Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Qurio quote of the year - “ I don’t like cats and I don’t like brooches but there was no way I wasn’t gonna buy it at that price !”
Takes a savvy shopper to recognise a bargain! Obviously I haven’t reached those dizzy heights, if I don’t like, I don’t buy whatever the price.

Clearly not in this case - or not yet!!! This lady is not living alone and her husband has to live with all this chintzy clutter, perhaps he loves it too . I know I’m generalising but I really can’t imagine this sort of thing appealing to many fellas. Could he be turning a blind eye? though that’d be a stretch as one would have to be completely blind to be able to ignore that lot!
Some men perhaps find it easier to indulge.I know women who don’t do a thing for themselves, and really don’t know how to.If the worst happens and they loose their partner they haven’t a clue how to cope, but then the son daughter or other relative steps in.

Some men perhaps find it easier to indulge.I know women who don’t do a thing for themselves, and really don’t know how to.If the worst happens and they loose their partner they haven’t a clue how to cope, but then the son daughter or other relative steps in.
I lost my Husband 10 wks ago after 42 yrs of marriage,most women are perfectly capable of managing on their own, found your comment a bit insulting.

I lost my Husband 10 wks ago after 42 yrs of marriage,most women are perfectly capable of managing on their own, found your comment a bit insulting.
I am terribly sorry for your loss.I was not at all intending to be in the least insulting to anyone, that is certainly not my approach.I do know people like that you are obviously not one of them.I truly do wish you the best through what is a very difficult time.I know I faced it during lockdown, so I am saddened to think I have caused offence, take carex

Do you mean, as in they'd rather avoid confrontation or simply want to keep their partner happy? I'm sure this does happen but it never has in my experience. Both my ex and current husband have asked me in my time to stop wasting money on stuff, especially stuff that takes up room or makes a room look cluttered. I remember a particular argument with my ex and I snapped back at him about the amount of books we had. There was a massive bookcase in the hallway, another one in the front room which ended up with books piled on top of books, books on top of it and an ever growing pile of books beside it, there was even a pile of books on top of the lavatory cistern! It used to drive me mad, to me it looked awful and they were just dust traps! His reply was that books broaden the mind, fair point I guess but it was his refusal to thin down the collection that got to me. OH now loves to read and we do have some neat bookshelves, but thank God for Kindle and online reading!
I guess if you do have a partner who would never criticise your choices, then it's up to you to recognise that your spending is out of control/creating a cluttered looking living space or to simply consider how your partner is really feeling about how the money is being spent and the surroundings that he has to live in. Although oh is not shy in telling me to get rid of stuff that we haven't got room for or he doesn't like the look of, it was ultimately my choice to have a massive cull and sort out my finances. I'm so so glad that I did, and whilst I still buy stuff for myself and for the home, some things I buy are pricey, others are not but they are ALL considered purchases. Less is more!

I am terribly sorry for your loss.I was not at all intending to be in the least insulting to anyone, that is certainly not my approach.I do know people like that you are obviously not one of them.I truly do wish you the best through what is a very difficult time.I know I faced it during lockdown, so I am saddened to think I have caused offence, take carex
You're forgiven, not going to worry my pretty little head about it!! (joking). Thank you Donna.

Amateur psychologist: I think the real thrill is in making the order. After that's done, the arrival of the package has little value, viz. all the reports of people storing masses of unopened boxes.
I get that, but as an amateur psychologist why would anyone choose QVC, it's so blinking expensive. All I can think of is the "fake family atmosphere" they create and the fact that they provide a means to talk about/show off your purchases. Box after box from Amazon would stop once the postman's been.

Sorry for your loss but didn't think the post was insulting maybe generalising.
I'm afraid I'd be at a loss with anything going wrong in the house if my hubby went first.
Trouble is the garden would be too much to tackle,I can't undo any sort of bottle and so stop tap is impossible for me to turn off.
Good thing you don't have to change plugs now.
I know it sounds terrible doesn't it.☹️

I came from a household of strong women. My granny as my grandfather had a stroke in his 50s was out working, at home papering and painting up ladders. My mum was the same, my dad was only allowed to paint the ceilings as well, he couldn't mess it up. Changing plugs etc, it was my mum. Though she was a crap cook and my dad actually did that as he learnt in the navy.

I get that, but as an amateur psychologist why would anyone choose QVC, it's so blinking expensive. All I can think of is the "fake family atmosphere" they create and the fact that they provide a means to talk about/show off your purchases. Box after box from Amazon would stop once the postman's been.
I'm unable to access the Querio site. I'm always interested in human behaviour, so I would find it quite fascinating, I think. When QVC showed a promo for Querio, one of the women described it as 'fun' and maybe that is what it all boils down to, although, as I say, I haven't watched it. BTW, is QVC really all that expensive?

We are all different. My husband hasn’t had good health for several years and I see him growing weaker. He used to deal with everything but I have gradually taken on most of the garden and paperwork. I suppose this is making me stronger but I know he’s there to advise and help me when I’m stuck. I’m dreading the day I might be alone. Very sorry for your loss Looby Loo but glad you’re a coper.

I came from a household of strong women. My granny as my grandfather had a stroke in his 50s was out working, at home papering and painting up ladders. My mum was the same, my dad was only allowed to paint the ceilings as well, he couldn't mess it up. Changing plugs etc, it was my mum. Though she was a crap cook and my dad actually did that as he learnt in the navy.
You need strong arms to paint a ceiling. It's not easy work.

I'm unable to access the Querio site. I'm always interested in human behaviour, so I would find it quite fascinating, I think. When QVC showed a promo for Querio, one of the women described it as 'fun' and maybe that is what it all boils down to, although, as I say, I haven't watched it. BTW, is QVC really all that expensive?
I'd say so yes. You can get an occasional bargain and items on clearance can be cheap, but on the whole they deal with high end, high priced merchandise add on the postage, especially if you're someone who buys multiple items from them on a regular basis and it's not the most cost effective place to shop.

I'd say so yes. You can get an occasional bargain and items on clearance can be cheap, but on the whole they deal with high end, high priced merchandise add on the postage, especially if you're someone who buys multiple items from them on a regular basis and it's not the most cost effective place to shop.
The p and p is a bit much, especially if you live outside the UK.

I could never use a roller, tried once and more paint on me. I had no problem getting up a ladder and painting the ceiling. Cannot remember for sure, perhaps I was 10? I was given a paint brush and told to help undercoat my granny's inside door, the one in the hall behind the front door. It just seemed natural to me.

My wife died in 2021. I was particularly emotionally reliant on her, and in many ways for practical things, too. She was a senior NHS nurse manager and very much things had to be done her (Matron's) way, - including domestically at home. So like most men in that position, it was best to let her get on with it - as whenever I did do a job that she normally did, it was never right and she usually then re-did it! Since her death, I obviously have to do everything around the house and look after three dogs at the same time. But I cope and I was determined to cope.
My partner's mother is 85 and her husband died about five years ago. There IS an example of a relationship where he did absolutely everything for her. Every domestic task at home he did. Every practical task in general he did. He was her emotional rock also. As a result, she is completely hopeless, both emotionally and in practical terms without him, and it is my poor, unfortunate partner who now has had to take on his role at the age of 63. Hence, it is difficult to generalise on which sex, post a bereavement, finds it more difficult to cope, or cope at all. It varies from case to case.

Latest posts

Back