QVC social anthropology

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
Follow up for my Q psychology thread. As a microcosm of society, QVC and related social media are very interesting. Kate Fox should write a book to rival "watching the English". (A fab read I will recommend)

They think that marketing/advertising heads up are the meaning of life worthy of fighting about (It's not it's just shopping and lining the pockets of the QVC board of directors)

You are either a sychophantic, brainwashed, drone... dare I say reminding me of the Borg Collective (watch Star Trek Next Generation if you don't know what the Borg is).

Or you are one of the "outcasts". The great unwashed. The unwanted of the QVC main page. Banned or rejected from the Borg Collective. This fuels extremism. Sometimes you start to spy like a double agent. Except it is ****** shopping and you should get a life.

For neutral observers like me it is all very funny. And an interesting reflection of society like a forum is. There are leaders, followers and flame throwers. Forum life is better than Facebook life though. At least you can have a barny and say f**k off on a forum and carry on as if nowt has happened the next day. On FB your card is marked for life. You have been warned.

Ooh, sounds fun, how does one qualify (if that's the right word! lol) as one of the 'outcasts' then?
(Just curious as I don't do FB, never have, never will!)

:mysmilie_506:

It seems to be an outcast, you need to go on the main QVC Facebook page. Post your honest opinion like you would on here. Then try to join the Borg Collective. They won't let you in though. ; )

Not talking from personal experience I must stress. They let me in everywhere. I just like reading!

Ah, I see! Yep, seems pretty straightforward!

Presumably it is some of these same members of the Borg Collective who apparently like to waste vast amounts of time reading & then marking as 'not helpful' any reviews that have the audacity to comment negatively on one of their precious favourite/chosen/must not be dissed ever brands?

:bandit:

Brands, presenters... yes. And we all know who the Queen of the Borg is...

(Ok... so perhaps my sympathies lie with the great unwashed...... )

well i know the latest outrage on there is the fact i cant post TSV or OTO heads up on there now like i used to as they just get removed from there as of saturday just gone & its caused a massive argument about it all

SCW - what reason did they give for removing your posts? You'd have thought Q would have been happy to have a bit of a tease about the TSVs as it drums up interest in the products.

SCW - what reason did they give for removing your posts? You'd have thought Q would have been happy to have a bit of a tease about the TSVs as it drums up interest in the products.

ive never acutally got an explination from them they just removed it but when others have bugged them apparently its not allowed now prior to release

ahh found it

"QVC UK Hi All, we want all our customers on QVC platforms to hear about our TSV's at the same time, and in the same way. Therefore, we will remove any TSV promotions, details or offers that are posted prior to our release"

ive never acutally got an explination from them they just removed it but when others have bugged them apparently its not allowed now prior to release

ahh found it

"QVC UK Hi All, we want all our customers on QVC platforms to hear about our TSV's at the same time, and in the same way. Therefore, we will remove any TSV promotions, details or offers that are posted prior to our release"

Hi, thank you for the info. I presume that you will still be able to post info about TSV and OTO offers on the forum?

If that's the case and it's okay with yourself I'll try and get someone to stick a link to the forum on the intranet at work, as QVC offers are a popular topic on our personal notice board. In fact it's probably the info you post that gets put up.

It would be interesting to find out if the everyone finds out at the same time/ same way tripe extends to the almighty DF's B2U Borg collective.

Ah yes the Borg and their Hive mind. very QVC . Resistance is futile !!

Q have come unstuck with their TSVs lately.I think they should concentrate on the quality not their control freakery.

But if people get a heads up they can have a good look at the item and have time to make comparisons By discussing them on forums I am much less likely to impulse buy .I like many others don't bother to wait for the TSV and that's not good for Q's sales figures.

Last edited:
I'm a neutral observer too having removed myself from the jaws of QVC, so I'm with you Weathergirl........go on put the kettle on. :mysmilie_17:

I am also an outcast on the main QVC Facebook page.:mysmilie_8: I made a comment about the asswipe Basso last December, another poster told me to stick my nose out. I replied I was able to comment if I wanted, she had no right telling me to shut up. Beginning of January suddenly I could not post yes I could read as normal. The other day(yes I do go have a nose), someone was asking how long a ban lasted as her friend had been banned for commenting about Basso and could not even read the page. I have heard of others who also cannot even read the page after being banned. Most seem to be for commenting on butcher Basso as well.

Oh and someone yesterday told the woman whose friend was banned to open another Facebook account in a different name and they could post.:mysmilie_59:

See this is why I couldn't be bothered with FB, the likes of QVC don't like home truths anyway so what's the point. Good on you Donna for speaking up, least you know you was banned for something meaningful.

I am also an outcast on the main QVC Facebook page.:mysmilie_8: I made a comment about the asswipe Basso last December, another poster told me to stick my nose out. I replied I was able to comment if I wanted, she had no right telling me to shut up. Beginning of January suddenly I could not post yes I could read as normal. The other day(yes I do go have a nose), someone was asking how long a ban lasted as her friend had been banned for commenting about Basso and could not even read the page. I have heard of others who also cannot even read the page after being banned. Most seem to be for commenting on butcher Basso as well.

Oh and someone yesterday told the woman whose friend was banned to open another Facebook account in a different name and they could post.:mysmilie_59:

As most of you ST regulars will know - I posted it on here - I was banned from the BTY group, for voicing an opinion. I was never bothered that I couldn't access the page, as I hardly ever watch QVC. It was more the despotic attitude of admin, depriving me of a democratic right - voicing a point of view.
There are some ardent QVC fanatics, who regard the channel, the presenters, and the products, as the nectar of life.
I must give it credit; I have always had excellent assistance from customer services.

I`m another one who`se been banned from posting on QVC fb page because I spoke out about Basso. My posts were not abusive in any way nor any worse than other peoples posts, some of us on the thread were blocked from posting but can still read their page, others were totally blocked and can neither read nor comment and some weren`t blocked nor banned and yet made similar comments.
There is no consistency and I think it depends who`se monitoring their page on that day but what annoyed me is people can talk about any other guests`s goods, their private lives, press interviews, TV interviews, magazine articles about them etc but not the ones about Basso. There`s been threads about Lulu Guinness depression and her lack of personality, Lulu`s face being down to botox not Time Bomb, Tova using her hubby`s death as a subject to talk about on screen and to flog glass jewellery, whether YK actually exists and how horrible the stuff is etc etc etc and yet people never get banned for talking about them, only about Basso.
I really do think that Q are trying to keep his real fur trade a secret because you`d be surprised the number of people on their fb page who don`t have a clue about it and have said they would never have bought his faux fur coats if they`d known. As soon as a Basso thread starts, you can guarantee the mods are on it quicker than sh*t off a shovel !

:mysmilie_478:

I dont do FB (wouldnt even know how to start) but I feel soooooooooo left out - I want to be outcast as well!!!

Hi, thank you for the info. I presume that you will still be able to post info about TSV and OTO offers on the forum?

If that's the case and it's okay with yourself I'll try and get someone to stick a link to the forum on the intranet at work, as QVC offers are a popular topic on our personal notice board. In fact it's probably the info you post that gets put up.

It would be interesting to find out if the everyone finds out at the same time/ same way tripe extends to the almighty DF's B2U Borg collective.

Sorry, put my comment on wrong post.

Last edited:

ahh found it

With respect though you did take it further than TSVs and OTOs. The couple of times I had a mooch you were answering on behalf of QVC to a point were new FB customers thought you were staff, one answer you gave was wrong you said stock was never coming back in, then QVC had to correct you, this may have something to do with it, maybe if you'd have kept to TSVs and OTOs they mightn't have had a problem with you, I'm just saying. Don't mean to cause offence, it's just my opinion.