TV ads that really annoy & insult my intelligence!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Hamlet ads were always good for a laugh, but of course they're unable to advertise tobacco nowadays, and of course the ads for Carling Black label and Heineken - The water in "Majorka don't taste like wot it oughta", the Volkswagen ad with the woman throwing away her pearls and fur coat, hope it's chips its chips - So many good ads and memorable catchphrases - Now most of the ads are nerve jangly annoying or leave you thinking WTAF?!

The Hamlet ads were always good for a laugh, but of course they're unable to advertise tobacco nowadays, and of course the ads for Carling Black label and Heineken - The water in "Majorka don't taste like wot it oughta", the Volkswagen ad with the woman throwing away her pearls and fur coat, hope it's chips its chips - So many good ads and memorable catchphrases - Now most of the ads are nerve jangly annoying or leave you thinking WTAF?!
Some memories there. And one to add to that is, Papa. Nicole.

Vogue Williams Eh? I might have guessed she wouldn't have been called Susan Shuttleworth. She gets right on my paps. As for all those impossible to open items, I nearly ended up in A&E after trying to prise the bleach cap off with a knife. Just who can open those? Not anyone with arthritic hands I'll tell you. And those Ariel adverts, if you read the small print they are all polyester white t shirts which I'm guessing wash easier than cotton. Washing powder has to be the biggest con ever - nothing comes out clean at any temperature or maybe Mr CC is just the worst eater ever. Try getting curry/tomato sauce out of a cotton shirt at 30 degrees even with Vanish. It can't be done. Why did I read this thread?? Pass the wine 🍷🍷

CC
I can NEVER open a bottle of bleach. Child proof, and Anna proof. My OH has to open them for me. So annoying.

I used to love the Um Bongo ads when I was a kid but they had a show on ch5 about the 70s or 80s the other day and said it was racist!

I used to love the Um Bongo ads when I was a kid but they had a show on ch5 about the 70s or 80s the other day and said it was racist!
That's coz they drink it in the congo. And then there's the one with the shouty girl. TRIO.....

What on earth is racist about a carton of juice?

CC
I guess it's all down to what's known as "white privilege" "Um Bongo" they drink it in the Congo, they drink it in the jungle and it's highly likely that this seemingly innocent and fun jingle has been used as a racist taunt in school playgrounds and perhaps not just in schools. I'm not saying non-white kids are exempt from bullying and taunts (of course they aren't) but if a company can do something in the name of prevention, especially when it comes to casual racism, which lets face it is corporate suicide in this day and age I don't blame them.

Last night saw the ad for Tango. It was dreadful don't know who thought it would be a great ad.
Totally agree, it’s awful.

What on earth is racist about a carton of juice?

CC
I’m fed up with people searching avidly for stuff that they can call racist. Just leave things be, it’s becomes racist when people like you draw attention to it in the hope it sparks a few grumbles. For goodness sake get a life.

I’m fed up with people searching avidly for stuff that they can call racist. Just leave things be, it’s becomes racist when people like you draw attention to it in the hope it sparks a few grumbles. For goodness sake get a life.
When I say you I don’t mean Candycane, I mean the original sender.

When I say you I don’t mean Candycane, I mean the original sender.
I didn't say it was racist. I said I liked the ad but the people on the ch5 programme said it was racist. I don't think it is, or ever was and think it is ridiculous to label it thus.

Back