Priced to profiteer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calamity Gem

Registered Shopper
On Wednesday Dave Troth introduced a yellow sapphire showcase with an account of the high price of these gems at an auction house in Geneva he had recently visited, as they are no longer being mined. He went on to auction a mixture of old stock from the Gemporia vault. The highest price was for a 9k gold ring featuring a “heavily included” 7x5 mm 1.3 carat solitaire from Thailand with zircons, which closed at £499. A couple of different designs with similar gems commanded the same price, or slightly less. Today just 3 days later on the 7 am breakfast wheel, the same ring which cost £499 on Wednesday was auctioned for £149, relating presumably to its original auction price when it was new stock. Two other similar rings also auctioned on Wednesday at £300+ higher went for £127 and £99.99 respectively today, showing it was no one-off mistake (the current web price for the £499/£149 ring is £259. I nearly choked on my cornflakes! How can Gemporia possibly continue to claim “if we get a good deal, we pass the savings on to you”?

I quite simply do not believe a word he says. I think it was yesterday he was waffling on for the best part of an hour about Tahitian pearls (again). Not that I listened to his drivel but I really expected to see new designs otherwise why else was he on. No, when I checked later to see what I'd missed, they were designs that we'd already seen more than once. I completely fail to see what his purpose is and I would love to know how many people turn off when he comes on - and how much Gemporia are losing in revenue because he's on. Judging by the amount of comments from people on here, it must be everyone.

I quite simply do not believe a word he says. I think it was yesterday he was waffling on for the best part of an hour about Tahitian pearls (again). Not that I listened to his drivel but I really expected to see new designs otherwise why else was he on. No, when I checked later to see what I'd missed, they were designs that we'd already seen more than once. I completely fail to see what his purpose is and I would love to know how many people turn off when he comes on - and how much Gemporia are losing in revenue because he's on. Judging by the amount of comments from people on here, it must be everyone.
You can tell when Troff is lying: his mouth moves.

I really don't trust him either. He should be banned from appearing on screen as constituting "cruel and unusual punishment".

It's endemic.

Pendant bought by me last year (1). Kate selling on "Barnaby's Fantastic Unbelievable Earth-Shattering Rule-Breaking Wheel of Fortune" this morning (2).

Hattie just now: "...for just three easy payments..." of £200 a pop (3). Search for 'Copper Chalcedony', me just now, £40 (same location). (4)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-18-11-22-13-099.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-18-11-22-13-099.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-05-18-11-16-48-782~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-18-11-16-48-782~2.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-05-18-16-50-09-595.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-18-16-50-09-595.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-05-18-16-59-50-697.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-18-16-59-50-697.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 0
would love to know how many people turn off when he comes on - and how much Gemporia are losing in revenue because he's on. Judging by the amount of comments from people on here, it must be everyone.

I very rarely watch Gems, the sales pitches to me are ridiculous & painful to watch.

Women running out of breath in their sales pitch build up, followed by gulping & coughing, shouting out utter twaddle mostly. Then rinse & repeat. To me it's such a bizarre sight. People getting themselves into a frenzy whilst presenting often by themselves.

Same goes for Troth & his mind numbingly dull, patronising lectures.

I'd think many do turn over, but sadly there's seemingly plenty who don't & buy into this imo cash grabbing, stinking pile of codswallop. Because it must be profitable for them, or else they wouldn't spend broadcasting & selling time doing it.

I would love to know how many people turn off when he comes on - and how much Gemporia are losing in revenue because he's on. Judging by the amount of comments from people on here, it must be everyone.
To be honest, (I've said this bit somewhere before), I used to like him when he was 'new' and dare I say, was a bit of a sucker for buying 'off' him. BUT, the longer he's been on air (not by the hour, but in general), I have seriously gone off him, to the point I turn off when he's on. That was before I came here and read how much he was loved. Now, I tend to put his shows on to see how long I can put up with him: mostly on mute. Not all shows. Seen one, seen 'em all. Here's the reason I quoted you.

There is enough dislike and or distrust for that man shown on here, and consequently when he's on-air, that when the Gemporia 'members' of this forum, be they as guests or actually registered, see this attitude, surely they must pass it on. And even if, in their eyes, it's unjustified, they could test the waters by having him on less: instead of every day, maybe once a fortnight or month or less, like they do with proper guests and experts and see if it boosts sales. Maybe a bit dramatic, but something needs to prove how he's affecting the business.

Would these be the yellow sapphires that were selling out all over the place? I no longer believe that items they say sell out really do. For one thing, when they say "everything so far has sold out" and you go to the recent auctions and see there's plenty of sizes left and you can add them to your basket, what happened there, since unless the item has sold the quality doesn't reduce?

Would these be the yellow sapphires that were selling out all over the place? I no longer believe that items they say sell out really do. For one thing, when they say "everything so far has sold out" and you go to the recent auctions and see there's plenty of sizes left and you can add them to your basket, what happened there, since unless the item has sold the quality doesn't reduce?
It's funny that the amount of times 'one' item sells out on the first showing. How's this for a bit of paranoia, when they show the screen and it mentions in the purchases list collector, maybe all those 'collectors' are staff making it look good, either by 'selling' stuff out, even though they don't, or raving over x y or z product.

I've had my name read out on air just for putting an item in my web basket (not completing the purchase).

Ever tuned in when there are only 3 pieces left in the auction and the presenter names 6 buyers? It doesn't add up. ie there aren't 6 buyers.

I've had my name read out on air just for putting an item in my web basket (not completing the purchase).
Me too. I occasionally put it in my basket to see its 'original' price to gauge how much lower it's liable to go as to whether I will buy it. If it's say £1000, I wouldn't, but if it's £100 I might. So, I've done that: removed it from the basket and had my name called out. Yes, I know there is more than one Anthony that buys off the channel, but it's when it's a piece I have specifically looked at. If I haven't, I know it's not me :p

I've noticed recently that they now refer to 'percentages' that have sold rather than actual figures.

They used to tell you how many they started with - and they'd say "62 have sold so far".

Recently, they've started saying "60% of the stock has gone" - without saying how many they started with.

Well 60% of what? 60% of 10 - which means you have 4 left? 60% of 1000 - which means you have 400 left?

IMO, it's another tactic to 'panic' people into buying.

I've noticed recently that they now refer to 'percentages' that have sold rather than actual figures.

They used to tell you how many they started with - and they'd say "62 have sold so far".

Recently, they've started saying "60% of the stock has gone" - without saying how many they started with.

Well 60% of what? 60% of 10 - which means you have 4 left? 60% of 1000 - which means you have 400 left?

IMO, it's another tactic to 'panic' people into buying.
Well, if they're buying in duff stock by the metric tonne, they're going to need to do something to shift it at their huge markups.

So much for educating their viewers so they can buy with confidence.

Personally speaking, if someone is rushing me to buy something, and not giving me the opportunity to think it over rationally first, then that's a massive red flag.

Well, if they're buying in duff stock by the metric tonne, they're going to need to do something to shift it at their huge markups.

So much for educating their viewers so they can buy with confidence.

Personally speaking, if someone is rushing me to buy something, and not giving me the opportunity to think it over rationally first, then that's a massive red flag.
Absolutely!..............

That's the logic I also apply to their pricing. If they have to spend ages showing lots of dubious price comparisons in order to convince people they're getting a good price, then it usually means that they're not offering a good price........

You can tell when Troff is lying: his mouth moves.

I really don't trust him either. He should be banned from appearing on screen as constituting "cruel and unusual punishment".
He even looks shifty, his eyes are darting all over the place. 😏

It's all lies!

Latest posts

Back