Susan Graver "Style"?? on QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
Just caught some of meCharlie presenting Susan Graver "Style" on QVC (I'd say "style" is not a word that should be used in the same breath). £42 for what's basically a long-sleeved tee-shirt in what looked like a Sweaty Betty polyester material, with eye-watering patterns on them (a yellow and black one looked like it was covered in a print of bananas - what's all that about?). I suppose the patterns are OK if you want to look like a stained-glass window or as though you've got bananas plastered all over your top area(!), but at £40-£42 they are definitely taking the p.... The woman guest is quite stylish, very attractive, that's the odd thing. As my husband said, the only good thing about wearing one of those is that if you decided to go missing, the Police helicopter would have no trouble finding you - better than wearing a fluorescent vest or a Davy lamp on your head. Surely, there's got to be some decent fashion they could offer, and at a price that doesn't need a mortgage?:mysmilie_10:

The guest is a fashion journalist, appeared on This Morning in the R&J days, had a son to Richard "Countdown" Whiteley.

The guest is Lesley Ebbetts - she also used to stand in for George Simonton when he still had his range on QVC. She has her own "with sleeves" range on QVC.

I prefer her to some of the "celebrity stylists" they have fronting up other brands on QVC, as she doesn't come on the tv looking like a total fright and reel off a list of shows she's "styled" for.

Susan Gravers clothing has gone downhill in the past couple of years. Some years back ,it was a bit more distinctive and not so cheap looking.Now it looks like she gets it from the same large warehouse as all the other American so called designers.I make an exception of Marla Wynnes designs.

The guest is Lesley Ebbetts - she also used to stand in for George Simonton when he still had his range on QVC. She has her own "with sleeves" range on QVC.

I prefer her to some of the "celebrity stylists" they have fronting up other brands on QVC, as she doesn't come on the tv looking like a total fright and reel off a list of shows she's "styled" for.
Used to like George Simonton.

Susan Gravers clothing has gone downhill in the past couple of years. Some years back ,it was a bit more distinctive and not so cheap looking.Now it looks like she gets it from the same large warehouse as all the other American so called designers.I make an exception of Marla Wynnes designs.

They were saying on air that Susan Graver has 2 weekly shows on QVC US. Can't remember which days. But you can imagine that she must be selling serious volume over there, and be under pressure from them to keep giving them the same and at the same time something new. As she's a "captive" designer for QVC now, I suppose they basically tell her where to go to produce her stuff for them. I'm sure she's done very well out of it, and it gives some insulation from the ups and downs of the highstreet (or mall)... but at a price.

I've only bought from her range a couple of times, and each time it's gone back, so I'd be reluctant to buy again, no matter how lovely something looks - the sizing is "off" for me. She always comes over as a really nice lady - not at all brash, and the same I think can be said for Lesley.

I hope Marla Wynne never becomes a QVC exclusive - then we'll probably see a decline in the brand.

Loveinamist, thanks for that, I'd no idea (so many knowledgeable people on here, I'm always finding out something new). Ah, Richard Whiteley! So sad when he died much too soon, a true eccentric and lovely man, such a dry wit.

The guest is a fashion journalist, appeared on This Morning in the R&J days, had a son to Richard "Countdown" Whiteley.

Susan Graver's first offering in the UK were polo-neck plain long-sleeve tops. I bought 3 in different colours and I've had years of great wear out of them and they're still going strong. I think they were about £19 at the time, a long way from the £40+ they charge now. I watch her shows in hopes that the prices will drop, but no sign of it so far. Nor do I like her current designs.

Lesley Ebbets used to do a style section on YTV Calendar(local news channel) back in the 80s. She was really good then and l think she is now. She is very calm and knows what she is talking about. Some of the so called 'stylists' they get on QVC are absolutely shocking. There was one on last week doing the Ronni Nicole outlet show and she was terrible. I never bought any of Lesley's 'With Sleeves' clothes but they looked really 'normal' and wearable. I personally would not buy clothes without trying them on because l have such a wierd, stumpy, stocky shape! I would end up spending a fortune in postage sending them back because l really struggle to find things to suit me. On the high Street l have to take rails of stuff into the changing rooms before l find something that suits me!

One of the things I wish QVC would do is an equivalent of Beauty Bash for fashion*. With a chance to try stuff on without the pallaver of all the postages to send stuff back... It would be great to feel some of the fabrics and perhaps learn about the weight, drape and feel, as well as the finish.

I get so confused with all the different poly jerseys they do. There's brazil knit, shantung (Kimmie), miracle matte jersey (Lennie), milky knit (George Simonton), and goodness knows what else besides. It's all meaningless jargon to me unless I have seen and felt the different fabrics.

So often, even if I love a colour or a pattern or style - I touch the fabric and decide "no". I did take a chance on some of the Isaac Mizrahi t-shirts on QVC the other week and am delighted with them - and it's as much down to the quality and feel of the fabric as it is to the colours and style.

Also, if you buy multiple sizes of something and keep one, I don't think the other sizes should count against returns as the QVC presenters themselves are the ones urging us to buy multiple sizes and send back the ones that don't fit!!! Or buy all the colourways to see which one you like. The presenters are very naughty, and not in a good way, doing that.

*provided the tickets were not offered on some secret methodology which excludes people who are currently not buying... as it would be a perfect means of getting people more confident to buy.

They do this already (or did a couple of years ago). I went through a phase of buying a few Kim & Co dresses and got an invitation to the fashion event. I couldn't go though, and not heard that they have done any more but I hardly buy clothes off QVC any more.

I've been invited to a couple of their "fashion show" events, one years ago at Marco Polo when the models all made a fuss of DD (then about 11ish). Then I went to one in 2014 not far from London Bridge (forget the name of the venue). At the show last year they had rails of clothes to look at but it felt like the first day of the sales: too many ladies wanting to trawl through the same rails.
The first event was probably because I'd bought lots of the basic viscose slinky Kim & Co sleeveless tops and still wear them almost daily. The second event possibly because I bought a few Lulu Guinness bags (but also returned two). In fact in recent years I've returned more fashion than I've kept.

I'm only 90 minutes away from London by train but if I'd had to use a day's leave or travel from further afield I'm not sure I'd bother again. As well as only a small number of garments to look at there wasn't a facility to try on; although a couple of ladies were trying on Basso coats. When I asked if I could try the new range of Emu boots from the display they weren't forthcoming even though I explained I was a 3 in the old range but couldn't confidently order again as they'd revised their sizing. Just got a blank look!

I must say there are very few designers on Q that I now buy from. For trousers in petite for me, it is Women with Control, they just fit me right and in my short size, compared to others. I dislike her Attitudes range, as nothing suits me there, from what I've bought, it has always been returned, no so with WWC - I love.

Next I love Marla Wynne, I like her designs and fabrics, then next to that I like Susan Graver, again I like colour in the summer, and her clothes also fit me right, but I'm fairly new to her range since I never really watched the shows before a couple of months ago, when I purchased a lovely orange and pink tunic, which I adore - so when SG hour was on last night I purchased another two items, of course, if they don't suit me they will be returned.

As for Leslie Ebbets, I think she is very understated and not 'shouty' and I do feel she is genuine. I did like her in the early days so i'm happy to watch her hours on Q - she is very knowledeable and I wish she would dress me, perhaps I could keep her in my cupboard which is quite roomy, under the stairs LoL

I often wish I was tall, I think everything even if you're overweight, looks better on a tall figure. I remember when I was a little girl, walking down the street with my mother, a lady tall and elegant walking towards us, and my mother very quietly said to me ''this lady is a model'', the reason she knew that was quite simply because of the way the 'model' carried herself, and specifically the way she walked, she was also very tall and slim (not skinny). That's when I wished I was tall, and have done so all of my life, if there was an operation I could have to take me from 5ft to 5ft9ins. I would have it.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sure you're quite beautiful as you are ! We are never happy with ourselves whatever we are. I'm 5'7, and in my teens was quite gangly, even worse when my 2 best friends were under 5'3. I often felt like the vinegar bottle between the salt and pepper whenever we went out , and so wished to be shorter and more petite. (I've since grown east to west, so don't look as tall now !)

My best friend came up to my armpits. We all come in different shapes and sizes and it's sad that we wish for different. Straightening curly hair to within an inch of its life and vise versa. I was mocked at School for my voluptuous lips, who has the last laugh now?

I have dead straight hair and sometimes wish for a few waves,but generally I am happy with it.It cuts quite well into a bob but i have also had it very long .My friends who have curls are forever straightening it and worried about going out in the damp. Years ago as a child I remember I had a home perm ,I think it was called Twink....Put me off perms for life.......I looked ridiculous. I'd like to have a few less lumps and bumps but that's life ........

Next I love Marla Wynne, I like her designs and fabrics, then next to that I like Susan Graver, again I like colour in the summer, and her clothes also fit me right, but I'm fairly new to her range since I never really watched the shows before a couple of months ago, when I purchased a lovely orange and pink tunic, which I adore - so when SG hour was on last night I purchased another two items, of course, if they don't suit me they will be returned.

My favourite colour combination. Do you have the details, please?

I think it's a cheat that you don't get that half P&P saving if you order different colours of the same item number. And add that to the cost of sending back if you don't like it. QVC really should do free or subsidised returns on fashion items, especially as they're often so bad at providing decent size information.

Latest posts

Back