Jill Franks/Simon Brown

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i understand that they shouldn't be and cannot be forced to eat it, but if you are there to work you'd make an effort to at least try what ever is made.
1 french fry won't hurt, no one expects them to eat the whole plate, unless of course its charlie brooke, then he'll eat the entire display lol.
Jill and Jackie just take it way too far with all that healthy nonsense!
Q has many presenters now so if they don't want to do food ones, they could easily be replaced by people who will test the food… after all technically they are glorified product testers, testing it on live TV trying to persuade us to buy it.

Going on all the above, if anyone employed as a presenter where they're expected to comment on the goods being sold is either unable to/doesn't want to for whatever reason/for whatever reason, refuses to let alcohol touch their lips:
1. They're not suitable for a food or drink show where alcohol is in the list of ingredients.
2. They're also not suitable for a beauty show that has alcohol in whatever form in the list of ingredients.
It becomes a farce otherwise with a presenter unable to describe the taste of food or drink or the feel of the beauty product so we the customer can make informed choices. It's up to the producer to employ a suitable presenter because I for one don't want to watch presenters sniffing food or drink or even worse, spitting out live on air.

Going on all the above, if anyone employed as a presenter where they're expected to comment on the goods being sold is either unable to/doesn't want to for whatever reason/for whatever reason, refuses to let alcohol touch their lips:
1. They're not suitable for a food or drink show where alcohol is in the list of ingredients.
2. They're also not suitable for a beauty show that has alcohol in whatever form in the list of ingredients.
It becomes a farce otherwise with a presenter unable to describe the taste of food or drink or the feel of the beauty product so we the customer can make informed choices. It's up to the producer to employ a suitable presenter because I for one don't want to watch presenters sniffing food or drink or even worse, spitting out live on air.

I do in parts agree but do we actually believe the presenters are being honest when they say the food tastes "Amazing" or they couldn't live without a beauty product............... There just trying to sell the products by any means possible, so will say what we want to here or are being told to say to clinch a sale.

At least the presenters that don't like alcohol state it on air and aren't hurting anyone, unlike Julia who's a vegetarian but is happy to wear and appear on air with Basso !!!!!

It depends why she's vegetarian - it may not be for "moral" reasons, in which case the Basso thing would make sense. I've seen the question posed on FB and various forums many times, and although she has a right to keep her reasoning private I really think she should explain it as she's asking us to trust her and her judgement.

See the thing is we do not know why?

Could there be alcoholism in her family, did she grow up with a violent alcoholic parent????

My grandfather who to me was the most wonderful man(he had a stroke in his early 50s). My aunt refused to taste alcohol and hated being around anyone who was having a drink even social one glass. It was not until I was in my late teens and my grandfather long dead I found out he was a violent drunk who used to beat the crap out of my granny.

My mother is the same for similar reasons. Whatever the reason here I think we're seeing a significant problem around food and drink with an attempt to hide it under a blanket of "health, nutrition and exercise". A scrawny physique is not healthy. Point blank refusing to taste something and spitting something out on air is not normal, rational behaviour. There's a very fine line between healthy habits and obsession.

Perhaps Julia just doesn't like meat! I do many things for my work that are against my principles. I have to teach very religious people when I am a through and through atheist. However, these are decent people who respect my choice and I respect theirs - and never the twain shall meet! I am also an adult and professional so I just get on with it. I have a faux DB and I use toiletries tested on animals, even though I try my best not to. I love animals and would do anything to stop their suffering but sometimes needs must, and if I have to turn a blind eye sometimes then so be it. I don't think Julia needs to justify anything to anyone!

It was said on Fb yesterday than Anna Cookson left Qvc because she refused to work with Basso, im sure there was more to it than just that , but if that is true Well Done Anna :mysmilie_3:

It was said on Fb yesterday than Anna Cookson left Qvc because she refused to work with Basso, im sure there was more to it than just that , but if that is true Well Done Anna :mysmilie_3:

Of course there is more to it than that. I don't think anyone would willingly ditch QVC to be a freelance newsreader on BBC London 94.9. Presenters shouldn't be allowed to indulge airs and graces about who they will / not work with. I dislike Lulu however if I were working at QVC I may have to work with her. People in all jobs have to work with people they don't like. Same in shops / offices / call centres. It's just how it is.

Of course there is more to it than that. I don't think anyone would willingly ditch QVC to be a freelance newsreader on BBC London 94.9. Presenters shouldn't be allowed to indulge airs and graces about who they will / not work with. I dislike Lulu however if I were working at QVC I may have to work with her. People in all jobs have to work with people they don't like. Same in shops / offices / call centres. It's just how it is.

Of course but for Anna mayb that was the final straw being put on air with that man , by the sounds of it shes doing incredibly well , so I doubt she has any regrets leaving Qvc at all.

It depends why she's vegetarian - it may not be for "moral" reasons, in which case the Basso thing would make sense. I've seen the question posed on FB and various forums many times, and although she has a right to keep her reasoning private I really think she should explain it as she's asking us to trust her and her judgement.

She said many years ago it was for health reasons, she believed it was better for some of her family. Her son had allergies and Chris has arthritis. She was a completely different person back then though.

Anna is a vegetarian and is obviously someone with principles, and I admire her enormously for taking this stand. It doesn't have to be any more than just Basso - it certainly wouldn't need to be more than that if it was me. I would never do any job that needed me to deal with anyone who was in any way connected to animal cruelty. Unfortunately there are many people who claim to care about animals, but continue to do jobs that compromise their "principles", and to use products that have caused animal suffering simply because they want to use those products. Having spent my entire life rescuing animals that have, in many cases, been treated appallingly, I have come into contact with many such people. It must be nice to be able to go through life with such convenient principles and such a convenient "love" for other creatures. I couldn't live with myself. Anna has now rocketed in my estimation for her guts and commitment.

Well, I try my best. Most of my household/toiletry products are leaping bunny certified but when I can't always get to the stores that sell them and am desperate, I buy from the supermarket. The point I was trying to make is that it is not always practical/realistic to stick to one's principles. If you are able to do so then well done you. I still maintain that Julia does not have to justify doing her job to anyone.

Looking at Morrissey's insane ravings in the Daily Mail (online) today I am afraid some who have perfectly valid, sincere and compassionate beliefs can come across as extremist, intolerant lunatics. How do they expect to be taken seriously?

I've read all the above comments with interest.

I wonder how I've survived this life so far, - I've never had strong 'principles' about anything, never knowingly upset anybody, never made 'a show of myself' i.e. spitting in public, don't consider myself to be politically correct in any shape or form, and remember the times when we had to be grateful for getting anything to eat at all - whatever shape or form it came in. 'Principles' was an unaffordable luxury. Its also interesting that there is almost an epidemic now of wheat intolerant sufferers, something unheard of 30 odd years ago. So much for this modern world.

Looking at Morrissey's insane ravings in the Daily Mail (online) today I am afraid some who have perfectly valid, sincere and compassionate beliefs can come across as extremist, intolerant lunatics. How do they expect to be taken seriously?

I don't actually know who Morrissey is (other, apparently, than one of those odd people who think they only need one name), and I stopped reading the papers because they made me want to slit my wrists, so I can't comment on this specifically. What I would say, though, is that people have opinions of both extremes on every issue, and whether they're considered to be extremist, intolerant lunatics or rational, tolerant sane people will depend entirely on the personal views of the person reading what they say. Because I think someone is the former doesn't actually make them so, and vice versa, it's just personal opinion, and everyone I think is a nutter will be taken seriously by someone else. Whatever this Morrissey was talking about, there'll be people who agree with him. There was never a truer saying than "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". For this reason, if you really care about something I think you have to speak and act on your principles without giving a damn what people think and in the full expectation that some people will think you're an extremist and some people won't, whatever it is that you care about and whatever your view on it is.

'Principles' was an unaffordable luxury. Its also interesting that there is almost an epidemic now of wheat intolerant sufferers, something unheard of 30 odd years ago. So much for this modern world.

It's my belief that principles are never unaffordable, it's just whether or not you're prepared to pay what may be a high price for them.

Morrissey is a singer who was lead singer in the Smiths in the 1980's, famous for always being miserable. In the paper yesterday he likened eating meat to paedophilia.

I respect the views of others and free choice. I am irritated when some are very judgemental and critical of those who may not agree with them or be able-for whatever reason-to live their lives in the same way. I have some really strong opinions on certain matters but it is best to keep them to myself sometimes. I respect the choices of others as long as their choices don't affect me, and my family.

Morrissey is a singer who was lead singer in the Smiths in the 1980's, famous for always being miserable. In the paper yesterday he likened eating meat to paedophilia.

I respect the views of others and free choice. I am irritated when some are very judgemental and critical of those who may not agree with them or be able-for whatever reason-to live their lives in the same way. I have some really strong opinions on certain matters but it is best to keep them to myself sometimes. I respect the choices of others as long as their choices don't affect me, and my family.

Very eloquently put WG. I couldn't agree more. Live and let live, unless it affects you and yours directly - this is also how I survive this crazy world!

It's my belief that principles are never unaffordable, it's just whether or not you're prepared to pay what may be a high price for them.

It would be nice if this were true. Jamie Oliver (who can well afford to stick to whatever principles he has) was trying to persuade people to buy free range eggs instead of the cheaper battery eggs and succeeded with everyone except a young single mum who said she couldn't afford to pay any more. Having been in that situation myself, I have every sympathy with her. I'm now enjoying the luxury of farm-fresh eggs - and to someone who's been in that situation, believe me it is a luxury. Yes, some will say that she could cut down on other things, but sometimes (and I've always watched my pennies, making do and wasting nothing), it just isn't possible. But it's always easy to be judgmental.

Morissey is a total hypocrite. He is known to get up to all sorts of weird things in private.

Latest posts

Back