Presents from your kids

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
343627034_765224301647983_2214102692176264778_n.jpg
This has just come up on my facebook feed and it sparked off a few memories for me. I remember being around 7 or 8 years old and I said to my mum that I wanted to spend my pocket money to buy my dad a birthday present. She gave me the money and allowed my to go down the the local parade of shops and see what I could get him. I went into the chemist, which sold everything, chose a bookmark and a bar of soap. I dashed back home excitedly and when I showed mum what I'd bought, she literally fell about laughing - It was lifebuoy soap. When she explained what the initials B.O stood for I was mortified, and when she'd managed to stop laughing and I'd stopped crying, she said don't worry we'll return it and I'll help you choose something nice. Of course my mum explained why we were returning the soap and the shopkeeper started to laugh and say "Oh bless her" making me cringe and feel tearful and embarrassed again, why she didn't just say "My daughter bought the wrong soap can we exchange it" I don't know but we settled on a handkerchief in the end!
This does not beat the story my ex told me. He told me that his he and his sister (aged 7 and 9) pooled their pocket money and went up to their local shops to buy her a birthday present. They chose a plastic laundry basket, it was big, so they thought they'd done really well for their money and that it would be useful and she'd love it. WRONG!!!! When they excitedly gave it to her, she told them in no uncertain terms that she didn't want it and made them take it back to the shop - how mean is that?!
My other memory is when my mum reminded me that it was my nan's birthday tomorrow and asked whether I'd bought her anything, being 22, totally wrapped up in myself and permanently skint of course I hadn't. My mum said she'd lend me some dosh, so I went to some nearby shops with literally no idea what to get her. I decided that a bunch of flowers would be a lovely idea, there was no florist in the parade but a greengrocer who sold flowers as well. They had a couple of very tired looking bunches left that didn't look like they'd last the night, then I spotted a display of dried flowers, I thought they were lovely so I bought a large bunch, they wrapped them and I took them home. I must admit a few heads fell off in transit but they still looked lovely imo. I showed them to my mum who said they were absolutely dreadful and that it would be a ****** insult to present her with those. She insisted that I took them back for a refund. I felt mortified, and started my trudge back to the shop wondering what I'd say and would I get my money back ok. Luckily for me the brisk walk caused quite a few more heads to fall off so by the time I got there I was able to say that they're knackered. I got the refund and bought her a box of chocolates! It turned out my mum was right, but to suggest I would be insulting nan really upset me!
My son bought me a hideous cat ornament when he was really young and I ****** treasure it, I'm not lying when I say I'm glad it's small and unobtrusive, but it's the thought that counts. That facebook meme is so right!
Any similar stories out there?

I love practical presents, and can never undertand why women don't.

Surely you'd all like (for example) a Gtech rechargeab;e hand vac which would be so useful for years to come. Just saying!

Surely you'd all like (for example) a Gtech rechargeab;e hand vac which would be so useful for years to come. Just saying!
I’ve already got one, but I bought it myself. 😉

I personally don't mind receiving practical presents but I can see why women in particular get upset when they're presented with a household present eg a steam iron as it sends the message " do some housework" even though it's been probably been bought with a nice thought behind it ie, making the housework less of a chore, it's not very romantic and to me it's a giving a gift to the household not the person .
Gifts from your kids though, even if it's naff, tell them you love it and treasure it, even if it is a laundry basket or a bar of carbolic!

I’d be happy with something like a KitchenAid mixer or hairdryer because only I would use it, but a vacuum cleaner is for the house and I do not want to receive that as a birthday present, thank you!

Mr V ended up in the dog house on one of our anniversaries. He bought me a frying pan but insisted he thought it was a great present because the handle was loose on my old frying pan and he was concerned the handle might drop off whilst I was using it and I`d be badly burned by hot oil or hot food.

Latest posts

Back