Niggling problems

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I buy quite a lot of gadgety stuff from QVC because they sell things that I can't find anywhere else, but I get quite a lot of items that just don't live up to the hype and/or have niggling problems.

Up until now, although disappointing, they haven't been serious enough to start the hassle of returning, so I put up with the niggles. A typical example is an auto light that (according to the demo) comes on when you move within its range, stays on for 30 seconds, then goes off UNLESS IT STILL DETECTS MOVEMENT, THEN IT STAYS ON. In fact, it doesn't stay on, it goes off after 30 seconds anyway, for a fraction of a second, then comes back on, and this constantly going off and on is quite irritating, but I did not return it, just put up with it.

This time I've ordered these - - -

TWO work as decribed, but the 3rd will NOT convert from a torch into a lamp. The 2 that work are easy to change, but I have used all my strength to try to convert the 3rd, but it just will not budge.

So now I have all the hassle of returning them for a replacement, and their system is so inflexible that they can't just replace the one faulty torch, they have to replace all 3 and I have to return all 3!

I wonder why I still bother with QVC, there is invariably a disappointment.

Have you phoned Customer Services? I’ve always found them very helpful, and they don’t always need you to return the whole set of something. I had an Elemis order once and one of the jars was smashed, so I was told to keep the whole set and they arranged for a replacement of that jar to be sent from Elemis (it took a while but it came eventually). I also had a This Works pillow mist and candle set a couple of months ago and again the candle arrived smashed. It also smelt horrific so I asked if I could just have a partial refund rather than a replacement and they agreed. It may be different in this case given that there’s no broken glass, but it would be worth asking.

I buy quite a lot of gadgety stuff from QVC because they sell things that I can't find anywhere else, but I get quite a lot of items that just don't live up to the hype and/or have niggling problems.

Up until now, although disappointing, they haven't been serious enough to start the hassle of returning, so I put up with the niggles. A typical example is an auto light that (according to the demo) comes on when you move within its range, stays on for 30 seconds, then goes off UNLESS IT STILL DETECTS MOVEMENT, THEN IT STAYS ON. In fact, it doesn't stay on, it goes off after 30 seconds anyway, for a fraction of a second, then comes back on, and this constantly going off and on is quite irritating, but I did not return it, just put up with it.

This time I've ordered these - - -

TWO work as decribed, but the 3rd will NOT convert from a torch into a lamp. The 2 that work are easy to change, but I have used all my strength to try to convert the 3rd, but it just will not budge.

So now I have all the hassle of returning them for a replacement, and their system is so inflexible that they can't just replace the one faulty torch, they have to replace all 3 and I have to return all 3!

I wonder why I still bother with QVC, there is invariably a disappointment.
The guy that does tech James Murden at Q,normally replies if you have a problem on Facebook. He's a member of the QVC UK GROUP and Lee Hohbein too Might be worth a try.

The guy that does tech James Murden at Q,normally replies if you have a problem on Facebook. He's a member of the QVC UK GROUP and Lee Hohbein too Might be worth a try.
No, apart from this problem which is a mecahanical fault, it is constant mis-information or incomplete information, because there are no REAL technical presenters any more, including Lee "Do I need an umbrella" Hohbein.

Have you phoned Customer Services? I’ve always found them very helpful, and they don’t always need you to return the whole set of something. I had an Elemis order once and one of the jars was smashed, so I was told to keep the whole set and they arranged for a replacement of that jar to be sent from Elemis (it took a while but it came eventually). I also had a This Works pillow mist and candle set a couple of months ago and again the candle arrived smashed. It also smelt horrific so I asked if I could just have a partial refund rather than a replacement and they agreed. It may be different in this case given that there’s no broken glass, but it would be worth asking.
It depends so much on who you speak to. In this case, they will despatch a new set of 3, and a label to return the whole set of 3, even though only 1 is faulty.

It would be so much easier for everyone if they could just replace 1, and cheaper for QVC.

Just imagine if there was 1 faulty LnL in the recent set of 25 and you had to return all 25, you would never be able to get them all back in the box.

Most multi department online retailers just haven't got the time or the resources to apply common sense, lets say like you, you've bought a set containing 3 items and one of them is faulty, they would need to talk to the manufacturer/supplier explain the problem and request the one faulty component is exchanged for one that works. Even though it's only one thing, the retailer sells it as a three pack, so bish bash bosh, they'll ask you to return the whole lot and they'll send another whole pack. I ordered something from Very a couple of years ago and I was happy with it, but literally a couple of days after receiving it, they put the price down by £30. I contacted them and the only option they would give me was to return the item and then reorder it at the lower price. Had it not been an item of furniture that I'd unpacked and assembled I might've been persuaded to do so (even though it's pretty silly). I asked them whether due to the short time in which I'd had the item surely they could just refund the difference to my account. All they could say is that wasn't company policy, yet they would've been happy to waste money and resources on sending a courier to my address to collect it and then send another courier a few days later to deliver a new one. I had no choice really but to keep it at the higher price and consoled myself with the fact that I was happy to pay the price when I ordered it, but frustrating nevertheless. On the other hand I have had some common sense from them. I had ordered a jacket for my son's birthday but I bought it a good few months before I needed it because it was a brand he loves, I know what size he wears in that brand but most of all it was heavily reduced in price. Come the day, unfortunately the jacket was too short in the arms and a little too tight (he hadn't gained weight btw). I said no worries I'll return it and order the next size up. I was panicking inside knowing that the item would be bound to be out of stock and that I'd left it too late to get a refund. I'd kept all the packaging and the returns form. When I checked they still sold it and sure enough it was at the same price I paid 5 months previously. I messaged Very and course they told me I'd left it too late, so I was left with a jacket that would be no good to anyone I knew, that I'd have to put it in the charity shop bag and fork out for a replacement. I replied back apologising about the delay and reminded them what a long and loyal customer I am, and that the jacket is still box fresh and still available to purchase on their website so I wondered whether they'd reconsider exchanging it for the larger size - and blow me down they agreed!!! The replacement was perfect. I believe Q does actually have a refund the difference policy though I'm not sure what the cut of time is - I wish more companies would do this! On the other hand I have been lucky enough to buy stuff I've had my eye on to find that the price has been lowered. Its proper shame that when companies could actually apply common sense, they refuse to do so!

I have managed to get 3 working ones oot of the 6 they sent, but the working ones are not the colours I wanted.

Last time I looked, there was just one review, but all it did was virtually quote the QVC blurb.

They've probably deleted any previous reviews.

It would be a very good item if it actually worked.

I recently ordered a pair of black casual trousers for work from a catalogue. Was very pleased with them as were perfect for my needs, so immediately ordered another two pairs before my size disappeared.
Parcel duly arrived and opened it, to see straight away that there was only one pair of trousers and one colourful item that definitely wasn’t a pair of black trousers. It was a tunic top.
The label on the bag gave the right description, so can only conclude that it had been returned by someone who’d also ordered trousers and got the bags mixed up.
You’d have thought it would have been noticed at return/picking stage, but presumably not.
Quite liked the look of the top so tried it on. It fixed perfectly despite being a size smaller than I would have ordered. Decided to keep it, having checked out the prize difference in the catalogue and found it was only a pound or so cheaper than the trousers.
Suppose somewhere along the line while stock checking they’ll find out they’re a top short.

It’s very much lip service to tech on QVC these days. Murden, for me, is far the better of the two demonstrators they use. At least he makes it more about the products and not HIM and what HE’s done. But regardless how technical the ‘expert’ is, time to show the actual products to their best effect is severely limited. With Goodwin, he could spend more than half an hour on the main product with a couple of more basic fillers to add-in towards the end of the hour. He had credible, serious guests directly linked to the manufacturer alongside him. People with a direct link and knowledge to what was being sold, Not these grinning, vacuous, jack of all traders masters of none, ‘brand ambassador’ types of today they use. Back in the day, they also took calls to the studio from customers - some with technical post-purchase problems like the above. I don’t think they take calls to the studio on any product nowadays.

No, because I only paid for 3, the other set of 3 was a free replacement, and they want 3 back anyway.

You’re certainly more patient than I am.

If I’d received a replacement set, because one of the original lights was defective, and then two of those were faulty, I’d pack them all up and return them for a refund after asking for a returns label. I’d then shop around for a more reliable set. I’d also leave a review so that other prospective customers were aware of a possible issue if they purchased them.

Another niggling problem with another set of torches I bought - - - the torch head could be used alone or clipped onto 3 different stands using a ball and socket joint.

It was a superb concept, but the joint was not tight enough so the lamp gradually sagged so it no longer pointed where you wanted. ALSO it had a touch switch with a tiny mark where to touch it, but in almost the same colour as the torch, so VERY difficult to find. I eventually used a marker pen on it, but even then it was very insensitve to touch.

I kept them, but had to wrap clingfilm over tha ball joint to stop it sagging, a work-around that should not have been necessary.

If I can find a photo I'll post it later.

Another niggling problem with another set of torches I bought - - - the torch head could be used alone or clipped onto 3 different stands using a ball and socket joint.

It was a superb concept, but the joint was not tight enough so the lamp gradually sagged so it no longer pointed where you wanted. ALSO it had a touch switch with a tiny mark where to touch it, but in almost the same colour as the torch, so VERY difficult to find. I eventually used a marker pen on it, but even then it was very insensitve to touch.

I kept them, but had to wrap clingfilm over tha ball joint to stop it sagging, a work-around that should not have been necessary.

If I can find a photo I'll post it later.

DID ANYONE ELSE GET THIS ?
QVC ball-joint lamp Screenshot (1082).png
QVC ball-joint lamp Screenshot (798).png

Attachments

• QVC ball-joint lamp Screenshot (797).png
    QVC ball-joint lamp Screenshot (797).png
    443.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yes, I bought a set of two black ones like that. I’ve had no problem with them sagging at all. I use one for a bedside table lamp. I do agree that the on/off button is difficult to see but when putting it off at night I just put my hand over the end of the shade, rather than faffing about trying to find the touch switch with my finger, and it turns off easily.

Yes, I bought a set of two black ones like that. I’ve had no problem with them sagging at all. I use one for a bedside table lamp. I do agree that the on/off button is difficult to see but when putting it off at night I just put my hand over the end of the shade, rather than faffing about trying to find the touch switch with my finger, and it turns off easily.
There were loads of poor reviews saying about the switch and the sagging, and also some people couldn't screw the upright into the base.

I bought 2 sets, have 2 in use with the spring clip, and the other 2 on charge. It was the upright stand I wanted to use, but it just kept sagging, perhaps it is how accurate the ball and socket joint is made, some people may be lucky with theirs.

I must admit they look very attractive and look extremely well made, apart from the problems already mentioned, and a superb idea with the 3 different mounting methods AND as a torch as well, they even have a modern USB C socket!

Last edited:
I must have been one of the lucky ones then when I ordered the black pair. Both are spot on and non-saggy.

Latest posts

Back