Latest soundbite - "I could not even get this for staff cost."

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SnowMoon

Registered Shopper
Another thing I have noticed in the last few days is a few presenters now have started saying: "I could not even get this price at staff cost/ with my staff discount." It's noticeable because they have all started saying it at the same time during this sale. I do find myself wondering if it has been suggested to them. One saying it, fair enough. Three??

Another thing I have noticed in the last few days is a few presenters now have started saying: "I could not even get this price at staff cost/ with my staff discount." It's noticeable because they have all started saying it at the same time during this sale. I do find myself wondering if it has been suggested to them. One saying it, fair enough. Three??

I've noticed this too during the sale.

If you still have to go all hard-sell during sales and come out with lines to convince people to buy, then you have to ask yourself "are these really sale prices?"

Bargains sell by themselves. Quickly. They don't need people ranting at them, to persuade them to buy!

You're definitely right about having lines 'instructed' to them too. They definitely have meetings or get company bulletins / messages with instructions to use certain phrases.

"We're selling this below cost", "there's been a mistake on the system", "We shouldn't be below X - but for today only, we're doing it for..........", or making out producers are incompetent by continually saying "OMG producer so-and-so, are you mad" or *shock face* "GEORGE! What have you done! That shouldn't be anywhere near that price".

At one point, "drenched in gold" was a routine favourite said by many of the presenters when describing gold-plated silver (Jim still says it a lot when he covers on Gemporia). It's clear that this is said to make customers believe that the gold plating is thicker than it actually is - despite plating, Midas, etc being a specific thickness of microns across the industry.

The word 'Phenomenal' is clearly an instructed word too. They all use it. Who uses that in normal every day conversation?

I notice they try to be more "personal" now too (playing on the 'friend in your living room' nonsense) by saying "Good luck to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU" or "Congratulations to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU". Jess 'absolutely' milks this line, but Jeff and Kate McCarthy say it a lot too.

They're also clearly instructed to price compare against the likes of Tiffany's, Bulgari, Harry Winston, Monika Vinader and Van Cleef & Arples too. They're the names that always get mentioned.

They never compare against the likes of H Samual, F Hinds or Elizabeth Duke, which, in reality, are Gemporia's actual competitors.

If they think that comparing a piece of mass-produced, gold-tone wishy-washy Aquamarine earrings worth £20 to a pair of high-end, strong blue Aquamarine earrings worth several thousand pounds from Bulgari is a realistic comparison, then they're either totally deluded - or they're taking customers for absolute mugs by insulting their intelligence.

Last edited:
Always annoys me being congratulated on spending my own money. The same when seemingly George has made a mistake apparently on every show. Presenters sit there with silly expressions on their faces. If George was that accident prone in any business he wouldn’t last more than 5 minutes.

Always annoys me being congratulated on spending my own money. The same when seemingly George has made a mistake apparently on every show. Presenters sit there with silly expressions on their faces. If George was that accident prone in any business he wouldn’t last more than 5 minutes.
Rachel must s**t herself every time Dave Troth is on too. She seems to make a mistake with every item when he's on. Only when he's on mind.

She must be fearing the sack every time he's on............... ;)

This seemed to be one chat with this topic (valid price comparisons). Might be of interest.

Not sure who does it most - I think Angeline - but comparisons with Monica Vinader appear valid. This is an ad pushed to me on this site:
Screenshot_2024-01-13-07-40-59-062.jpeg

Pretty standard Gemporia fare, I'd say? I've had a quick look. The white stones are diamonds and the agates are as randomly faceted as some of Gem's outputs 😀.

So, while Adina persists with the obvious BS about her stuff in gold plating being "auction house" quality (unless she means a General Sale at an auction house in Cockermouth on a sunny Saturday afternoon) and Jess/Lindsey use Bulgari as a comparison, I think think this one is OK.

(Incidentally, Angeline gets it wrong. It's not "Monica VinAYder" after all. If you listen to an ad from MV themselves, the voice over pronounces it "Monica VINudder".)

Jess Foley loves a MV price comparison and also pronounces it Vinayder.

One thing that's really annoying me at the moment is Gemporias constant price comparisons of their gold tone tat, to 18k gold high end pieces elsewhere.

If that's not deliberate misleading and shystering, I don't know what is.

That'll be my next referral to the ASA if it continues.

I agree. As you mentioned on the JM lab diamond volte face, Gems TV used to slag off gold tone and gold plating, bigging up vermeil. And here we are...

Jess Foley loves a MV price comparison and also pronounces it Vinayder.

One thing that's really annoying me at the moment is Gemporias constant price comparisons of their gold tone tat, to 18k gold high end pieces elsewhere.

If that's not deliberate misleading and shystering, I don't know what is.

That'll be my next referral to the ASA if it continues.
She annoys me when she says Detaglio, it’s a silent ’g’. If you want to be clever and speak italian look up how to pronounce it properly! Almost a year since I bought from Gemporia.

Another price comparison, taking 60sec:

a) £28.98 (incl P&P) Gemporia (with Lindsey Carr sales pitch):
Screenshot_2024-01-21-16-31-49-285.jpeg

b) £29.50 (incl P&P) Cookson Gold but it's 13.1g...for all the Lindsey Carr BS about "not being able to get this in the trade"):

Lindsey Carr comparison? Monica flipping Vinader of course.

Latest posts

Back