Stopped in the street.............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Alter Ego, I'm still laughing at your above post.....'a 5 day old run over skunk'
Laughing but appalled at the same time that is 🤮
It beggars belief that a woman could be so filthy, and yes what's wrong with standing by a sink, kettle of warm water, soap and flannel.
Dirty lazy and disgusting, she wasn't married was she? 😬
Good for you for telling her straight and reporting her.
Wonder how she's dealing with all this extra hand washing and sanitizing 🤭

Interesting thread.

I used to love my Pretty Peach set. I had the bath gel, the body lotion and a long-handled puff that you filled with the matching talc. I looked it up on eBay a few years ago and saw one going for about £90! The packaging was so appealing to me with the peach as the top.

Ugh, Poison. It gave me the worst sick-headaches. Apologies to people who love it. I often used to think the women who wore it must have had a very poor sense of smell (or mine was very sensitive - which it is, I suppose, as I can recognise most perfumes and notes). A bit like the young men who douse themselves in Lynx expecting to 'pull a bird' and being disappointed when they get turned away by any female with a nose. Walking fire hazards!

I live in a rural area where we'd frequently go days with power cuts. We couldn't have a bath but that doesn't mean my mum would let us go without a good wash. She'd boil the kettle on a camping stove in the lean-to and fill the sink for us to wash. This method came in handy a few years ago when I'd had both ankles pinned after breaking them and was put in non-weight-bearing plasters for a few weeks. My OH would wheel me to the downstairs loo where I'd sit on the loo, put towels around me and wash with a Ramy sponge (love those things).

I don't accept the excuse of not having access to a bath as acceptable. I'm from a family of miners that still had an outside toilet until I was seven and bathed in a tin bath in front of the fire. We'd all bath in it before the men came home then they'd bath in our soapy water!

I worked for a while with a woman living a few hundred yards down the road from me. It was common for us to pick up lifts as a lot of us rurals worked in the same big hospital 30 miles away. I'd go 10 miles out of my way to pick other colleagues up as she didn't wash and stunk the department out - sick-inducing stink, not just BO. Our manager told her several times that she'd been complained about but she used the non-excuse of having no hot water to bath. She came on to me not long before I left quite angry that I'd never offered her a lift even though we lived so close. As I was leaving (and she'd caught me during a PMT-induced rage) I let her have it both barrels about how she was so dirty and smelly that no one wanted her near them and that she was obviously too lazy to boil a kettle and wash in the sink and take her clothes to a laundrette. That it was a disgrace she was turning up for work at a hospital smelling like a 5-day old run-over skunk and that I'd be reporting her to HR and top management. Which I did.

Quite a few people signed a department petition about her and after several warnings which she was either defiant about or complained about not being able to afford to wash (someone left a bar of soap on her desk after that), she was sacked. She lost a great job because she didn't mind upsetting colleagues and patients with her lazy/dirty ways. Serves her right as far as I was concerned. Absolutely no need for it.

How the hell do these people think we managed 50/60 years ago? My nan would be amazed if she was alive to see a power shower these days!

Sorry, I'm ranty again. My OH often calls me Mrs Angry (well, at least once a month!).

Oh AE we have a similar situation going on in our street. A neighbour of ours lost her husband a few years ago, he was a horrible man and the stories too long to go to in great detail but to cut a long story short, he took early retirement on the grounds of ill health (bad back) and became housebound and eventually bed bound. We knew the lady to speak to in the street and sometimes saw her in the local. Since hubby died (30 stone and had to be literally cut out of the house to be taken to hospital) she has latched on to us, we've been having her over for dinner regularly, running errands for her, hubby's driven her to hospital appointments etc. It turns out her late husband was a hoarder and she's living in sqaulor with no hot water, we've offered help which she refuses point blank to take. The 5 day old run over skunk comment is exactly what she smells like...she smokes like a chimney, never has a wash. and when she leaves our house you can smell her for days! I really don't want to be unkind but she will not accept any help, I even said she could have a bath round ours..I'm actually pleased she refused to take me up on the offer. Her nextdoor neighbour reported her to the council because her garden was full of rubbish and rats and water is constantly dripping from a pipe and going downhill into their garden. She now has a social worker, but they don't seem to be doing much to help her. She refuses to pay for anything to be done to clear the place and have repairs done, but I'd estimate she spends at least £30 a day in the pub. She has asthma and high blood pressure but she refuses to stop smoking and said she tried vaping but she didn't like it. I feel really really unkind because the loss of her husband as awful as he was has devasted her...but what can you do...and why should I have her round stinking my place out? I have offered to help her clear stuff and clean but she won't let me in the house! ...It's such a long story and like I said it's far to long to go into..but how do you help someone who refuses to budge an inch. She says she doesn't care if she dies - but she calls ambulances as regularly as she calls taxis..She hacks and coughs and splutters as well, ok not covid but still very unpleasant!

I used to use Revlon Intimate all the time, loved it.
There were some lovely Goya scents too, Entice was gorgeous.
Even Max Factor with Electrique, Primitif & Hypnotique.

My earliest memory of perfume was this tiny blue bottle on Mum’s dressing table, early 1960’s :

CA6C7F99-6FCD-4CA9-AB9B-35654D7433D5.jpeg

I have a small velvet evening bag which belonged to my late Mother and inside is an empty bottle of Evening In Paris. She died over 30 years ago and the bag and bottle date back to the 60`s I`d say. The inside of the bag still smells of the perfume and that was something she always did, empty perfume bottles would be placed in a drawer or bag so as to fragrance the clothes etc and she`d also put scented soap in her wardrobe so when you opened the wardrobe door it smelled fresh and she also said it kept moths away.
Here`s the link to the perfume on Fragrantica which gives you a description plus comments and also other perfumes which smell similar.

I have a small velvet evening bag which belonged to my late Mother and inside is an empty bottle of Evening In Paris. She died over 30 years ago and the bag and bottle date back to the 60`s I`d say. The inside of the bag still smells of the perfume and that was something she always did, empty perfume bottles would be placed in a drawer or bag so as to fragrance the clothes etc and she`d also put scented soap in her wardrobe so when you opened the wardrobe door it smelled fresh and she also said it kept moths away.
Here`s the link to the perfume on Fragrantica which gives you a description plus comments and also other perfumes which smell similar.
I do all those things as well. I love descriptions of perfumes & this sounds lovely. I've just bought three from Eden Perfumes, I chose them from the details on their website & I'm really pleased with the two I'll wear, the other one is for my younger daughter & after sniffing it from the atomiser I think she'll be happy too.

I remember it as a small rectangular shape too, obviously more suited to the pockets of those buying for a special occasion.

I never used it but I remember it from home but don’t remember who would have worn it as my mother was not a perfume person. Perhaps an aunt?

I remember Yardley’s Lavender and their foundation cream that Mam used to use.Then we moved forward to my favourite Blue Grass ( Elizabeth Arden?) and Apple Blossom, Helena Rubinstein.I still love the Dior classics I used to buy in duty free when I started travelling early 70’s & Joy Jean Patou which I bought again a couple of years ago.

Blue Grass was my teenage special treat and it’s the only one that Mr L can recognise even after 50 years. You can buy it really cheaply and I’m often tempted but think it and I will have changed too much so it will spoil a nice memory.

Latest posts

Back