Pipa engaged!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Some things are just meant to be. The very first time I met my late husband I went home and told my parents I`d met the man I was going to marry. My Mother said " don`t be daft girl " and tutted her disapproval of my statement, especially as I was just 16. Two years later I married him and we were married for 32 years before he died.
I reckon the Ancient Greeks had the right idea. They believed the Earth was originally inhabited by 2 headed beings who shared the same heart , some consisted of a male and female halves, some consisted of 2 male halves, some of 2 female halves. These beings angered the Gods so the Gods smote them apart and sent each half to wander the Earth for eternity to search for their kindred soul. That`s where the saying " other half " originates from. I reckon a few of them got it wrong a few times until they eventually found their match and I reckon that still applies today.

Some things are just meant to be. The very first time I met my late husband I went home and told my parents I`d met the man I was going to marry. My Mother said " don`t be daft girl " and tutted her disapproval of my statement, especially as I was just 16. Two years later I married him and we were married for 32 years before he died.
I reckon the Ancient Greeks had the right idea. They believed the Earth was originally inhabited by 2 headed beings who shared the same heart , some consisted of a male and female halves, some consisted of 2 male halves, some of 2 female halves. These beings angered the Gods so the Gods smote them apart and sent each half to wander the Earth for eternity to search for their kindred soul. That`s where the saying " other half " originates from. I reckon a few of them got it wrong a few times until they eventually found their match and I reckon that still applies today.

lovely story x

It is still a bit weird to see her on screen with long dark hair! It looks good but I am just so used to seeing her with the short spikey style she used to have!

I had been finding it very difficult to reconcile the individual, quirky Pipa with the new, ordinary, just-like-every-other-middle-class-mum-at-the-school-gates Pipa. Now it seems that the incarnations and transformation may have been due to pleasing her men. Quirky Pipa matched what you'd expect her first musician husband to want - don't know what husband number two does, but I'll bet it's much more down to earth. I'm speculating here, of course, but I'm now wondering who the real Pipa is? If she was with this chap before she met hubby number one, was she ever really the Pipa we thought she was, or was that the Pipa she thought she needed to be?

Last edited:
i suspect pippa has grown up i like her new hair. it looks less quirky and more sophisticated. shes lucky that she has such lovely hair that looks good longer

I had been finding it very difficult to reconcile the individual, quirky Pipa with the new, ordinary, just-like-every-other-middle-class-mum-at-the-school-gates Pipa. Now it seems that the incarnations and transformation may have been due to pleasing her men. Quirky Pipa matched what you'd expect her first musician husband to want - don't know what husband number two does, but I'll bet it's much more down to earth. I'm speculating here, of course, but I'm now wondering who the real Pipa is? If she was with this chap before she met hubby number one, was she ever really the Pipa we thought she was, or was that the Pipa she thought she needed to be?

What a meaningful post, Scout. It makes total sense to me. Personally, I don't need a partner, to be whole, I am my own person. I do not adjust my personality, consequently, to suit anyone. imo, this is how it should be. To do anything else indicates, I feel, some form of insecurity.

First time round, second time round - they seem to be happy and that's what counts. Congratulations to both.

Personally, I detest the expression 'my other half' as if you could not be 'complete' without someone else!

Personally, I detest the expression 'my other half' as if you could not be 'complete' without someone else!

Personally I like the expression. It's not that you can't be complete without a partner but once you have become a couple you are now half of a new whole.

I usually say hubby but he is my other half ...my soul mate :heart: 28 years married ..29 years together and counting :mysmilie_59:....ups and downs like any couple ....just been very lucky ...he makes me laugh ....we do have some great laughs together ...and some tetchy times too .....he's been my absolute rock ...why i i lost my parents and sister and uncle recently ...my auntie too who died just before my mum and dad ...they died nine weeks apart....my hubby has been through everything with me ...my Mums anniversary Thursday ....without hubby i couldn't get through it all ....and my boys but they need their own lives and partners ...hubby will always be there as much as humanly possible of course ....he makes my reason for breathing basically as do my boys of course .....I don't have many family left ....and the ones i do have don't want to know so this makes my marriage even more important and i really feel for anybody who has lost this espeacially at times of bereavment

I meant to mention mum and dad passed 12 years ago ..my sis 14 and my auntie just before Mum and Dad.....my colleague asked me how i as still standing and I said ....Hubby ...and boys ....(my youngest son lost his friend in a fire age just 11 ..4 months after my sister died ...that was an impact on many people i still can't get my head around some cannot imagine how his Mum still feels ...18 months of bereavements ...a child that my son played with everyday ....writing this i feel I am beyond lucky to have the marriage i have .....

I feel the same, and it's an expression I would never use. At the times in my life when I have been single I have always felt perfectly complete and happy alone, with absolutely no need for a partner to have a full and complete life. If a man is part of my life I consider that a bonus, a lucky extra, but it certainly would never be something I had to have to live a happy life. On the other hand, without animals I would be utterly miserable, with or without a human partner.

Last edited:
Have to say I disagree with those that don't like the term other half, for me, many years ago I lost the love of my life it ripped me apart, I knew from the second I saw him and him me, he had told all his friends and colleagues, not me at the time lol,immediately we were getting married, a connection so ridiculously strong it was obvious to all he was my missing half, I had thought I was in love before, was engaged but the difference when you meet the ONE is like nothing else a feeling hard to explain but it nearly knocks you off your feet. I won't bore you with the terrible story as it really is tragic but I always knew I would never be whole with anyone else and funnily enough it wasn't until I accepted that I meant someone else, yes I'm gonna say mr 2nd best, I know that's awful but I'm fully committed but it's not the all consuming love & connection, this saga spanned about 20 years. I thing it's great those who don't believe they are whole with someone else and are whole on their own but and it's just my opinion, I don't really believe it, human nature is being a couple it's what we programmed to do but then I admire people that are strong enough to be on their own as I struggled with that regardless how many animals I have (loads)

May, your story is so sad with all the loss you have had and in such a short space of time, I feel you are so right that you are lucky to have such a good marriage and someone who truly shares your life to help you through it, I see many abuse this fact they don't recognise how great their hubby is they confuse the annoying things men do and will always do no matter how much they nag them with the real strength of men, to be there and hold you up and keep you going when all around you falls apart!

I feel the same, and it's an expression I would never use. At the times in my life when I have been single I have always felt perfectly complete and happy alone, with absolutely no need for a partner to have a full and complete life. If a man is part of my life I consider that a bonus, a lucky extra, but it certainly would never be something I had to have to live a happy life. On the other hand, without animals I would be utterly miserable, with or without a human partner.

Our doggies have been a delight down the years ....i understand where you are coming from totally.

Also don't most women take the opportunity to freshen up their look and have a new start when a relationship breaks down. Think it's a sign of confidence embracing a new life not a sign that they change their look to please the new man in their life.

Have to say I disagree with those that don't like the term other half, for me, many years ago I lost the love of my life it ripped me apart, I knew from the second I saw him and him me, he had told all his friends and colleagues, not me at the time lol,immediately we were getting married, a connection so ridiculously strong it was obvious to all he was my missing half, I had thought I was in love before, was engaged but the difference when you meet the ONE is like nothing else a feeling hard to explain but it nearly knocks you off your feet. I won't bore you with the terrible story as it really is tragic but I always knew I would never be whole with anyone else and funnily enough it wasn't until I accepted that I meant someone else, yes I'm gonna say mr 2nd best, I know that's awful but I'm fully committed but it's not the all consuming love & connection, this saga spanned about 20 years. I thing it's great those who don't believe they are whole with someone else and are whole on their own but and it's just my opinion, I don't really believe it, human nature is being a couple it's what we programmed to do but then I admire people that are strong enough to be on their own as I struggled with that regardless how many animals I have (loads)

May, your story is so sad with all the loss you have had and in such a short space of time, I feel you are so right that you are lucky to have such a good marriage and someone who truly shares your life to help you through it, I see many abuse this fact they don't recognise how great their hubby is they confuse the annoying things men do and will always do no matter how much they nag them with the real strength of men, to be there and hold you up and keep you going when all around you falls apart!

JW2 thank you so much for your kind words and I'm truly sorry for your sadness in your life i really hope that any happy memories you can treasure can keep pushing you forward in life and bring many smiles to your heart ...I could say so much more ...I believe animals are part of the soul mate gift we are given too ....I don't want to rattle on but I mean everything i have said x

I believe animals are part of the soul mate gift we are given too ....

Me too. I always say that my animals feed my soul - but people usually look at me as if I'm some kind of nutter. I don't care - if they don't relate to that it's their loss in life!

Latest posts

Back