Medical Opinion on beauty products....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vikki

Registered Shopper
I work at a hospital and have inherited my mothers 'let's buy all the beauty products to keep looking younger' gene. I was talking to some of the doctors this week and the conversation turned to beauty products on ageing. Their opinion was that all you need is good food, lots of water and sunblock. Nothing else. As they rightly said, the skin is designed as a non permeable layer to keep organs safe, so whatever cream/oil you put on your face it doesn't really do anything. Hmm kinda burst my bubble.... has it put me off buying products.... not sure.... am I still using all the stuff I have bought from QVC.... hell yes..... makes me wonder in future whether to buy a good cleanser, some sun block and a generic moisturiser and stockpile the rest of the money I usually spend for a face lift in 10 years time, and have botox and peels in between :tongue2:

I wonder if there are any doctors that do buy beauty products from QVC... their reviews would be most interesting.....:cheeky:

I work at a hospital and have inherited my mothers 'let's buy all the beauty products to keep looking younger' gene. I was talking to some of the doctors this week and the conversation turned to beauty products on ageing. Their opinion was that all you need is good food, lots of water and sunblock. Nothing else. As they rightly said, the skin is designed as a non permeable layer to keep organs safe, so whatever cream/oil you put on your face it doesn't really do anything. Hmm kinda burst my bubble.... has it put me off buying products.... not sure.... am I still using all the stuff I have bought from QVC.... hell yes..... makes me wonder in future whether to buy a good cleanser, some sun block and a generic moisturiser and stockpile the rest of the money I usually spend for a face lift in 10 years time, and have botox and peels in between :tongue2:

I wonder if there are any doctors that do buy beauty products from QVC... their reviews would be most interesting.....:cheeky:

While I'm not a doctor and have no knowledge of anything medical other than what I've learned from my mother (she is a dispenser in a pharmacy), I do not believe in any of the wonder lotions and potions available on QVC, or anywhere else for that matter. I use a good cleanser to keep my skin clean and a simple moisturiser, I drink lots of water, and always use sunscreen. And while I'm still only 25, I do feel my skin is in very good condition. Contrast that with my sister, who is a beauty therapist and thus uses pretty much everything available to her - her skin is very bad, and she suffers from breakouts pretty much constantly - she looks older than her 30 years and I feel that if she didn't bombard her poor skin with every kind of futuristic "youth in a bottle" product possible she would find herself enjoying a much healthier complexion.

I think most of the anti aging malarkey is a load of cobblers.

Huge beauty companies such as L'Oreal wouldn't just test on 30 woman for their products if the stuff really worked. Also cosmetic surgeons would be put out of business, the rich and famous would just buy great vats of the latest wonder product and sit in it for a week.

Products only ever reduce the appearance of fine lines, and on a temporary basis too.

A decent cleansing routine, a simple moisturiser, sun screen and keeping the body hydrated is about all anyone can do, apart from inheriting a great set of genes !

its a funny chestnut skincare. i had a nieghbour who was a top dermatologist who married a french woman and he told everyone not to use moisturiser. he had awful dry skin and so did his pretty wife.

anyone who does not use a moisturiser will age incredibly faster than someone who does but it has to suit your skin type etc.

i for one find elemis stuff makes me break out but nivea or superdrug or even avon does not. maybe some cosmetic companies try too hard and put ingredients in that are overactive.
i for one have always looked after my skin and to be honest it does show. but you have to be sensible and not just use something cos its expensive or your friend uses it.

The only requirement legally for something to be called 'anti ageing' is that it has to contain SPF.

I dont belive in all the hype, but know that some creams do make my skin 'feel' better and sometimes look radient, and I consider it a treat pampering myself so yes I do buy them!

Sorry to repeat myself, but this is a post I put on the Mally on Holiday thread, just a couple of hours ago ( I had been complimented on my skin by someone who thought I had marvellous skin for someone in their 40s. I'm 62 btw) ~

"I do look after my skin and always have a high sun factor on my face. I don't use any special brand of skincare though, just whatever's under a tenner in our local Bootsalike. I'm a great believer in feeding skin from within, it is the biggest organ in the body, after all. All the creams in the world won't compensate for a bad diet and plenty of pure cold-pressed oils and keeping hydrated help enormously."

A good diet, plenty of exercise, and keeping well-hydrated are ways to keep young. However, most people in Europe need to sleep more as well.

I have a good diet, do lots of exercise and always guzzled water. . but despite slapping on high-tech beauty creams I noticed if I slept erratically it would show up on my face. . . and no kind of light-reflectors or self-tanners can make you look young if you look knackered!

Sleeping is highly underrated in the West. . most women buy concealers/eye creams to counteract bags/dark circles/lines but find they're still miserable because in reality the only thing that works to keep you looking young is plenty of kip. I read somewhere that Claudia Schieffer sleeps for 12 hours a day and it does her no harm!

i am blessed with horrible skin which i hate, (oily and spotty) im told oily skin will age better than dry skin well i can hope , im not sold on anti ageing potions, im hoping keeping myself hydrated inside and out and eating well and exerciseing will do wonders for me in later years, i do agree with the lack of sleep being a factor i look awfull on not enough sleep!

Overtherainbow, don't worry! I had a skin you described when younger and am happy to say it is now aging well.

there was a programme last year on BBC (i think) where a lot of skincare products were tested. to make a long story very short, it was concluded by researchers that most claims made by laboratories are false and a marketing hype. a top dermatologist (his name seems to evade me) said that the best anti-aging is sunblock, plus hydrating cream. i agree with this plus good cleansing, nutrition, hydration and lifestyle. i wouldn't personally care about creams with long lists of vitamins and other nourishing ingredients. i expect these to come from my diet. i was reading the other day how big intakes of sugar can accelerate the skin's aging process.

I'm 30 and everyone always comments on how good my skin looks. I'm not old enough to comment on the anti ageing side but I have 'a normal' skintype which wouldn't feel nearly as good as it does if it wasn't covered in philosophy daily! Really, it's whatever works for you.
I do believe though that when humans first walked the earth and there was no pollution it wouldn't have mattered but today with pollutants and processed food (all of man's making) it's a diferent story!

I am non smoker, non sunbather and use factor 15 sun screen, have very good skin for my age, (which I never admit to!). I am lucky enough to have good bone structure too, but hell, we are all going to age and it's certainly preferable to an early death. I have lost friends who died far too young, I am sure they would have preferred a longer life and a few wrinkles. There is far too much pressure on women to stay looking young, almost feels that ageing is a crime. I loathe the current obsession with chasing the impossible dream of eternal youth. We are so lucky here in the west, we have clean water, good health care, and so much to be grateful for. Oh dear this is turning into a rant so will stop now

it is good though when one looks much younger and gets a compliment from a lovely gent. they give one a good excuse to kiss them (because one is thankful, of course).

AY recently said whilst flogging sunblock - "that if you never want to buy another anti ageing product ever again just buy and apply sunblock to your face".....puts all her other brands in their place then!

AY recently said whilst flogging sunblock - "that if you never want to buy another anti ageing product ever again just buy and apply sunblock to your face".....puts all her other brands in their place then!

more or less yes, unless one has other issues with their skin.

there was a programme last year on BBC (i think) where a lot of skincare products were tested. to make a long story very short, it was concluded by researchers that most claims made by laboratories are false and a marketing hype. a top dermatologist (his name seems to evade me) said that the best anti-aging is sunblock, plus hydrating cream. i agree with this plus good cleansing, nutrition, hydration and lifestyle. i wouldn't personally care about creams with long lists of vitamins and other nourishing ingredients. i expect these to come from my diet. i was reading the other day how big intakes of sugar can accelerate the skin's aging process.

That may have helped me then as I avoid sugar whenever possible, particularly the "hidden" sugars in corn syrup,maltitol and other nasties, as it doesn't have any nutritional value and can be addictive.

Skincare can't do a thing to change the skin - it can only act on the top layer, otherwise it would be a drug and would have to be suitably labeled. High levels of glycolic acid, retinols, etc, exfoliate to a degree, whereby the new skin comes through quicker and the face, therefore, can look plumper and fresher. They can also get rid of acne if used correctly. Other than that, the only effective anti-ager is sunblock. The water thing is a myth, only the ingestion of oils will have a smoothing, plumping effect on the skin, and it is, therefore, a good idea to take a couple of tablespoons of cold-pressed olive oil, omega oil, or hemp oil, everyday if you wish to see your skin looking plumped and radiant.
I'm not anti-skincare, I just wish people would be realistic about it, and use it as part of what should be a pleasurable routine, and not a frantic and futile fight to try to retain the impossible: a youthful skin. Believe me, no cosmetic surgeon is fretting and worrying about being put out of business by the latest miracle cream, because there's no such thing, no matter what the advertisers tell you.

Skincare can't do a thing to change the skin - it can only act on the top layer, otherwise it would be a drug and would have to be suitably labeled. High levels of glycolic acid, retinols, etc, exfoliate to a degree, whereby the new skin comes through quicker and the face, therefore, can look plumper and fresher. They can also get rid of acne if used correctly. Other than that, the only effective anti-ager is sunblock. The water thing is a myth, only the ingestion of oils will have a smoothing, plumping effect on the skin, and it is, therefore, a good idea to take a couple of tablespoons of cold-pressed olive oil, omega oil, or hemp oil, everyday if you wish to see your skin looking plumped and radiant.
I'm not anti-skincare, I just wish people would be realistic about it, and use it as part of what should be a pleasurable routine, and not a frantic and futile fight to try to retain the impossible: a youthful skin. Believe me, no cosmetic surgeon is fretting and worrying about being put out of business by the latest miracle cream, because there's no such thing, no matter what the advertisers tell you.

A girl after my own heart...:heart::flower::heart:

true, true. there are a couple of major skincare/cosmetics companies who are being investigated, because, if their products do what they claim, they should be categorised and regulated as 'drugs'. they've been caught bt a rock and a hard place. and well deserved too imo.

Latest posts

Back