Halogen oven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

chicken-licken

Registered Shopper
I looked at the halogen oven last night and thought it seemed a good idea. Has anyone used one of these and what do you think of them? Especially,can you use them to make a cake?My cooker is oil fired and takes for ever to heat up so if I could use a halogen oven to bake a few scones,say,it would be much more economical.Thanks in advance for any help.

I got one of these from JD Williams online and had to return it. I tried to cook a chicken in it and after 1 hour, the top was burnt and the bottom not just raw but still cold!! The oven looked and sounded as if it was working but certainly didn't produce the results for me. It may have been a faulty one but I am very reluctant to order another halogen oven.

I have had three of this type of oven over the years. recently bought the JML Halogen which doesn't have a hinged lid.

I have been perfectly happy with my original two and wore them out! This is the first halogen and I've had it now a few weeks and find it every bit as good. I really do cook everything in it.

Only using my oven when baking a large amount of stuff. for smaller things or one off cakes etc I do use it no problem, i put it on lowest rack, the main thing to remember is that it doesn't need to 'warm up' like a conventional oven and being fan assisted does cook faster.

I've had to 're-learn' a few things becuse I have found this being halogen, cooks quicker than my previous ones.

Would i buy another when I've worn this one out? Most certainly!

Would I buy from IW? No, but that doesn't mean I don't rate the product, I didn't get any 'extra's with any of mine other than 2 racks and tongs, but have never felt a need for them as you can use whatever you already have that fits and is oven proof. Nor have I needed the ring for any of them, but i have seen this on previous ones (the americans seem to like them, lol)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies.I've decided to risk it---my oil bills are so enormous that it's worth a gamble !

I got one of these from JD Williams online and had to return it. I tried to cook a chicken in it and after 1 hour, the top was burnt and the bottom not just raw but still cold!! The oven looked and sounded as if it was working but certainly didn't produce the results for me. It may have been a faulty one but I am very reluctant to order another halogen oven.

The chef cooked a chicken in it, and said you should keep turning it to get it crispy all over. Now I know he meant 'cooked' :D
I have to admit that I thought it was a super deal though, and it's almost sold out.

A Good Tip

I have been using one now for some time and they are good. Mine is not hinged, so you have to put a hot top somewhere while taking the food out.
Below is something I do all the time.

Put a layer of kitchen foil down in the bowl before the rack is put in. This will catch all the oil and fat from the food.
Makes it a lot easier to clean.

I've got one of the original old Prima ovens that I bought from QVC probably 12 years ago, exactly the same concept - glass bowl, lid with heating element/fan/timer/temp control, but not halogen, just convection. It's great. I use it at least 4 times a week.

Three years ago when my oven packed in I cooked Christmas dinner in it (I have an extender ring so I can add another 6" in height to the bowl) and I fitted in a turkey crown, which turned out lovely and moist, then cooked roast potatoes (McCain's) and Yorkshire Puds.

I haven't baked a cake in it, but I often use it to cook a chicken and it always comes out lovely. I also use it for apple crumbles, which always come out golden brown on top.

Latest posts

Back