Another one off sick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I once heard a doctor say that if you saw a ten pound note on the path outside your house, you could not go out to pick it up if you had genuine flu. If you could go out and get it then you only had a severe cold...not flu.

I love the fact Julia is too ill to come to work but can spend time pushing her book on twitter

I love the fact Julia is too ill to come to work but can spend time pushing her book on twitter

Coughing everytime you talk doesn't affect the use of your hands does it??? It would affect trying to present a show on TV though!!

Coughing everytime you talk doesn't affect the use of your hands does it??? It would affect trying to present a show on TV though!!

Im sure if This morning called her and asked if she wanted to come on and promote her book her voice would soon reappear

A friend of mine who hasnt had a sick day in years was off for two weeks with that horrendous flu thats going around, he's hoping to be back to work on Monday coming.
I paid for the flu jab myself this year too, though still had heavy cold that went to my chest at xmas. Get well soon everyone whos been poorly, not nice at all x

Im sure if This morning called her and asked if she wanted to come on and promote her book her voice would soon reappear

We had Keeley coughing constantly the other week and it sounded terrible.

If julia's coughing and sputtering i'd rather she was at home and off air.

A lot of people have had the flu this time.
I have my flu jabs every year and I have had the pneumonia jab. I had a nasty flu when I returned from the USA in the early Sept. I had my yearly flu jab in October and I thought I should be OK, but I got another attack just before Christmas :sad: on the 21st to be exact.
I can start with cold symptoms and within about 24-36 hrs, it will end as sinusitis and then later chest infection. I try to keep away from people with colds as much as I can, because I will be sure to catch it, but then in my case it will progress from a cold to sinusitis and cough. I so strongly dislike anyone who had given the cold germs to me !!

Julia is not my favourite presenter but I do feel that, in this case, her absence will be genuine. I never stay off work - the only time I did, I was in hospital, so had no choice in the matter - and have the utmost consideration for my colleagues who will have to cover my shifts. There are always those who will stay off if they have a cough. I would think that Julia is too much of a professional not to think about the added pressure put on her workmates. Anyone who stays off work for no good reason - legally, self-certification would permit this for up to a week - ought to be ashamed of themselves. But then, one cannot help one's nature.:wave:

Julia is not my favourite presenter but I do feel that, in this case, her absence will be genuine. I never stay off work - the only time I did, I was in hospital, so had no choice in the matter - and have the utmost consideration for my colleagues who will have to cover my shifts. There are always those who will stay off if they have a cough. I would think that Julia is too much of a professional not to think about the added pressure put on her workmates. Anyone who stays off work for no good reason - legally, self-certification would permit this for up to a week - ought to be ashamed of themselves. But then, one cannot help one's nature.:wave:

it may be heroic going in when you're ill but that's how it spreads. i certainly didn't want anyone hacking and sneezing and using soggy tissues round me when i was at work. as well as the dreaded a/c there are always things everyone handles.

When we owned a hotel, one of the guests requested that we call a doctor as her child was unwell. The doctor duly came and examined the child. As I was showing him out of the door I enquired what was wrong with the child and he replied SBV. When I asked him what it was he replied 'some b****y virus' x

I'm quite amazed at everyone's comments about Julia pulling a sickie. She's hardly ever off so not sure why people don't believe her.

Anyway, this is her latest tweet that should shut up all the doubters:

@alikqvc Finally succumbed to the flu'y bug doing the rounds at Chizzy Park - started with a dreadful cough ..... Been in bed for 2 days ��

it may be heroic going in when you're ill but that's how it spreads. i certainly didn't want anyone hacking and sneezing and using soggy tissues round me when i was at work. as well as the dreaded a/c there are always things everyone handles.

I don't disagree Janie, it's a balance that we don't always get right.

For some it's hard to judge what the right thing is 'I need to go as I'm letting others down'...'I need to be there because I'm so important that they'll never cope without me'...'of course Im going in, sick leave is for wusses'...'I have to go in as I won't be paid/they'll replace me with someone else/I've had too much time off already'...'I'm fine it's just a cold I can still type etc'...'I'm not as bad as some'...'I'm not better but I feel better than I did'...'I just need to work through this I'll be fine' - and that's a few examples of why some continue to go in - interestingly there are a lot of 'I's' in there.

There are many reasons that some use to justify not going in but I suspect they generally centre around 'I'm too I'll...'the doctor has said I must not'...or 'I'm entitled to x sick days a year and I haven't had my allowance yet'... rather than 'I'd be helping my colleagues if I stayed off and got rid of this bug'.

Why is anyone doubting JR is ill?

I don't disagree Janie, it's a balance that we don't always get right.

For some it's hard to judge what the right thing is 'I need to go as I'm letting others down'...'I need to be there because I'm so important that they'll never cope without me'...'of course Im going in, sick leave is for wusses'...'I have to go in as I won't be paid/they'll replace me with someone else/I've had too much time off already'...'I'm fine it's just a cold I can still type etc'...'I'm not as bad as some'...'I'm not better but I feel better than I did'...'I just need to work through this I'll be fine' - and that's a few examples of why some continue to go in - interestingly there are a lot of 'I's' in there.

There are many reasons that some use to justify not going in but I suspect they generally centre around 'I'm too I'll...'the doctor has said I must not'...or 'I'm entitled to x sick days a year and I haven't had my allowance yet'... rather than 'I'd be helping my colleagues if I stayed off and got rid of this bug'.

Why is anyone doubting JR is ill?

i've always felt really guilty whenever i've been off sick, especially if it was "just" pain rather than being ill "in myself" IYKWIM but you have to be sensible. if you're obviously infectious then blowing your nose and touching phones, computers and door handles isn't doing anyone any favours. however, i do realise it's difficult with workplace rules, like there are in of all places, hospitals!

no idea why anyone would doubt JR, or any of the presenters come to that. they're just as susceptible to bugs as anyone else.

I have the flu jab as I have kidney disease and this year I had a bad reaction to the jab, red hot lumpy skin at the injection site, itchy skin and a black bruise that looked like a stripe across my arm. Arm still itches at times. Also have had this effing virus that seems to jut flare up two weeks after I have felt that i have recovered. Am currently poorly with streaming eyes, sore throat, aching joints etc. Took time off the first time I had it as I do home visits and felt it was not good to be doing this while potentially infectious. Really fed up to be ill again, don't want to be off work again after such a short time back. Can't wait for Spring to come and to feel truly well again, best wishes to all who are suffering, let's hope we have a long hot Summer and build up our immune systems.

Latest posts

Back