Tanzanite is r a r e

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

persianglitter

Fire up the Quattro!
hello i am confused with the advice regarding the up and coming rarity of Tanzanite. This morning on GT Sam said there is only about another 10 years left, and I am pretty sure Liam said that there was 12 years left, someone else mentioned it could be as little as 8 years, and meanwhile i heard on another jewellery channel its 20 years? And the stone of our generation, and if in the future we wanted to own a Tanzanite, the only way we could get one, would be to buy second hand!!!???? then surely that means it would still be available to buy? I would call it recycling? but too often are they too keen to mention how R A R E Tanzanite is - surely one day soon, all stones will slowly be depleated in the not too far off future?? Someone reading this, please put me straight - as i am in a bit of a quandry - (i note Tanzanite is the stone for a 24th wedding anniversary! thats this July for me! now i dont want the Tanzanite to run out before the end of July lol) xxx

Just to put this into perspective ............

Tanzanite was found in the 1960s (if I remember correctly) and has been mined, at the same mine, since that time. So, that's almost 50 years of mining. Current estimates are that it might run out in 15-20 years time BUT what if they find a new seam? What if Tanzanite is found nearby? What if Tanzanite is found in a neighbouring country i.e. like Paraiba Tourmaline - Brazil/Mozambique etc? There are too many "ifs" and "buts" to be 100% positive.

Only buy it if you love it. Don't buy any gemstone for a profit or thinking it will increase in value. There are very very very very few gemstones that you'd be able to sell for more than you buy them for. Tanzanite certainly isn't one of them and is unlikely to be. IF it runs out in, say, 20 years time, you'll still have tons on the market for a while after that. I'm afraid, we'll be very old and grey before Tanzanite increases in price on the second hand market (if at all)!

Bit of a bummer eh?!

Just to put this into perspective ............

Tanzanite was found in the 1960s (if I remember correctly) and has been mined, at the same mine, since that time. So, that's almost 50 years of mining. Current estimates are that it might run out in 15-20 years time BUT what if they find a new seam? What if Tanzanite is found nearby? What if Tanzanite is found in a neighbouring country i.e. like Paraiba Tourmaline - Brazil/Mozambique etc? There are too many "ifs" and "buts" to be 100% positive.

Only buy it if you love it. Don't buy any gemstone for a profit or thinking it will increase in value. There are very very very very few gemstones that you'd be able to sell for more than you buy them for. Tanzanite certainly isn't one of them and is unlikely to be. IF it runs out in, say, 20 years time, you'll still have tons on the market for a while after that. I'm afraid, we'll be very old and grey before Tanzanite increases in price on the second hand market (if at all)!

Bit of a bummer eh?!

It's a great way to keep the prices overiinflated though innit? xx

It really, really hacks me off to hear these presenters warble on about mines running out, value increasing, stock up now blah blah blah. Do they think we're all simple minded fools?
If there are any poor souls taken in, it's a downright shame. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Maybe the way it's couched is not out and out lying but the overall tone is very misleading.

Yes, tanzanite is so rare that they can only sell it all day, every day, on TJC, Rocks & co, etc!

Don't get me wrong, I love tanzanite - just bought a lovely one, only because I like it, not because I expect it to make me a profit! - but they don't tell you about the tons they've already got out of the ground sitting in the warehouse...

Yes, tanzanite is so rare that they can only sell it all day, every day, on TJC, Rocks & co, etc!

Don't get me wrong, I love tanzanite - just bought a lovely one, only because I like it, not because I expect it to make me a profit! - but they don't tell you about the tons they've already got out of the ground sitting in the warehouse...

RR ditto, i do love tanzanite! but they are flogging it to death, that is probably the reason it is not going to be around in the next xx years!! I was wondering, maybe they have so much tanzanite, that it is overflowing and they are having to consider other uses for it - posh grit for when it snows this winter perhaps??? lol:cheeky:

:giggle:

Heh, heh. Just imagine those big yellow bins of salt & grit they put at the side of the road. Instead of saying 'Salt' on them, it will say, 'Tanzanite'!

Now c'mon girls - let's keep to the plot, and not be exagerating so. Maybe gravel for footpaths might be a little more realistic. :cheeky: xx

Latest posts

Back