Todays Top Tech TSV 18/05/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wish they would do a normal hp laptop, chromebooks not for me.
Well I have a Windows 2in1 laptop and an Android tablet & phone, so just interested in trying a (cheap/reasonably priced decent power) Chromebook to see if they're any good and if they compete with Windows/normal laptops and how different they are/not to android tablets.
How different is ChromeOS to Android?

@markd what are your reasons for not wanting or being interested particularly in Chromebooks? MS compatibility, UI, power, or what?

If anybody has any experience or info on Chromebooks, I'd be interested as never used one yet.

Well I have a Windows 2in1 laptop and an Android tablet & phone, so just interested in trying a (cheap/reasonably priced decent power) Chromebook to see if they're any good and if they compete with Windows/normal laptops and how different they are/not to android tablets.
How different is ChromeOS to Android?

@markd what are your reasons for not wanting or being interested particularly in Chromebooks? MS compatibility, UI, power, or what?

If anybody has any experience or info on Chromebooks, I'd be interested as never used one yet.
I download lots of exercise videos from you tube and like them on the laptop rather than the cloud as I can access them without Internet access.

I download lots of exercise videos from you tube and like them on the laptop rather than the cloud as I can access them without Internet access.
Does a Chromebook have no local SSD/usb storage at all then? You have to use Google drive?

They have either eMMC or SSD
So @markd it sounds like a Chromebook wouldn't preclude you from doing the same and downloading video files to the local SSD or memory card storage and you should be ok.

One feature I've seen advertised of Chromebooks is virus Def updates and security is simplified by Google with less downtime, c.f. Windows Updates.

I guess one main feature is software/app requirements; a Chromebook can't run MS software suites, and other windows 64-bit software and you're reliant on the Google chrome app store. But OpenOffice, etc. may be good enough. But if you need Photoshop or other software you need MS Windows to run it if not available in Chromebook store. Is that a fair summary?

Attachments

• HP TSV 1.png
    HP TSV 1.png
    733.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HP TSV 2.png
    HP TSV 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • HP TSV 3.png
    HP TSV 3.png
    890.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HP TSV 4.png
    HP TSV 4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • HP TSV 5.png
    HP TSV 5.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
So @markd it sounds like a Chromebook wouldn't preclude you from doing the same and downloading video files to the local SSD or memory card storage and you should be ok.

One feature I've seen advertised of Chromebooks is virus Def updates and security is simplified by Google with less downtime, c.f. Windows Updates.

I guess one main feature is software/app requirements; a Chromebook can't run MS software suites, and other windows 64-bit software and you're reliant on the Google chrome app store. But OpenOffice, etc. may be good enough. But if you need Photoshop or other software you need MS Windows to run it if not available in Chromebook store. Is that a fair summary?
I've had an Acer chromebook for a few years and really like it as it's so quick and easy. I only use it for browsing, emails, youtube etc and the odd spreadsheet or letter. I prtfer something bigger to a tablet with a proper keyboard so it's perfect for me.

My laptop was on its last legs, although it still works albeit like a snail, and so I replaced it with a MacBook Air. However, 99% of the time I use my iPad.

I guess the HP laptop means a day of Lee Holbein explaining tech like he usually does. 🙄

Latest posts

Back