Random musings on TJC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Midnight end Tue. Just been watching last few minutes of a Gamages watch slot (end of 2 hours) with PeterS and a female co-host (still all £99, not gone up yet and not sold out?!) , before they moved onto a £15 hand grabber thing for the dextrous mobility impaired, before then moving onto GX pillows.

He looked pathetic, talking gibberish with his co-host, and seemed to be a waste of space and adding little to no value.

My first thought was, what do they need him for? The other one was doing the talking, and the selling and he was going on long-winded anecdotes and not saying or adding much beyond his usual oohs and ahhs and "just get this".

He's actually starting to look old.
He's just mentioned he's got a dog, whilst selling a large throw blanket. Just needs the pipe and slippers.

Maybe the mortgage and high interest rates on his pile still needs paying off...

Hint to TJC: get rid. You're risking alienating previously loyal TJC fans.

P.S. the girl (sorry no name?) can't stop talking and is overshadowing him and he can't get a word in and is reduced to saying yes, uh huh, and agreeing with her. His go-to phrase is "go get this". Sad. Very sad.
Her name is Jenny Cleary, apparently..he went onto his story of GX pillow inventor earlier. Hackneyed.

They've now moved onto gold necklaces. She knows her jewellery and how it's made. PS doesn't.

PS looks like a spare wheel. And out of his depth. When he got a word in, he went into his overblown, "this is artistry of a truly magical quality" b/s, with no information about the chain in terms of make, style, links, construction (she knows all that) and then repeated the bit of what she said about the makers.
He hasn't a clue and is totally winging it.

I cannot fathom why he is on this show as effectively a 2nd presenter. Nor why TJC have hired him at all. Would love to know if he impacts sales figures.
He certainly isn't 'fun' or entertaining PS and doesn't look very happy. Just there at now 1am...

The gold chain, only 32 made (which he didn't know until she told him), and that TJC have 7. Starting price on screen was £11k. She said a jeweller charging that would be fair. Went down to £4k. Final price £3k. Until they pretended Anshu was awake and had authorised lowered price to: £2500. What bull. "Only £600 -now £500" on 5 budget pays they said. PS then recommends getting a valuation when it arrives after first budget payment... Yes, right!

Last edited:
Her name is Jenny Cleary, apparently..he went onto his story of GX pillow inventor earlier. Hackneyed.

They've now moved onto gold necklaces. She knows her jewellery and how it's made. PS doesn't.

PS looks like a spare wheel. And out of his depth. When he got a word in, he went into his overblown, "this is artistry of a truly magical quality" b/s, with no information about the chain in terms of make, style, links, construction (she knows all that) and then repeated the bit of what she said about the makers.
He hasn't a clue and is totally winging it.

I cannot fathom why he is on this show as effectively a 2nd presenter. Nor why TJC have hired him at all. Would love to know if he impacts sales figures.
He certainly isn't 'fun' or entertaining PS and doesn't look very happy. Just there at now 1am...

The gold chain, only 32 made (which he didn't know until she told him), and that TJC have 7. Starting price on screen was £11k. She said a jeweller charging that would be fair. Went down to £4k. Final price £3k. Until they pretended Anshu was awake and had authorised lowered price to: £2500. What bull. "Only £600 -now £500" on 5 budget pays they said. PS then recommends getting a valuation when it arrives after first budget payment... Yes, right!
It reminds me of when bid.tv folded, and Dirty Pete had a very short stint at Gemporia. I only saw him the once on there, and it was a total car crash.

The guy is undisciplined, and as you said does absolutely zero preparation before his shows. I was new to the jewellery channels at that time, but even I could tell that he hadn't a clue. If it wasn't for the on-screen graphics, I wouldn't have had any idea about what he was meant to be talking about.

I can't see TJC ever letting him fly solo, as he's a liability. Not sure if he's ever going to bring customers over from Ideal World, but despite showing that the likes of Jenny know their stuff, he just makes the channel look cheap and tacky.

Saying that, I would LOVE to watch him paired with Chloe. Or doing a Lucy Q show. Just to see how long it would take before he got throttled 😁

It reminds me of when bid.tv folded, and Dirty Pete had a very short stint at Gemporia. I only saw him the once on there, and it was a total car crash.

The guy is undisciplined, and as you said does absolutely zero preparation before his shows. I was new to the jewellery channels at that time, but even I could tell that he hadn't a clue. If it wasn't for the on-screen graphics, I wouldn't have had any idea about what he was meant to be talking about.

I can't see TJC ever letting him fly solo, as he's a liability. Not sure if he's ever going to bring customers over from Ideal World, but despite showing that the likes of Jenny know their stuff, he just makes the channel look cheap and tacky.

Saying that, I would LOVE to watch him paired with Chloe. Or doing a Lucy Q show. Just to see how long it would take before he got throttled 😁
Just wonder if he (or a manager/agent?) actively contacted TJC asking to be hired, or whether TJC sought him and the other ex-IW ones out. Unlike SJ, he doesn't look a natural fit in the cramped desk studio space, more used to a larger studio that he can fill with his theatrical exaggerated absurdity.

This wasn't entertaining or fun. Just sad.

When do TV shopping presenters know when to retire... when the business retires you, perhaps.

Just wonder if he (or a manager/agent?) actively contacted TJC asking to be hired, or whether TJC sought him and the other ex-IW ones out. Unlike SJ, he doesn't look a natural fit in the cramped desk studio space, more used to a larger studio that he can fill with his theatrical exaggerated absurdity.

This wasn't entertaining or fun. Just sad.

When do TV shopping presenters know when to retire... when the business retires you, perhaps.
I suppose that some start feeling like they're exhausted, and want to spend more time with family and on other activities while they're still able.

But there are still many who want to keep going on no matter what. I think it might be really difficult for those presenters who were big names, or big name adjacent, years or decades ago, have fallen out of the public's gaze, and are probably still hoping that they can make it big again.

Accepting that it's never going to happen must be very difficult. And giving up being a big(ish) fish in a much smaller pond can't be easy.

Oh boy wouldn't that be great viewing!

It’s hard to believe but Peter is only 60 and far from retirement, but in TV terms he is a Relic
So he has years left??! What a nightmare!! Hope he moves on real quick he is definitely not an asset to TJC far from it. Saw SJ this morning all for a extremely short while, how Carmel or anyone puts up with her is beyond me. After saying that she's not as brash as she used to be she would do better to tone down even more maybe then she would be watchable but the other not in a million years!

Aberdeen?
looks really lovely. Bracing, but lovely.

sorry - just seen you confirmed this.
but it looks really nice. I like my walks to blow the cobwebs away.

Was actually quite warm, about 15/16 C, folks were swimming and there is a surfing club that gives lessons/hire boards etc.

IMG_20230917_101425.jpg

and you get to watch the local dolphins playing, sometimes come up really close to the beach.

When the wind picks up and is blowing into your face, especially off the North Sea in autumn and winter, walking along the beach will certainly clear the cobwebs and a lot more. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Was actually quite warm, about 15/16 C, folks were swimming and there is a surfing club that gives lessons/hire boards etc.

View attachment 26547

and you get to watch the local dolphins playing, sometimes come up really close to the beach.

When the wind picks up and is blowing into your face, especially off the North Sea in autumn and winter, walking along the beach will certainly clear the cobwebs and a lot more. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Sounds like a great place lucky you.

I watched that C4 programme about Russell Brand yesterday. The worse he behaved the more jobs he got, including Radio 2. He was literally being rewarded for bad behaviour, I doubt he'd have got those jobs if he had a better reputation.

Make me think about Peter Simon, no matter how many lies he tells, or the complaints made about him to the ASA (myself included), he can still find someone to employ him when the channels close down.

I watched that C4 programme about Russell Brand yesterday. The worse he behaved the more jobs he got, including Radio 2. He was literally being rewarded for bad behaviour, I doubt he'd have got those jobs if he had a better reputation.

Make me think about Peter Simon, no matter how many lies he tells, or the complaints made about him to the ASA (myself included), he can still find someone to employ him when the channels close down.
Mind boggling really.

I bought something from TJC. A desktop water fountain thing. It's cute. Probably won't last for years but not bad for £8.99 all-in (first order so free p+p) - i spent more than that on two coffees at the weekend. It does appear to be an item that has been previously opened and used (possibly returned?) then repackaged and sent out - is that normal for TJC?
Not usually, everything I've bought was new and not returns. Depends on what you buy, I guess. A couple of things looked like the item box it came in had been re-sellotaped shut after damaged in warehouse, or possibly had been opened, but the item looked new and in wrapping or sealed accessories, etc.

I really like the cardboard boxes and packing tape and recycled paper filler they use to package and send items and stop them rattling around inside the box. Strong, sturdy and the tjc printed tape has threads in it, making it stronger and more robust. Quality.
Always feels like Xmas opening a sturdy TJC box/parcel, like Sound of music, "brown paper packages tied up with string...". Ok, cardboard and packing tape! 😀

And for smaller items they use plastic polkadot colourful TJC plastic wrap.

My only criticism is they don't seem to have smaller boxes so sometimes order an item and it comes in a box twice the size needed, filled with loads of filler paper to stop it rattling around and being damaged. But they take the care to do it, so never had a damaged item in a box.
They just need the Amzn AI for box selection and packing, lol!

10 grand for a metal looking beauty mask with a plastic base unit? I am assuming this isn’t the finishing price? Some bloke who looks like the bass player from Dead or Alive who thinks he is David Letterman in a Photo-Me booth, singing its praises to old Lyndsay. Said it’s £10k in H.A. Rrods. I can’t find it there. Oh, it’s dropped £8k or so. Do they think we’re stupid? Lyndsay now wearing the mask and looks like an extra from Eyes Wide Shut…Luckily, I didn’t sail down Niagara Falls in a Sinclair C5 so I‘ll pass on this one. The Mighty Wah says if you box clever (or some other cliche) you should make your money back in two weeks. Right…I’ll get some neighbours to use it for large fees...He also said the same thing before they knocked the £8k off - probably forgot they’d done that yet at the time. Stroll on..

Last edited by a moderator:
These gadgets are overpriced at a tenner! I just can’t believe that they are not just lights - fairy lights for all I know. And if this stuff really worked they would allow you to USE it and return it if you weren’t happy. And as for the lifetime guarantee, that’s why you are paying so much. You’re just paying for your ‘replacement’ in advance.

Latest posts

Back