Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think you said that in jest - but a lot of people buy gemstones for their beauty and don't know much about them.

Gem Collector have a stone called 'Orpiment' (they spell it, incorrectly, as 'Orphiment').

Orpiment IS asbestos!

Gem Collector sell it in faceted form - meaning some people that like the look of it could set it into a ring or pendant, not knowing that they're setting asbestos.

It's surprising how many toxic stones there are out there (many are safe though until they're ingested as dust).

Galena
Cinnabar
Malachite
Chalcopyrite
Chrysocolla

The most they're likely to do to a human is cause a bit of stomach upset - but if someone was to handle them and then play with one of their pets, etc, then they could potentially be fatal to an animal - particularly Cinnabar or Galena.
However it's spelled, Orpiment is expensive on there. And I know galena is lead-based, but the others I didn't realise. And yes, I did say it in jest, as it is the most 'without thinking too hard' dangerous mineral I know.

I was hoping to ask the experts here about Green Diamonds.

Once I heard Yannii talk about Green diamonds, he said they were Radioactive ☢️.

I have a tiny green diamond in a mixture of other colours. Not concerned, but would love to hear your expertise.

Once I heard Yannii talk about Green diamonds, he said they were Radioactive ☢️.

I have a tiny green diamond in a mixture of other colours. Not concerned, but would love to hear your expertise.

I presume he was talking about them being irradiated (as most coloured Diamonds are other than pink, yellow and 'champagne').

All irradiated stones have been subject to radiation - but the amount of radiation left behind afterwards is only a trace. Nothing to make your finger glow fluorescent yellow.

However, if on the off-chance you did find your finger glowing fluorescent yellow, you could always buy one of those Kimbie Fluorescent Yellow hideous things that Ellis was modelling to complete the look ;)

If he's talking about natural green Diamonds - then they probably form alongside a naturally radioactive mineral underground. Natural green diamonds are ultra rare though - so unless you've got a few million pounds in the bank, you're unlikely to have to worry about coming into contact with one.

Not sure if you've ever been, but if you go to the Natural History Museum in London, and pop up to the gemstones and minerals, there's a rare radioactive mineral on display in there that is in a specially made case that shields the public from its radiation. Its fascinating that those things lurk underground.

It's also how 'irradiation' treatment was thought of / discovered. It was realised that if Gemstones can be coloured by a radioactive mineral growing in close proximity to it underground, then they could replicate that process above ground by subjecting stones to 'forced' radiation by a human process.

Last edited:

There are certain regulations regarding the distribution of irradiated gemstones. Such stones cannot be sold immediately after irradiation. It takes time for radioactivity levels to decrease. Unfortunately, many pieces are treated in developing countries, which do not always adhere to Western standards.

"To avoid this unjustified exposure it has to be ensured that gemstones irradiated by neutrons will not go on sale unless a sufficient decay period has elapsed. This applies especially to the dark blue topaz (trade name "London blue") whose intense colour can only be generated by neutron activation. In this case it is urgently recommended to adhere to the decay period. This can, however, not be guaranteed if such gemstones are purchased from online retailers importing them from abroad"

source: https://www.bfs.de/SharedDocs/FAQs/BfS/EN/ion/ion/gemstones.html

"In Bangkok highly irradiated gemstones were discovered which are being circulated by the hundreds on Asian markets. Many of them are already showing up in finished products in jewelery shops. Tests show that the radiation in some of the stones is more than 50 times the US safety limit. According to medical reports, wearing the jewelery can cause health problems including cancer, because it can destroy white blood cells. (...)

They suppose the stones involved to have been distributed illegally by unscrupulous dealers who used irradiation for colour enhancement without storing them afterwards"

source: https://www.wiseinternational.org/n...mstones-cancer-causing-jewelery-asian-markets

Last edited:
If he's talking about natural green Diamonds - then they probably form alongside a naturally radioactive mineral underground. Natural green diamonds are ultra rare though - so unless you've got a few million pounds in the bank, you're unlikely to have to worry about coming into contact with .

Yanii was selling Aquaiba and talking about his own love of green stones, he said that he loves greens stones and green diamonds but besides being rare they are radioactive too🤷‍♀️.

I do not have any millions in the bank sadly and I thank you for the info, always very grateful to learn 🥰

There are certain regulations regarding the distribution of irradiated gemstones. Such stones cannot be sold immediately after irradiation. It takes time for radioactivity levels to decrease. Unfortunately, many pieces are treated in developing countries, which do not always adhere to Western standards.

"To avoid this unjustified exposure it has to be ensured that gemstones irradiated by neutrons will not go on sale unless a sufficient decay period has elapsed. This applies especially to the dark blue topaz (trade name "London blue") whose intense colour can only be generated by neutron activation. In this case it is urgently recommended to adhere to the decay period. This can, however, not be guaranteed if such gemstones are purchased from online retailers importing them from abroad"

source: https://www.bfs.de/SharedDocs/FAQs/BfS/EN/ion/ion/gemstones.html

"In Bangkok highly irradiated gemstones were discovered which are being circulated by the hundreds on Asian markets. Many of them are already showing up in finished products in jewelery shops. Tests show that the radiation in some of the stones is more than 50 times the US safety limit. According to medical reports, wearing the jewelery can cause health problems including cancer, because it can destroy white blood cells. (...)

They suppose the stones involved to have been distributed illegally by unscrupulous dealers who used irradiation for colour enhancement without storing them afterwards"

source: https://www.wiseinternational.org/n...mstones-cancer-causing-jewelery-asian-markets
Thank you RDF🌹 ❤️

Not sure if you've ever been, but if you go to the Natural History Museum in London, and pop up to the gemstones and minerals, there's a rare radioactive mineral on display in there that is in a specially made case that shields the public from its radiation. Its fascinating that those things lurk underground.
I have, many times over…. Possibly my favourite place to visit whilst London has so much to offer🥰.

I have not bought from Gemporia for some time now, but I saw the most beautiful London Blue Topaz heart pendant and fell in love with it. On the screen it looked amazing, I added it in my basket but not checked it out as I don’t trust Gemporia like I did before. I attach the image and would appreciate your thoughts on it. It is obviously treated, but it’s London Blue from Brazil? Is it a fair price?

Attachments

• 956FCCF6-F4BC-4910-AEB7-835776C83883.jpeg
    956FCCF6-F4BC-4910-AEB7-835776C83883.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Their most "high-end" London Blue Topaz from Brazil is called "Marambaia London Blue Topaz". This heart is called just "London Blue Topaz", so it may be from less famous location. Maybe Brazilian, but not necessarily Marambaia.

London Blue Topaz (from around the world) is not a cheap stone. But is it valuable? I don't know... Its colour is completely artificial. You'll never find this shade in nature.

Their most "high-end" London Blue Topaz from Brazil is called "Marambaia London Blue Topaz". This heart is called just "London Blue Topaz", so it may be from less famous location. Maybe Brazilian, but not necessarily Marambaia.

London Blue Topaz (from around the world) is not a cheap stone. But is it valuable? I don't know... Its colour is completely artificial. You'll never find this shade in nature.
TY For being kind enough to share your expertise, I don’t know if it is Marambaia , but it looked the most magnificent inky blue sparkly large heart cut stone..I am in love with it on the screen, just wanted to know if it is a fair price they asking ?

I have, many times over…. Possibly my favourite place to visit whilst London has so much to offer🥰.

I have not bought from Gemporia for some time now, but I saw the most beautiful London Blue Topaz heart pendant and fell in love with it. On the screen it looked amazing, I added it in my basket but not checked it out as I don’t trust Gemporia like I did before. I attach the image and would appreciate your thoughts on it. It is obviously treated, but it’s London Blue from Brazil? Is it a fair price?
I don't recall seeing London Blue on Gemporia from anywhere other than Brazil - so regardless of whether it has the 'Marambaia' prefix, its highly likely from the same mine.

For an 18ct stone in, presumably under 1 gram of gold, I would say it's on the high side - I think around £100 less would have been a fair price - especially as its set with Zircon rather than Diamond.

BUT.......

If you've got your heart set on it, ask yourself if you'd rather the extra £100 in your pocket - or the pendant.

I love London Blue Topaz - it's one of my favourite stones. Its a nice affordable alternative to Indicolite.

I have no idea.

If you're going to buy it, don't forget to try a discount code GIFT20 to get 20% off.
Thank you so much RDF ❤️🌹..tried to check it out and that code doesn’t apply …The nearest I found is a Swiss blue topaz pendant on Etsy, which is lovely…but it’s not that gorgeous deep inky blue of London Blue topaz. There was one faceted stone from Brazil around £160 too.

I have not bought from Gemporia in ages due to their terrible ethics and didn’t think I would ever again, but this pendant I really really like 🙈. It’s the design too for me .

I hoped to get advice on my purchase 😬… it looked breathtaking in the studio and it is a considered purchase for me for the money. Everything else I looked on the internet is tiny in carat weight and a lot more expensive. I thought it is wise to get the wise word from my forum mates 🥰

Attachments

• 32B6F8A8-5298-480E-BDC3-96353EE0ED95.jpeg
    32B6F8A8-5298-480E-BDC3-96353EE0ED95.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't recall seeing London Blue on Gemporia from anywhere other than Brazil - so regardless of whether it has the 'Marambaia' prefix, its highly likely from the same mine.

For an 18ct stone in, presumably under 1 gram of gold, I would say it's on the high side - I think around £100 less would have been a fair price - especially as its set with Zircon rather than Diamond.

BUT.......

If you've got your heart set on it, ask yourself if you'd rather the extra £100 in your pocket - or the pendant.

I love London Blue Topaz - it's one of my favourite stones. Its a nice affordable alternative to Indicolite.
Thank you TMWNN 🙏

London Blue is one of my favourite stones too, I don’t own Indicolite as what Gemporia offeres is in such tiny sizes and questionable colour.

With your and RoseDF advise I have ordered now as I can’t remember any piece of jewellery on Gemporia that I actually loved so much.

I will post a photo once it’s here, thank you and RDF X

Thank you TMWNN 🙏

London Blue is one of my favourite stones too, I don’t own Indicolite as what Gemporia offeres is in such tiny sizes and questionable colour.

With your and RoseDF advise I have ordered now as I can’t remember any piece of jewellery on Gemporia that I actually loved so much.

I will post a photo once it’s here, thank you and RDF X
A little tip that I've done before.

When Jeff is doing 'load from codes' late at night, ask to see that code.

He'll more than likely do it cheaper with it being late and with less viewers - so phone up and get a price pledge then.

Just make sure it's not on a sale hour otherwise they won't price pledge.

He'll more than likely do it cheaper with it being late and with less viewers - so phone up and get a price pledge then.

Thank you , I am learning so much from you and the forum members ❤️.
What a lovely nifty trick we can all do with, TY TMWNN 🌹

Last edited:
I think you said that in jest - but a lot of people buy gemstones for their beauty and don't know much about them.

Gem Collector have a stone called 'Orpiment' (they spell it, incorrectly, as 'Orphiment').

Orpiment IS asbestos!

Gem Collector sell it in faceted form - meaning some people that like the look of it could set it into a ring or pendant, not knowing that they're setting asbestos.

It's surprising how many toxic stones there are out there (many are safe though until they're ingested as dust).

Galena
Cinnabar
Malachite
Chalcopyrite
Chrysocolla

The most they're likely to do to a human is cause a bit of stomach upset - but if someone was to handle them and then play with one of their pets, etc, then they could potentially be fatal to an animal - particularly Cinnabar or Galena.
How is this possible? How do they get away with it? It's mind boggling what you can learn on here!!

I couldn’t agree more. Was watching gems the other evening and it occurred to me that their sales spiel now has nothing to do with having something pretty to wear and enjoy and all to do with “investment” prospects. I think there’s a place in jewellery collections for all sorts of items from the occasional expensive item to cheap but pretty items. It’s all fine by me as long as I know I’m not being charged for something it’s not. I’ve seen people being advised many times that jewellery from jewellers should never be looked on as an investment. It’s really putting me off watching now to see them trying to scam people into buying items they may not even be able to afford easily. I think they are now aiming some of their marketing at older and maybe vulnerable people who may not even be on internet to compare prices. Despicable.
What really gets to you is the deceit, the 'glossing over' and deliberate ignoring of reality. It's the same as with a brand-new car that decreases in value as you drive off the dealer's forecourt - anyone who knows anything about jewellery (or works in insurance) can tell you that, barring exceptional circumstances, jewellery is almost never an investment in the short term - and may not be an investment in the long term, either. But although I'm the first to joke about it, their continual harping on 'heritage' and handing things on through the family is so out of order, for the simple reason that many people will place reliance on what is told to them by those who present as being 'in the know'. The fact that these people are not 'in the know' never occurs to some of their audience, because presenters are adept at being convincing.

In reality, the presenters know nothing whatsoever about what will happen in the future and are not professional financial advisers, so they should be keeping their mouths tightly shut on the subject. Unless it's something rare that you have the good luck in life to be gifted, buy or inherit, you might have to wait a lifetime for any increase in value and even more likely it may never increase in value, it may diminish or be virtually worthless. The only criteria is to buy a personal piece of jewellery because you love it and will enjoy wearing it, collecting it or gifting it - and that's it. And the presenters who imply otherwise should (if the ASA had any teeth, which seems not to be the case) be called to account. It's because the channel know they won't suffer for misinformation/incorrect implications that makes them deliberately blur the lines.

The producer Katie is not always fair. I don't trust her very much. One night there was a topaz sale. This ring (XQGL60) costed about 23.36 euros, although on the website it costs 20.57 euros. You are able to buy this ring with a discount code. If the discount code gives you 30% off, you can buy the ring for about 14.39/14.40 euros.

I trust Luke and Tom more than Katie. By the way, Luke and Tom (Łukasz & Tomasz) are the "old guard" from Gemporia Polska (now defunct Polish-language TV channel).

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back