Sit up p&p vs High St. A presenters view.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well the ASA will be busy as someone via his Paul Becque on Bid TV page is threatning to report Paul Becque to the ASA for number of quantity of stock was less than what Paul Becque was stating. Here's the post.

"Im really apalled of what you did tonight. I thought I could trust you. I was going to ask earlier why you said there were 125 of these Epad things and why it was divided into 2 lots on the web 75 and 50. You said to bob 'How low can we do this? WOW Are you sure? Okay under 200 pds' You knew the start price was £190 a...nyway!

THEN I was watching it online, and the auction with 75 started. (You made it sound like they were going really fast you sed 'we have less than 100, now less than 90....now 80') Even though there were only 75 to start with!!

You are now saying 'I will ask the buyers if we can get a few more' I BET you £1,000,000 that there will be 50 more! The other 50 you held back!

You will have to be reported, as you have made it sound like there were more than there actually was!
See more

Paul! You said you had 100 of them. OMG!! You just haid 50 have gone now 60 gone. I WATCHED ON THE WEB! THERE WAS ONLY 50 THAT TIME TO START WITH ASA here we come.

‎@ stacey: he said he sold 125 and he has 100 more comming. The 125 turned out to be 75 and the 100 turned out to be 50! Thats lying!

@Rachie I didnt want it, I was just stating that it is breech of contract by saying you have sold more than you actually have! He sold 125 in total, he made it sound like 225 were sold!

When paul said 'we have less than 100, less than 90......what bob? less than 80 now?' they only started with 75!! Its against the ASA rules!

@Stacey I know they fly out, so why lie about it?

Im nt sure if u know but presenters have to prep for 5 hours before their show with the producer so dont under estimate them!

Paul knew the start price was £190, so why say 'What can we do, b...ob? Oh are you sure, I dont want to say it if we cant? Okay guarenteed under £200' HE KNEW THE PRICE ALL ALONG! Do you really think one of the biggest products on the channel wouldnt be planned?

Not sure what to make of this..

Well the ASA will be busy as someone via his Paul Becque on Bid TV page is threatning to report Paul Becque to the ASA for number of quantity of stock was less than what Paul Becque was stating.
I was actually watching when this happened, but I wasn't looking at the Bid TV website at the same time therefore didn't know about the reduced quantity that was physically available for that particular sale.

All things considered, to me personally it seems fairly certain that there was a deception relating to the quantity available for purchase at the time, although I thought it was fairly obvious that there was more of the product in the warehouse but not scheduled to be sold that particular evening. Perhaps a classic case of making a product (no matter how good it may be) appear to be more in demand than it actually is, but proving that Paul personally knew about all of the elements of the deception may be next to impossible unless there is supplementary evidence.

Personally I feel that Bid TV in particular has become more of a "hard sell" channel in recent months, which has manifested itself in several ways such as the "edging out" of popular presenters who may not have been shifting stock as quickly as management wanted them to (I'm thinking of Greg Scott here), and an increased repetition of certain product lines for sale combined with presenters taking more and more liberties with product descriptions than ever before compared to not so long ago (as with those Allfine 'netbooks').

I've had a reply from the ASA saying they are looking into my complaint! I urge everyone to report any company who is trying to pull the wool over our eyes!!

Rich

All things considered, to me personally it seems fairly certain that there was a deception relating to the quantity available for purchase at the time, although I thought it was fairly obvious that there was more of the product in the warehouse but not scheduled to be sold that particular evening. Perhaps a classic case of making a product (no matter how good it may be) appear to be more in demand than it actually is, but proving that Paul personally knew about all of the elements of the deception may be next to impossible unless there is supplementary evidence.

That echoes what I feel. I don't think you can hold Paul Becque personally for this one. :wait:

I'm a bit perlexed about this. Why make a fuss? The fellow wasn't trying to diddle anyone was he. Why blame him? He is fed info via his earpiece from the gallery... blame them if you have to

Just had a look on the Facebook page and the post has been deleted by Paul Becque.

Wow Paul Becque certainly doesn't like criticism. A poster on his facebook page posted a post basically stating please don't make the i-pad alternative that sit-up are selling to be something that it isn't (That its on a par with the i-pad) and that he will be getting in touch with the sit-up bosses because he bought a halogen oven that based on the fact that it was sold diffrently to what he recieved and what does he do , He DELETES the post which was a credible post imo.

Wow Paul Becque certainly doesn't like criticism. A poster on his facebook page posted a post basically stating please don't make the i-pad alternative that sit-up are selling to be something that it isn't (That its on a par with the i-pad) and that he will be getting in touch with the sit-up bosses because he bought a halogen oven that based on the fact that it was sold diffrently to what he recieved and what does he do , He DELETES the post which was a credible post imo.
I will wholly admit that it was me who made that post on Pauls Facebook page today as i saw the comments here about the i-pad and said to him please don't lie about the quantity again tonight.
Now i will get in touch with Sit-up as the 12lt halogen oven i bought was NOT as described on the channel, the video they showed at the time had an extender ring included in the video.
When i bought it Paul said as it was their biggest halogen oven they sell this did not include an extender ring.
I have received the item and opened it today, now as i was not expecting an extension ring i was amazed by the fact that it included a loose slip of paper within the instruction book.

This is what that enclosed slip of paper says:
Extension ring
The extension ring allows the lid to be raised for increased inner volume. The extension ring does not seal at the bottom so the oven should not be overfilled with liquids.
I stop there as the rest of the slip gets boring.

So i must really ask... WHY did Bid show a video of a halogen oven with an extender ring when they knew that they were not, and WHY have i received the item saying i SHOULD have an extender ring?

And to Dippy One my name is Neil

Ooo! I bought a halogen oven. I think i saw it on Ideal World but Iooked on ebay and saw them cheaper including the accessories pack (with extender ring, 'ooerr') and bought one.

I think it is bad of sit up to show the extender ring ('ooerr') on the video and not include it in the sale. :doh:

Ooo! I bought a halogen oven. I think i saw it on Ideal World but Iooked on ebay and saw them cheaper including the accessories pack (with extender ring, 'ooerr') and bought one.

I think it is bad of sit up to show the extender ring ('ooerr') on the video and not include it in the sale. :doh:

Its not just bad, its wholly illegal unless they make it VERY clear it doesnt come with one!

Rich

Personally I feel that Bid TV in particular has become more of a "hard sell" channel in recent months, which has manifested itself in several ways such as the "edging out" of popular presenters who may not have been shifting stock as quickly as management wanted them to (I'm thinking of Greg Scott here), and an increased repetition of certain product lines for sale combined with presenters taking more and more liberties with product descriptions than ever before compared to not so long ago (as with those Allfine 'netbooks').

I know its the other channel but I was watching Steve McDonald on Price Drop selling those allfine "netbooks" last night for I think £150 and it was the same old guff coming out of his mouth that Stumpy Bloke has been saying. 100+ of these netbooks went in about 90 seconds last night , I think there's going to be a lot of returns when people find out it isn't like the product that's been described.

Also I've looked at prices you can buy them for below £80 the cheapest. I've put in a few links too. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sour...l=&oq=allfine+ne&gs_rfai=&fp=ac007db151890001

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OCBPP0/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

How the hell can these ***** get away with telling such blatant lies!!! WTF!!!???? Its 100% misselling!!!!

The ASA had better do something about this - I've heard nothing from them since their acknowledgment of my complaint still!!

Rich

Last edited:
Finally had a reply from bid tv stating they will pass on the details to the relevant parties! I almost guarantee it makes no difference and they will continue to tell the same pile'o lies!! Time will tell, I hope they stop this behaviour though!

Rich

Do you know what all this reminds me of? Those 'auction' fly-by-night shops that appeared on Oxford Street, London and other places in the 1990's where people were supposed to get great deals in TVs and other consumer electronics. These so-called 'auctions' were quite dodgy from what I remembered, relying on stooges in the crowd and goods that came in big black dustbin bags.

I stand by my comment in another thread. I am pretty sure that the stock for each auction is not limited to 10-200, but is dependant on the demand of the viewers who call in. Can you really see the sit-up channels just dumping calls if the 'stock limit' has been reached? No, of course not. It's all about the :cash::cash:

Do you know what all this reminds me of? Those 'auction' fly-by-night shops that appeared on Oxford Street, London and other places in the 1990's where people were supposed to get great deals in TVs and other consumer electronics. These so-called 'auctions' were quite dodgy from what I remembered, relying on stooges in the crowd and goods that came in big black dustbin bags.

I stand by my comment in another thread. I am pretty sure that the stock for each auction is not limited to 10-200, but is dependant on the demand of the viewers who call in. Can you really see the sit-up channels just dumping calls if the 'stock limit' has been reached? No, of course not. It's all about the :cash::cash:

I remember those auctions! We used to have them in our local church hall. I only went once, that was enough. You are quite right about the stooges and the dustbin liners.

Well you are wrong here I'm affraid. I've called up with a few in the quantity, by the time I got through I got a message saying 'sorry you have missed out. Next time call in early!' So they dont keep taking calls- If this was the case, they might as well have an item number like the other channels.

Greg said:
I stand by my comment in another thread. I am pretty sure that the stock for each auction is not limited to 10-200, but is dependant on the demand of the viewers who call in. Can you really see the sit-up channels just dumping calls if the 'stock limit' has been reached? No, of course not. It's all about the
I'll make two points:

Firstly, if (for example) a handbag is being sold on Bid TV at 9pm on Friday, it's likely that the handbag will only be purchased by those who are able to watch at the time, especially given the low number of web bids per item (at least judging from the way the quantity drops). Therefore it makes more sense to sell smaller quantities of the same item at different times in order to maximise the number of genuine purchases made across the week (or day); if the quantity is dropping slowly then it simply means that they are flogging a dead horse, so to speak, hence the use of a timer in these cases.

And secondly, if people miss out on purchasing an item they might be more likely to phone earlier for their next purchase, resulting in more people ringing in early (as also encouraged by the current "cash giveaway" but that seems to have a negligible effect from what I've seen) and the price locking at a greater value, in turn making more money for the channel.

Had a reply from ASA stating they will take no further action as they veiwed the tape but didnt find any of the bits I complained about! Methinks they lie! Anyway I found a video on Youtube where they keep talking about word this and word that blah blah - so off I go to the ASA again!! Idiots!

Rich

Latest posts

Back