Death of the Dictionary.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Dear QVC Presenters and guests,

Please note that "volumous" is not a recognised word in the English language. The word you are looking for is volumINous. Please use it.

Mine is the misuse of literally. Apparently things regularly "literally fly out" of their warehouses. That must be alarming for the warehouse staff - not to mention nearby residents!.

When it comes to grammar, it annoys me when people cannot get even the most simple things right. It is a bugbear of mine. Ali Young gets on my nerves, when she pronounces EDP as eau de parfam. The spelling is parfUM. Even some of the presenters pronounce it like her. Does she think it is the guests who are pronouncing it wrongly? She seems adamant in doing her own thing.

I am with Ali on this. The "Parfum" in EDP is the French pronunciation, which, when I was at school was pronounced "ParfAM". If I am wrong on this I blame my A level french teacher.

I was taught to say "parFAM" at school too...of course that was such a long time ago it may have changed now...:thinking:

Misuse of "instantaneously" is another one.

And losing the 'ly' at the ends of some words - for example, "It works marvellous". Grrr.

"There is queues on the phones."

Whenever someone says "less than one hundred", I do always say "fewer than" to the TV but am probably being a bit picky cos it is in common parlance.

(I know it is not a grammatical issue, but I also say schedule, as in sh-edule, whenever anyone says skedule which I really dislike. Think I am in a rapidly shrinking minority there though.)

The rot set in during the early 70's with the advent of comprehensive education and the demise of the grammar schools. No-one aspires to better things anymore.

Fabrications.................erm fabrics, never heard of that word have they?

Fabrications.................erm fabrics, never heard of that word have they?

I thought I'd posted a comment about this but I must have failed to actually post it. Yep fabrication and "colouration". I have a half memory that Claire is the biggest offender in this.

Latest posts

Back