Just when you think they can't sink any lower

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As much as what has happened in Paris is really horrible, I'm not sure I want QVC to be marking it. Should they be marking other terrible things happening in the world too, like high school shootings and people dying in the refugee crisis. If I'm really honest, and I feel awful admitting to it, but I sometimes watch QVC to get away from the news and all the horrible things happening in the world.

Don't feel awful about that LLE, we live in a world of 24 hour news and it's perfectly natural to have a want and need to get away from it. I will openly admit I just listen to the headlines on the radio in the morning and then turn off, the continuous pontification over small pieces of information to fill hours of news coverage doesn't add anything, and it doesn't mean you feel any less for switching off.

But remember the backlash the queen got when they tried not to mention the death of Diana. I know the circumstances are different but they should have done the same as Amazon on the website with the flag and "solidarity" and they should have done it quickly. I don't think any of the presenters or guests should have mentioned it air, though.

Yes l agree! There is no need to mention it on air but just put something on the website quickly, and not after they have probably read all our posts of disgust on here.

I too watch shopping channels to get away from the 24 hour repetitive news cycles especially when there is some sort of crisis.I have no problem with anyone marking the event say on the web site but not specifically to sell an item of jewellery.Its a step too far.

I don't watch the news myself, I find it too upsetting but it was hard to avoid this particular devastation and of course my husband mentioned it when I asked him what was going on, he watches the news but knows not to tell me any of it especially were animal cruelty is concerned, it's the same with the newspapers, so I understand what you mean when you don't expect to hear it on a shopping channel, especially were it's said with the sole purpose to make a sale, so never apologise for not wanting to see it on tv, I'm exactly the same.

They have marked other events on air in the past. I remember just after 9/11, they said they were taking a break because of the "current international crisis".

I have to say though, I never did like that Alison O much. Really, if you have half a brain cell, you don't need to be told not to use an event like this to sell products, although QVC should really have briefed people first anyway.

Well to be honest I reckon it probably arrived AFTER your comment................. I didn't notice it on my first visit to see the offending video but could have missed it.

PS and the offending video has been removed now.

I was on and off the website all evening and I never noticed the banner nor today, is it still there and do I need a magnifying glass

Watching the video, I can't hear DF agreeing to the comments Alison made.

I couldn't hear her either and in my opinion her not even acknowledging the tragedy but prattling on about how good value and how many sold/left is worse that AOR who I feel may have spoken without thinking. No excuse I know but DF sell sell sell was beyond belief.

I see EBay are donating 5% of this weekends European sales to the Paris situation. As I don't know if any actual charity yet set up I'm not entirely sure how it is being administrated but at least the heart it there. And Q think they are so superior to the likes of EBay and Amazon.

I was on and off the website all evening and I never noticed the banner nor today, is it still there and do I need a magnifying glass

Yes it about 5mm tall, pink and just above the TSV pic on the homepage and same place all other pages. It is not on Q Community, nor their FB page, so if you were on those you might have missed it. I didn't spot until late last night.

I reckon that as a sop they'll suddenly come out with something like "5% of the profits from this item are going to the Paris fund" to show how noble they are. Not.

Yes that would be about right. 5% from the item nobody bought as we were all disgusted by the sales pitch!

I thought after the Steve Whatley fiasco there would have been strict rules in place about using a tradgedy to flog their items. It was also a Diamonique item Whatley was flogging a blatant copy of Princess Diana's engagement ring.

I would have thought better of Alison O'Reilly than to say this. If you check out the video for the angel wing on the recent on air items, you can hear her say it for yourself. I thought she wasn't feeling very comfortable saying it, to be honest.

By the way - if you want to see the TSV presentation - there is a video from Keeley's show with Catherine Huntley already up on the website.
Can't stand the woman.

Goodness that is disgusting IMHO ...that is the lowest ...exploiting such a recent atrocity ....it is actually sick really ...I love Angel feathers don't get me wrong ....but that is bad .......can't stop thinking of those poor souls and the terror they must have felt ...God Bless them all

Yes it about 5mm tall, pink and just above the TSV pic on the homepage and same place all other pages. It is not on Q Community, nor their FB page, so if you were on those you might have missed it. I didn't spot until late last night.

Thank you. I had to look numerous times before I saw it. Pathetic - if they couldn't have done it properly they shouldn't have bothered. I suppose the 10 year olds running the website can't really be blamed.

Firstly may I say hello. I have often read (and laughed out loud) at the threads and comments on here but this is the first time I have posted. I saw the presentation in question and was shocked. I wrote an email of complaint to QVC and have not received a response. I have a feeling that they want to sweep this under the carpet and forget it ever happened but as I know someone who was in Paris at the time of the attacks (they were not seriously hurt thank goodness) I do not feel that is good enough.

Latest posts

Back