Social Media - That was an eyeopener - Page 464





Page 464 of 471 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466 ... LastLast
Results 4,631 to 4,640 of 4710
  1. #4631
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Posts complaining about the Q's sales assistants scaremongering about the forthcoming winter. There may be some who believe the word of a selly telly presenter but hopefully most don't. I'm always amused by the assumption that 'the elderly' are spooked by the thought of a harsh winter considering that those over 70 survived the winter of 1963 & most will have lived in homes that didn't have central heating but did have draughty single glazed windows.
    I saw a few minutes of Charlie on Cozee Home and he said a terribly hard Winter was forecast this year. Is that so? I wondered when I heard him because I haven't seen anything about this in the paper or on TV. Mind you I went into Boots yesterday and they were heavily plugging the flu jab! Perhaps they know more than the rest of us and we need it early, lol. I got mine anyway.
    Likes alter ego , Twilight liked this post
     

  2. #4632
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They take us all for fools. QVC has now become a branch of the Met Office and it’s talentless presenters are weather forecasters. I thought most of them were successful dancers.
     

  3. #4633
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, every winter is going to be coldest since it killed the dinosaurs.

    And summers are blisteringly hot and we need 20 gallons of Ultrasun even if sitting indoors.
     

  4. #4634
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    I saw a few minutes of Charlie on Cozee Home and he said a terribly hard Winter was forecast this year. Is that so? I wondered when I heard him because I haven't seen anything about this in the paper or on TV. Mind you I went into Boots yesterday and they were heavily plugging the flu jab! Perhaps they know more than the rest of us and we need it early, lol. I got mine anyway.
    I have heard on the radio a couple of times that we are in for a wet and windy end to 2019 and another Beast From The East (was it 2018 we had that?) in early 2020.

    Mind you, if QVC told me that, I wouldn’t believe it!
    Likes alter ego , Evie liked this post
     

  5. #4635
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shopperholic View Post
    I suppose things are easier to cope with when you’re 20 than 70, I’d say many 70 year olds relied on their parents to get them through the Winter of 1963. I wouldn’t say the elderly are spooked by the Winter but statistics say many are admitted to hospital with hyperthermia because those with only a pension to live on can’t afford to put the heating on, It’s literally a choice between eating and staying warm., I think they’re the people QVC are targeting this Winter to flog fleeces and electric blankets.
    Soz, Shopps I was thinking of those who are in their 80s & older. I have to pinch myself when I see 65+ being described as 'elderly' as I'm on the cusp of that definition. I find the attitude that the older generation hasn't got any common sense extremely patronising & agree that many find it hard to live on a meagre pension but do believe that their level headed attitude should be adopted by those who quiver at the slightest problem.
    Likes alter ego , AndiK , SisterBliss liked this post
     

  6. #4636
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Soz, Shopps I was thinking of those who are in their 80s & older. I have to pinch myself when I see 65+ being described as 'elderly' as I'm on the cusp of that definition. I find the attitude that the older generation hasn't got any common sense extremely patronising & agree that many find it hard to live on a meagre pension but do believe that their level headed attitude should be adopted by those who quiver at the slightest problem.
    Aw don’t say soz, you’ve nothing to be sorry about.

    I agree which you you can have 70 year olds fit as a fiddle and 70 year olds who aren’t as sprightly, same with 80 year old, or any age really.

    At almost 54 (God spares me) I’m only a decade off 65 myself. Shock!
     

  7. #4637
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The weather, wherever you are on the planet, can only be accurately predicted 10 days in advance. Local authorities have been caught out so many times in recent years that they now overcompensate. In 2013 there was a meterological conference in Exeter & one of the things they discussed was the number of poor summers the UK had recently experienced. The main man made the comment that nobody knew why the planet had weather, daft statement if you ask me, but he then went on to say that the next 10 British summers would be miserable. It was a glorious season, due to work commitments my Mr T was forced to cancel our holiday & I spent six weeks in the garden, returning to school with the best tan I've ever had
     

  8. #4638
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Back in 2010 in Northern Ireland, we had the big freeze, started early November with snowfall and lasted until December 26th. During the freeze, the outside mains froze and we had to get bottled water then the thaw many(thankfully not me)had burst pipes. It was -15 during the day in Belfast city and parts of the country areas colder than Russia.



    What caused it? Well, a volcano in Iceland erupted so a cloud of ash very high in the atmosphere and the lack of winds meant it hit Ireland and just stayed there. The rest of the UK had their normal winter.
    Likes shopperholic , alter ego liked this post
     

  9. #4639
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    8,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Back in 2010 in Northern Ireland, we had the big freeze, started early November with snowfall and lasted until December 26th. During the freeze, the outside mains froze and we had to get bottled water then the thaw many(thankfully not me)had burst pipes. It was -15 during the day in Belfast city and parts of the country areas colder than Russia.

    What caused it? Well, a volcano in Iceland erupted so a cloud of ash very high in the atmosphere and the lack of winds meant it hit Ireland and just stayed there. The rest of the UK had their normal winter.
    Winter 2010 was dreadful in the whole of the UK, from first week December, I remember it vividly due to a sad event which occurred that month. Where we are the snow first fell around 6th December and was on the ground until into January. As far as I am aware the Volcanic Ash Cloud issues were in April/May of 2010 and 2011, the latter one meant I was delayed returning home from a holiday as flights were grounded for a time.
     

  10. #4640
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sazza View Post
    Winter 2010 was dreadful in the whole of the UK, from first week December, I remember it vividly due to a sad event which occurred that month. Where we are the snow first fell around 6th December and was on the ground until into January. As far as I am aware the Volcanic Ash Cloud issues were in April/May of 2010 and 2011, the latter one meant I was delayed returning home from a holiday as flights were grounded for a time.
    Ah, dear old Eyjafjallajökull that cost us over £1200 to get home from Rome using every form of transport except a skateboard.
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •