I can never have enough. What would bother me about that thing though would be how do you keep it clean? Those things always look great new, but once it gets a bit dusty and grimy, it would be such a mission to get into all those nooks and crannies to get it clean I think I'd just want to chuck it.
I need some storage to put all my other storage into.

More storage items is NEVER the answer to your storage problems (telling myself this on a regular basis). If you "need" storage, you probably have too much stuff... I know I do!

I fancy this storage unit. Why do I have such a weakness for storage.

But nearly £50 me thinks common sense will rule. Perhaps £20 including postage yes, but £50 someone having a leg pull.

I can definitely "Nanny McFee" you on this one. If it's anything like the revolving make up/toiletries organiser I bought some years ago just don't buy it! The compartments were all the wrong shape and size for what I actually wanted to store in it, and instead of looking neat and organised it just looked like a hideous lump of plastic that took up valuable room on my dressing table. From the look of it, I'm sure you'll be as frustrated as I was when I found my cleanser bottle was too tall for the compartments, my perfume bottle was too wide, it wasn't deep enough for my make up brushes...the list goes on. Also would you really want to store jewellery and valuables along side your make up? - I wouldn't! Seriously Penny, you don't need it! The price is ridiculous btw! I know you like it but, please look again..it's an ugly lump of plastic - I wouldn't give it houseroom if it was free...sorry! Hope that helped!!!

Last edited:
More storage items is NEVER the answer to your storage problems (telling myself this on a regular basis). If you "need" storage, you probably have too much stuff... I know I do!

After a weekend of going through my storage room I agree with you. Not buying more storage is the right answer for me but I still like it.

I use the Tili boxes for storage And I even use the brown boxes Tili boxes come in for storage. I've moved some stationery stuff to M&S beauty boxes. Looks lovely black boxes, white lids and a neon pink label. I think they look great.

After a weekend of going through my storage room I agree with you. Not buying more storage is the right answer for me but I still like it.

I use the Tili boxes for storage And I even use the brown boxes Tili boxes come in for storage. I've moved some stationery stuff to M&S beauty boxes. Looks lovely black boxes, white lids and a neon pink label. I think they look great.
You have a room just for storage? Being really personal how much stuff do you have?

Good grief. Is each one designated for certain items? Do you keep inventories? Do you have rooms that are non-storage spaces?
Yes, the room I live in, the kitchen, and my bedroom (apart from the gym machines in that room, which I actually use).

And I do have inventories of the contents of storage boxes.

If it was just clothes, I'd have no problems ditching them, but it is mainly expensive but superseded electrical and hi-fi equipment. But no "rubbish" like you see in hoarder programmes such as old newspapers.

Oh, and musical instruments.

Last edited:
Yes, the room I live in, the kitchen, and my bedroom (apart from the gym machines in that room, which I actually use).

And I do have inventories of the contents of storage boxes.

If it was just clothes, I'd have no problems ditching them, but it is mainly expensive but superseded electrical and hi-fi equipment. But no "rubbish" like you see in hoarder programmes such as old newspapers.

Oh, and musical instruments.
I'm impressed, we all have passions & two of mine are books & the garden; strangely rooms filled with books are seen as libraries & gardens filled with plants are just seen as gardens.

I got a toiletry carousel, which never really gets turned as the bottles topple over and off the carousel. It gathers dust. I am glad it doesn't have loads of fiddly cubby holes which would be extremely difficult to keep clean.
Hard plastic is also brittle and therefore difficult to mend. If the hinged doors get a lot of use, I predict there will be a fracture in the plastic anchoring the hinge very quickly.
If you like nice storage, best to use what you already have at home first...if it needs more prettying up, choose a gift wrap you like and decorate it with that. Don't give Q your money for something unlikely to be recyclable or repairable.

In my experience with "storage solutions" - The only ones that have been worth their weight in gold are my underbed storage boxes for towels and bedlinen, wine racks, as oh subscribes to a wine club (they look attractive when they're full, I've got a few sturdy shoe racks, one in the hallway and one in each bedroom. Everything else has been a bit "hit and miss". I'm lucky enough to have 3 deep built in shelves in the bathroom so they hold a lot of toiletries. My perfume collection is on my dressing table, and make up in make up bags in the drawers. It should be an organised delight, but sadly it isn't, as like most people we buy too much, and forget to weed out empty or nearly empty containers before buying new. I had a blitz yesterday and made the usual old promise to keep it that way!
I totally understand that some people have a lack of storage in their homes, and these little solutions are necessary, but if like me you have plenty of drawer and cupboard space and shelving but are still cluttered, then you've got too much stuff. In my experience storage boxes just add to the clutter.
Penny, if you're still considering buying this, look elsewhere, 'cause I'm pretty certain you'll find something very similar for a fraction of the Q price. Better still invest in a really nice jewellery box, and maybe sift through your make up and toiletries and see if you can thin it out a bit. I'm not suggesting that you get rid of stuff for the sake of it, but you may find that you've got stuff that you rarely use, don't like that much etc etc. Again hope this helps!

I rarely wear makeup so I don`t have stashes of it and in the bathroom and bedroom I just leave out whichever items are being used at that time. I have a 3 drawer trolley on wheels which was originally bought to keep mine and Mr V`s grandkids colouring stuff and toys in it for whenever they came to visit. They`re older now and well past toys so I`ve put the trolley in the spare bedroom and I keep my stock of toiletries in it until a new item is needed in the bathroom or bedroom.
All soaps, toothpastes, shampoos, bodywashes, deodorants, creams, lotions and potions plus anything else is kept tidily in it and I can see at a glance where something is or if I need to replace anything. The trolley was cheap, the drawers are plastic but have stood the test of time, it isn`t what you`d call attractive but its in the spare bedroom anyway and the top of it has become the hiding place for my ironing basket in which the pile of stuff needing ironing never seems to dwindle.

Like Vienna the make up I actually use would fit into a small purse but needless to say I do have extra bits which never seem to get chucked but still not much. I use that roll up thingy they sold on Q. It is like a tool roll but there are plastic zipped pouches which Velcro on to the roll and then the whole thing rolls up so the final thing is the size of a small bag.

My best storage thing is metal trolly from ikea I have one in the garden full of pots of succulents and one in the utility room holding bottles of wine, water and coke and bits and pieces. I like them because the room is tiny but you can push it out of the way to get at other things. I think they were £25 which is the best £25 I’ve spent and they come in a range of colours.

My storage rooms aren't supposed to be storage rooms of course. They are meant to be a dining room, study, utility room, 2nd bathroom, and spare bedrooms, plus the double garage (as I don't have a car), also a cellar (mainly used for gardening equipment such as lawnmowers).

And as I am not really interested in buying clothes, the built-in wardrobes in all the bedrooms are also gadget stores.

I would like to sell all the electronic and music stuff, and many are collectors items and valuable, such as early synthesisers. But I don't know how, as I don't trust the auction sites, and shipping would be very expensive (and many of the collectors of these items are abroad).

I did sell my drum kit locally about 10 years ago, and have since regretted it as I would like to take it up again. And I only got a fraction of the price it would take to replace it.

Last edited:
I need some storage to put all my other storage into.
I need some storage to put Mr B in to.

I can definitely "Nanny McFee" you on this one. If it's anything like the revolving make up/toiletries organiser I bought some years ago just don't buy it! The compartments were all the wrong shape and size for what I actually wanted to store in it, and instead of looking neat and organised it just looked like a hideous lump of plastic that took up valuable room on my dressing table. From the look of it, I'm sure you'll be as frustrated as I was when I found my cleanser bottle was too tall for the compartments, my perfume bottle was too wide, it wasn't deep enough for my make up brushes...the list goes on. Also would you really want to store jewellery and valuables along side your make up? - I wouldn't! Seriously Penny, you don't need it! The price is ridiculous btw! I know you like it but, please look again..it's an ugly lump of plastic - I wouldn't give it houseroom if it was free...sorry! Hope that helped!!!
It looks like a water filter.....plus......

The reality is it will also gather dead flies, dust, bogeys, hair.
They are selling you an image/dream, not really a product ( I know, marketing grad)
Anyone who has the tim eto keep thjis tidy needs to get laid more often.....or something.

It looks like a water filter.....plus......

The reality is it will also gather dead flies, dust, bogeys, hair.
They are selling you an image/dream, not really a product ( I know, marketing grad)
Anyone who has the tim eto keep thjis tidy needs to get laid more often.....or something.
I have an idea!!!! Buy it. If it doesn't suit (& it won't) Put ingift drawer for....you've guessed.......Dave the Binman! His little face will light up, & he was planning to give up whiskey anyway!

Like Vienna the make up I actually use would fit into a small purse but needless to say I do have extra bits which never seem to get chucked but still not much. I use that roll up thingy they sold on Q. It is like a tool roll but there are plastic zipped pouches which Velcro on to the roll and then the whole thing rolls up so the final thing is the size of a small bag.

My best storage thing is metal trolly from ikea I have one in the garden full of pots of succulents and one in the utility room holding bottles of wine, water and coke and bits and pieces. I like them because the room is tiny but you can push it out of the way to get at other things. I think they were £25 which is the best £25 I’ve spent and they come in a range of colours.
Will this work with a Waitrose shopping trolley?

Latest posts

Back