Gemporia still sinking

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Once the presenters have made a sale you're on your own. The likelihood is that your jewellery could degrade or break over the next few weeks/months/years. The chances of it becoming a nest egg for your children or yourself is probably less likely than a lottery win. If you have bought something very expensive than possibly it would bring a decent sum at auction - minus all the fees of course.

Once the presenters have made a sale you're on your own. The likelihood is that your jewellery could degrade or break over the next few weeks/months/years. The chances of it becoming a nest egg for your children or yourself is probably less likely than a lottery win. If you have bought something very expensive than possibly it would bring a decent sum at auction - minus all the fees of course.
Heya. You saying that, I remember, in the earlier days of my purchasing from Gems, buying an Ethiopian Opal (it was the 'bee's knees' at the time: before the clearer versions later. I suppose it would be called honey now, but, as usual, I digress). It wasn't expensive, but it broke. It was those 'tramline' ones where the stone is in the middle of parallel shanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
I had a brain fart yesterday and got my stones mixed up.

It is not Orpiment that is asbestos - it is Chrysotile.

Orpiment is a form of arsenic - still toxic.

The point still stands though. Chrysotile has been sold by Gem Collector in faceted form - therefore, people that are fascinated by its beauty, but don't know what it is, could be tempted to set it into jewellery.

Tremolite, Actinolite, Crocidolite and Anthophyllite are also part of the asbestos group of minerals. Gem Collector have definitely sold Tremolite & Actinolite in faceted form - and I'm fairly sure they've sold Anthophyllite too.

The asbestos ones really only pose a risk when they're broken down - but Orpiment is immediately toxic and could potentially kill a pet if it was to lick/swallow the stone.

Yep, I've said this before. They waffle on about 'heirloom pieces' and 'passing down for generations' - but their warranty is only the minimum required in law - just 6 months.

Once that 6 months has passed, Gemporia can rest easy knowing that the burden of proof falls to the customer to prove that it was faulty.

I find it disgraceful that they don't provide a longer guarantee with the more expensive pieces - such as the Loriques or Cavill & Co jewellery.

If they really stood by their products and believed in the quality, they would offer at least a one year warranty - ideally three.

Gemporia love doing price comparisons with Monica Vinader - but they NEVER tell you that Monica Vinader offer a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY with all of their jewellery - compared to Gemporia's pathetic 6 month warranty.

I'd rather pay £50% more at Monica Vinader with the safety net of an extra 4 and a half years warranty cover.

I had a brain fart yesterday and got my stones mixed up.

It is not Orpiment that is asbestos - it is Chrysotile.

Orpiment is a form of arsenic - still toxic.

The point still stands though. Chrysotile has been sold by Gem Collector in faceted form - therefore, people that are fascinated by its beauty, but don't know what it is, could be tempted to set it into jewellery.

Tremolite, Actinolite, Crocidolite and Anthophyllite are also part of the asbestos group of minerals. Gem Collector have definitely sold Tremolite & Actinolite in faceted form - and I'm fairly sure they've sold Anthophyllite too.

The asbestos ones really only pose a risk when they're broken down - but Orpiment is immediately toxic and could potentially kill a pet if it was to lick/swallow the stone.
They still have the Orpiment on GC, and also Anthophyllite there too. The others, at the moment, no. You know I had to look didn't you? :p

I think that TheManWithNoName is the one who should write a post about dangerous minerals and rocks. He has a bigger knowledge and his English is fluent (my level is B1 so I don't feel comfortable when I use this language).

I think that TheManWithNoName is the one who should write a post about dangerous minerals and rocks. He has a bigger knowledge and his English is fluent (my level is B1 so I don't feel comfortable when I use this language).
There's nothing wrong with your English (if you really want a laugh, you should hear my attempts at French - now that IS bad!)

Hope it does sink. Reputable auctioneers told me 3 internally flawless rings I have bought from Gemporia, are not internally flawless, valued at significantly, significantly less than I paid.

EVERYTHING will be valued at significantly less than anyone paid.

If places like Gemporia thought that their jewellery was worth the prices that they say it is worth, then why wouldn't they sell it for that price (especially when they've, allegedly, got money problems).

It makes me laugh when they waffle on with quotes like "Tanzanite is selling for £4,000 per carat in the trade - but you can get it from us for just £150".

So you're going to go through the trouble of designing a ring, getting a setting made, putting a stone that you claim is worth £4000 into it, then paying for the expense of stocking it, paying a presenter to flog it on TV, paying a camera crew to show it, paying a call centre to take the order for it, paying for the broadcasting costs to show it on TV - and then sell it to us for £150 out of the goodness of your heart for shiz and gigglez?

Yeah, righto! Maybe, just maybe, that £4000 stone was a really high end stone with amazing cutting, amazing colour and amazing clarity - and your £150 stone was cut in Jaipur by one-eyed Willie, is windowed, has dubious colour, and inclusions galore - and is actually worth about £20 wholesale value.

If Gemporia thought they could flog Tanzanite for £4000 a carat, they wouldn't need to be a selly-telly channel. They could just sell all their stones for the prices they claim they're worth at gem fairs like Tucson or the Hong Kong Gem Show.

"This is worth £4000 a carat - but we'll struggle financially, make presenters redundant, ditch overnight live shows and drag Steve Bennett back into the business to put his own money in to speed up your refunds - just so that we can flog this to you for £150! Because we're really nice like that".

Do people serious believe that s**t?

Yes, I get that, but what I think is so wrong is when they say a diamond is Internally flawless when it is not 🙁

Yes, I get that, but what I think is so wrong is when they say a diamond is Internally flawless when it is not 🙁
Surely if you have something in writing from the Auctioneers saying this, you could take it up with Gemporia? They are more than fond of encouraging us to share an Auctioneers Valuations - when it is in their favour. I’d like to think that they would comment, and not just use the old fallback to ‘where mounting allows’ to maintain the grading they have given.

I was always very, very suspicious of that claim tbh. If they truly were flawless surely it would be stated clearly on the certificate thingy that came with it? If it wasn’t then it stinks for sure.

This doesn't help you, I know, but have you left a review on Trustpilot saying this? I would also certainly email Gemporia too, even though they'll probably maintain their stance and say the auctioneers are wrong.

I was always very, very suspicious of that claim tbh. If they truly were flawless surely it would be stated clearly on the certificate thingy that came with it? If it wasn’t then it stinks for sure.
This is one of the reasons I always record the show if I buy something from it. Just in case . Didn't used to. Don't trust them enough not to now. I also always use a credit card - if I buy - if they go under then I have some protection because I used the card.

Latest posts

Back