Oh dear Ophelia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had it on in the background. She certainly knows how to sell things - not.

Apparently the Cozee Home towels are ideal if your current ones are knackered. She’s used that word before when presenting. I doubt it’s a word that QVC have in their “phrases to use” dictionary when selling products. 😂

I was hoping for some improvement in her. I would actually love her to show she can do the job after all. But time after time she demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on what is required of a shopping television presenter in facilitating a relaxed and entertaining viewing environment to keep people watching and hopefully buying. For me, she is desperately inarticulate, and creates an uncomfortable environment on air because of it. But of course...they will persist and persist and persist with her.

Like I said before, there was a very slight improvement, which I'd imagine was the immediate result of some extra training/mentoring. I was hoping that she'd start running with the ball, but sadly this doesn't seem to have been the case. She has a adopted this very slow staccato way of speaking, and when she does make a mistake, it's even more obvious. During this presentation, she managed to suggest that the p&p was per order when she was trying to explain that if you buy an identical item you'll get it half price, yes, she corrected herself but she shouldn't really be making blunders like this . I wish she'd say Pence instead of P, and now she's started this annoying hair flick! I keep seeing her being slagged off on their facebook page. The other presenters would've said ...and let's face it who hasn't got towels that have seen better days? But no, she said sometimes yer towels are just knackered! I did laugh, but how unprofessional . Q really need to let her go - Good luck with that lol!

I hate to say this (but I will), if QVC want to keep their diversity quotient as is, then it cant be beyond the wit of their HR team to find a person of colour who has experience in selling and is used to being in front of a live camera !!!!

Are there any? That's the crux of it.
That's exactly what I was going to say!
I hate to say this (but I will), if QVC want to keep their diversity quotient as is, then it cant be beyond the wit of their HR team to find a person of colour who has experience in selling and is used to being in front of a live camera !!!!
Gotta agree with that Brissles. Her crap presenting skills have NOTHING to do with the colour of her skin and EVERYTHING to do with the reason she's been allowed to stay in a job that she's not up to. Beautiful girl who would be a great model, not only for the clothes, but hair products, and make up and I reckon she could be an asset, instead of being left to flounder - a complete waste imo. Not everybody's suited to presenting. Yes there's some other presenters who are as boring as hell, eg Anne, she's got the charisma of a "knackered" old towel, but she gets the facts right, and that imo is a basic requirement!

Now, the black woman who does the fashion stuff (ex-IW). Jackie, is it? Class act as an expert and host. If they are on some relentless box ticking exercise - then pick her, and not the incapable.

Are we talking Jackie Joseph ? who must have a terrific agent, as she does Homes Under the Hammer, Money for Nothing, and various other progs where she appears to be a jack of all trades. She's getting as many numerous gigs as Oti Mabuse and Alesha Dixon !

Are we talking Jackie Joseph ? who must have a terrific agent, as she does Homes Under the Hammer, Money for Nothing, and various other progs where she appears to be a jack of all trades. She's getting as many numerous gigs as Oti Mabuse and Alesha Dixon !
Jackie is a good fun presenter. Ophelia bless her is not improving. She may get better in time ....MAY!!!!

If I was asked to name a woman of colour who presents on shopping tv, then Jackie Joseph is the only one I can bring to mind. The colour of her skin doesn't make her a good or a bad presenter. As it happens she's a competent presenter, and seeing her on other mainstream shows demonstrates that she's a good all rounder with transferable skills under her belt. Is diversity really necessary for a shopping channel? Absolutely, I'd say. Seeing an endless stream of pale skinned ladies modelling clothes, having make up applied and having their hair dried and styled isn't gonna be much help to a person of colour. Presenting though, is a different ballgame altogether and of course they need to be mixture of age groups, shape and size, and yes, colour. I'm not a woman of colour and to be honest before diversity became a thing iykwim I wouldn't even have noticed a lack of it, but I would now and I appreciate that it is only right that everybody regardless of their colour and creed should have this sort of opportunity. Diversity in presenting however, requires more than simple lip service, if not it's detrimental to everybody.

I believe in jobs being given on ability. I don't believe you should be given a job wholly or in part based upon the colour of your skin - white, black, yellow, brown. Getting jobs on television these days appears very much based NOT on ability alone, if at all. Gender, race, sexual orientation etc. all seem to now be viewed as key skills. A very sad indictment on the frightened to say anything society we are now forced to live in or else.

I believe in jobs being given on ability. I don't believe you should be given a job wholly or in part based upon the colour of your skin - white, black, yellow, brown. Getting jobs on television these days appears very much based NOT on ability alone, if at all. Gender, race, sexual orientation etc. all seem to now be viewed as key skills. A very sad indictment on the frightened to say anything society we are now forced to live in or else.
Its called "Positive Discrimination" I used to work in a "woke" local authority many moons ago. You may get the job but if you were not up to it then you would and yourself out of a job. Nobody was going to carry you.

Every sane minded person will agree with you, but since the George Floyd event, society and advertising has gone into overdrive with diversity promotion. However, going down that road it shouldn't be done half heartedly where black and brown are pushed to the forefront, how many Chinese or Japanese presenters on tv in general do we see ? none that I can think of, so why not ? a happy balance should be struck.

We also have a situation nowadays where a significant number of commercials feature numerous mixed race families and social gatherings, and many black actor voiceovers being the trend. I have no objection whatsoever to black actors being more prominent in adverts. That is how it should be. My problem is I don’t like social engineering being employed in the cause of selling things. Now, we all know, in reality, there are not as many mixed race families living happy middle class comfortable lives as today’s television adverts like to portray - i.e. virtually every family you see. I don’t like ad agencies, at the behest of right on TV channels, altering the structure of life how it is for us all (good or bad) to their own vision of how life should be for us all. We have now gone from every advert featuring only white families to sell goods to near the complete opposite. Now…neither situation is either right or ideal. But simply by replacing one sanitised view of life with another is not the solution for me to create a balanced and fair world. QVC is as guilty as any other television broadcaster in following this uncomfortable trend with its own advertising.

Latest posts

Back