Death of the Dictionary.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"Price point". What's wrong with "price"? Are you implying the price is round about what you say it is but we may be lucky enough to get it a teensy bit cheaper? Please don't do that if the actual price is what you're saying it is. Call it what it is - a price. Plain English rules ok.

Such a cathartic thread! I feel I have got it all off my chest without actually saying anything!

I blame Cara Tignanello for this, since she said it, they are all saying it.

Lottie who presented KVZ bags and defected to IW was another fan of fabrication, I used to switch channels as soon as she said it.

Did anyone else hear Jilly pronouncing khaki like car key on the Yong Kim show last night? Another odd pronunciation is Julia's pass tell which always comes across as a bit affected to me.

I like so many of the posts on this thread, I'm so picky!

My gripe is Bol-ER-o, a shrug /small cardi. They pronounce it Bol-air-o which is music by Ravel.

To be fair the dictionary states that it can be pronounced either way, the word meaning both things (a jacket and a type of music) as well as the dance style.

[buh-lair-oh, boh-]
noun, plural bo·le·ros.
1. a lively Spanish dance in triple meter.
2. the music for this dance.
3. a jacket ending above or at the waistline, with or without collar, lapel, and sleeves, worn open in front.

Lottie who presented KVZ bags and defected to IW was another fan of fabrication, I used to switch channels as soon as she said it.

Did anyone else hear Jilly pronouncing khaki like car key on the Yong Kim show last night? Another odd pronunciation is Julia's pass tell which always comes across as a bit affected to me.

I like so many of the posts on this thread, I'm so picky!

That's how I pronounce khaki :blush:

The way the Americans pronounce it reminds me of our slang for a pile of s...... ;)

Haven't heard Jilly saying khaki but I pronounce it "car key" with the emphasis on "car". The dictionary agrees with me. Was she emphasising both syllables the same as in "CAH KEE" vs my "CAHki"?

Not a word, but...

"This captured the imagination of a real problem solving thing" - Alison Young in 6pm beauty show.

Eh?

Remember the Ojon guy who kept telling us to 'emulsify' the xxxx between our hands?
He meant 'melt'.

Emulsifying is blending an oil and a water-based liquid together, so that they don't settle out. Like mayonnaise. Hard to do with your fingers!

Haven't heard Jilly saying khaki but I pronounce it "car key" with the emphasis on "car". The dictionary agrees with me. Was she emphasising both syllables the same as in "CAH KEE" vs my "CAHki"?

I think she was emphasising both syllables and the second syllable was pronounced as key whereas I have only heard it pronounced like the ki at the start of kid. Your CAHki sounds like the way I would pronounce it.

Even more better", annoyed me today when Scott said it on gems, also "15 last chances", there is only one last chance, you may have 15 remaining chances..

Just a couple of my most annoying sayings on shopping tv channels.

Inge

"Also as well ...". I first heard Jill Franks say this and it seems to have spread to one or two others.

I've come up with more!

"As I speak" - this just annoys me for some reason, especially from JF.

"There is queues on the phones" - Alison Young.

And not so much incorrect, but I had to laugh last night during the Acer presentation when Charlie said "We have interest on the phones." What is that supposed to mean exactly? Did someone phone to ask a question? Clearly it wasn't flying off the shelves as they had hoped. It would have been best to just say nothing.

In any situation the phrase "if I'm honest" really bugs me since it implies that, on the whole, the speaker isn't honest! If people thought about the nonsense they're saying maybe they'd say something else or shut TF up!

Latest posts

Back