Emu tsv 22/09/2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have been vegetarian for nearly 30 years, and do work for animal rights. I do acknowledge, simultaneously, that in some cases it may be more practical to wear leather, as opposed to faux leather. I am extremely thin - mum calls it "no meat on the bones" - so I do know these sheepskin boots would provide me with the warmth I need. Many companies who produce copies of these boots treat the animals with more neglect and abuse, than companies like Emu and Ugg. I just cannot, in all conscience, allow myself to buy a pair of these boots. For me, it would be a bit like wearing the animal and I would feel so, so guilty each time I wore them, it just wouldn't be worth it, emotionally, for me. These are my personal feelings, and I can understand why people would wear them, for the benefits they offer.

I have been vegetarian for nearly 30 years, and do work for animal rights. I do acknowledge, simultaneously, that in some cases it may be more practical to wear leather, as opposed to faux leather. I am extremely thin - mum calls it "no meat on the bones" - so I do know these sheepskin boots would provide me with the warmth I need. Many companies who produce copies of these boots treat the animals with more neglect and abuse, than companies like Emu and Ugg. I just cannot, in all conscience, allow myself to buy a pair of these boots. For me, it would be a bit like wearing the animal and I would feel so, so guilty each time I wore them, it just wouldn't be worth it, emotionally, for me. These are my personal feelings, and I can understand why people would wear them, for the benefits they offer.
I'm a vegetarian myself louise66 and understand your feelings very well, but when I tried on the very warm EMU boots last winter, that was bitterly cold, I was amazed at how good they were, so yes, I'm not as good as I used to be, but still remain meat-free. I'm not perfect I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a new pair of Stinger Hi's at the OTO price from the 10pm hour. Wanted some black ones and I missed out on the TSV in black so the decision was made for me but I am happy :grin:

I watched a bit of the presentation, more because there wasn't anything else I fancied watching on TV. I think it was JF who was presenting and she asked how hardwearing the boots were and the presenter said that she had her first boots for at least 18 months. Eighteen months!

Well some of my shoes are older than she is, but it got me thinking. I can at least still take my shoes in for repair when the soles or heels are worn down, but it doesn't look as if you can do that with these type of boots, so if someone is heavy on their shoes then the sole could wear down really quickly. So you pay between GBP100 - GBP300 for a pair of boots that may last about a year or so and then you can't wear them because the sole is too worn down and makes you walk badly.

OK any fool can be cold, and I know that cold feet in Winter is horrible, but when people are buying slankets so they can turn off or down their heating, does it really make sense to buy boots that are only going to last a short time and cost such a lot?

Yes everyone makes their own decisions, but for me its just another reason not to buy them.

I bought a pair of Merrell Yarras and I know I will not be able to resole them (Because I checked with the heelbar) but they were a really good price and I should be able to get them revealed. Love them.
I was tempted by the TSV.

I bought a pair of Merrell Yarras and I know I will not be able to resole them (Because I checked with the heelbar) but they were a really good price and I should be able to get them revealed. Love them.
I was tempted by the TSV.

More often than not its the heels that need replacing first. So if you can get them reheeled then at least you will have them for longer. I can remember buying those little metal crescents in Woolworths and putting them onto the part of the heel that has worn down.

Of course these days its changed and by not preserving items, it just makes more money for the companies and less in our pocket.

when I bough my first emus the full sheepskin one in tall lasted me three winters at least. with my uggs I have had them 3 winters and still going strong. they have a tiny hole but I buy the bigger sizes now to eliminate this. I will get anather two winters with these so five winters for £160. and I think they will last longer. becuase they are so comfy and warm you will wear them more than anything else. uggs are a good luxury brand all round. very cosy, beautifully cut and made to last.

I think emus were better made initially but the newer one lasted me a few weeks as the sole is not as good wearing at the back. ugg boots are a top brand and are not there by accident. there is always a queue to get in the shops. and if you buy from a cheaper authorised seller you can save a huge sum. I wear my uggs 8/9 months of the year so they get a battering

Both my EMU and UGG boots still look in good condition and I have had them for years. I dont mind spending a decent amount if they are going to last.

I've received mine today! Quite pleased with them I must say. I've always bought cheapo versions of these sort of boots and I have to say there's no comparison in quality, comfort and warmth. They're a little tight at my big toe but I'm going to wear them around the house for a few days to see if they do "bed in" everyone says, I like the narrow structured fit as I have narrow feet and often these type of boots (well, the cheapo ones I've bought) flap around my feet and legs.

Overall it's the fact that they're waterproof makes it for me, as I wouldn't have bothered spending such an amount of money on boots if they weren't.

Have yours arrived Fallen Angel?

Last edited:
I opened mine too, and yes, they are tight but not narrow, they remind me of a builder boots with reinforced toe.
Also, the back of the boot slips off the heel when walking, not sure. My feet felt so much better when I changed back into my shoes.

I opened mine too, and yes, they are tight but not narrow, they remind me of a builder boots with reinforced toe.
Also, the back of the boot slips off the heel when walking, not sure. My feet felt so much better when I changed back into my shoes.

Hmm yes, I have to admit when I took them off last night I felt as if I was walking on air and my feet were free! Seems a lot of reviewers feel they're tight at the toe too. I've taken the insoles out this morning as apparently wearing them without for a few hours helps then to bed in more. We'll see, it's the morning after and I'm not as excited with them as I was yesterday.

I feel they have to be the better size for me (I'm 7.5 so bought a 7) as if I'd have bought the 8 they'd have really been slipping off my heel at the back, so I do hope the toe area becomes a bit more comfortable.

Last edited:
looks as if they have a reinforced toe so not as forgiving as the softer design. the heel is always odd with emu's. just keep wearing them and see how they are

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the colour transfers as well (the black)

Last edited:
Also got mine yesterday, these are my first Emu Boots. I'm a 51/2 and got confused what size to go for so went for the 6. First impressions are good, think the 5's would have been way to tight. Really need to walk outside in them first, but not in this warm weather we are having here. Like the narrow fit, so they don't make your feet look huge.

Let's face it and imho emu boots will never look glamourous, I bought a pair last year and although they are nice and warm ... when I wear them... they feel like the boxes that they came in... big and awkward looking. Mind I do love my emu slippers....

I've given mine a full 2 days bedding in, yes the sheepskin has bedded and they are more roomy, but however I look at it my big toe is still pressing on the reinforced toe cap. I'm sure in the original styles it would've been fine as they are forgiving.

Latest posts

Back