Secret Santa!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I organised a secret santa at work this year as I usually do, and it was very popular in our section, we had 17 people in it. I was lucky enough to draw out the name of somebody I know very well and bought them a present I knew they'd love, and they did. We've always said spend about £10 on a present, normally this works very well. This year quite a few people blatantly spent far far less, one even accidentally left the receipt attached on a small packet of chocolates which was obviously bought hurriedly in our store for the princely sum of £4.31 after staff discount, somebody else received a bar of whisky flavoured fudge that probably cost even less than that, another bath bombs which I swear were from Poundland!

I was one of the lucky ones receiving a beautiful Emma Bridgewater scented candle. The candle was in a gorgeous decorated glass and came in a presentation box and it actually makes the whole room smell gorgeous when lit - something I've been looking for in a scented candle for years, so very happy! There was some other very happy "customers" receiving things they really loved, or at least something that the person had actually put a bit of thought into!

The worst though was this. A lovely lady in our section, she's middle aged and whilst she's no prude, was horrified to receive a calendar called "A sexual position for every day of the year" She said she was absolutely disgusted, by all accounts it depicted cartoons including people in threesomes, using "objects" and performing various sexual acts, and rather unpleasant descriptive prose. Not only was she utterly offended, she was completely baffled as to why somebody would want to send that to her!

Next year think I might have to put in a few ground rules. Rule no. 1 - Please try and spend around the £10 mark, if you get something half price and pay a fiver for it that's great as long as it's something that looks as though it's worth that amount.

Rule no.2 Make sure you remove the receipt

Rule no. 3 If you are really stuck for ideas and can't think past a box of chocolates or sweets, at least make sure they're decent ones

Rule no. 4 Don't buy anything that could be offensive!

One year I received religious books and I was equally offended. Just because that person was ultra religious I didn't feel that it was suitable for a SS

TBH I felt like crying when everyone else was getting funnies or lovelies I ended up with a Bible.

Since then I have opted out whenever possible .

People are very strange, gifts should always be given with the person's interests and personality foremost in your mind. In my humble opinion, that is!

People are very strange, gifts should always be given with the person's interests and personality foremost in your mind. In my humble opinion, that is!

I agree to a certain extent, but know it can be difficult if you draw out the name of somebody you don't know very well, and if you do know their tastes there's a chance you might pick something they already have. I just think though there are so many shops and online retailers that you can buy something that someone will like regardless without having to opt for something unimaginative like chocolates. Last year I did get chocs, but as chocs go it was a big box and they were really nice, but if I'm honest I was a bit disappointed! The year before I received a set of coloured soda glasses, I guessed that it was from somebody who doesn't know me that well, but I appreciated the gift, use them regularly and they're still going strong. Don't think I'd have been over happy with the "sexy calendar" though!

Before I retired I worked in a large office, I think my colleagues considered me a bit of a spoilsport when I started opting out of the 'secret santa'. Although, some gifts were carefully chosen to suit the person receiving,others seemed to be bought with the sole intention of getting a laugh at the recipients expense, which to me not only seemed cruel but a complete waste of money.I have to admit though that when I did participate in the secret santa I never received anything unsuitable, but the thought of one of my colleagues being humiliated like this just put me off the whole idea.

Wishing you all a very Happy 2016.

If we do it again next year I think we're gonna have to put a blanket ban on chocs as a gift, though it may be quite awkward as so many this time gave them...but it's not on. One fella sent his recipient a set of star wars related books as he knew they were a massive fan...what did he get? - a box of poxy Ferrero Rochers, not only cheap, but boring and thoughtless...FFS there was xmas jumpers for £10 or less all over the high street if you were really stuck for ideas, cocktail sets, funky wine glasses...so many good pressies at the right price all with a generous helping of seasonal cheer. I was lucky I got a lovely gift!

I posted on one of the Q threads about "worst presents" that years ago when my brother worked in a male-dominated printing company he was given as a Secret Santa gift a huge pot of Vaseline (implying he was gay as he wasn't married/ didn't talk about his girl friends) I was horrified that anyone would still think so small-minded back then (late 80s early 90s)

That's funny Alan, he used to cycle to work (quicker than driving through London, though probably more risky!)

I'm not sure which would be worse Suz, had he been gay it could have been an unwelcome outing; as it was he just had to laugh it off! He just didn't meet the woman he wanted to marry until he was in his 40s. Not that I should need to explain for him.

I'm just relieved that times have changed for the better, mostly.

There is nothing more cruel than an all female workforce.

Many a young lad has been scarred for life working in a factory where older females dominated. I have seem some questionable antics in the name of so called fun.

Not everything was wonderful in the old days but somehow I suspect in very small factories where HR duties are doubled up with tea lady it still goes on today.

We had so many problems,moans ,complaints ,and people offended , that we now do a£1 shop lucky dip. Everyone pays £1 then gets to pick a present from a Santa sack. This year is the 4th year of doing it this way , and 67 people took part. The 1sr year we tried it about 26 took part .No moans about gifts as what do you expect for £1. It keeps it light heated and a bit of fun. It's amazing what you can get in a £1 shop

Latest posts

Back