Yankee Candle TSV 17/03/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Curses!!! I bought the "As Is" set - the only one I've not smelled and loved is the Cranberry Ice... I've had my eye on this set for ages.

Wedding Day has a strong whiff of paraffin for me, which unfortunately swamps the floral notes.

I'm currently planning a visit to Boundary Mills around Easter to see what they have in stock. I console myself with the fact I'm looking for specific candles (preferably from last summer and autumn) so hopefully won't get completely carried away.

Meantime, I will go for another sniff of the most recent candle releases in Brent Cross soon. The only one of the Pure Essences this time I actually liked the smell of was the Linden Tree... really wasn't fussed at all by the others... then the Coastal Living range all smelled a bit "meh" to me - even though my favourite scent family is the more ozonic seaside stuff.

Donna, I'm sure I'd have been convincing myself I needed candles with an offer like the one your local chemist had!

Look out for me in Brent Cross if you go next week. I intended to go this week but it didn't work out. I'll be the woman with the glazed-over eyes, sniffing every new candle on display.

£14.99 is not a bad price it has been quite a bit cheaper before elsewhere but thats still a good price

How much cheaper, and where?

I was just thinking Breeze got a fabulous deal and would be surprised if it could be bettered but I haven't been looking for a Scenterpiece so I haven't been looking that hard myself. It would be nice if these super deals SCW mentions could be put up on here so we can all take advantage while they're still available - or were they?

I was just thinking Breeze got a fabulous deal and would be surprised if it could be bettered but I haven't been looking for a Scenterpiece so I haven't been looking that hard myself. It would be nice if these super deals SCW mentions could be put up on here so we can all take advantage while they're still available - or were they?

in a tiny stockist near me that dont have an online presence & only has one store that is why i said its still a good price for a general stockist

If anyone is in the market for one, Hallmark had a couple of other designs at the same £14.99.
This was one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3NRSBD/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

The other I think was beige so think was this, though didn't look closely.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A5JVPIQ/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

They had loads of them. But it is an outlet village where this branch was so not sure if branches on the HS would have the same.

ahh that might be the differene cause i know i saw one of them in clintons in january & said it looked like a flower pot for £9.99 but £14.99 is a fab price for one though my mum wouldnt have one as it be no-where near a plug

The Garden Centre had some great deals and all YC were 20% off! The new presenter has nice hair, just saying! :mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15:

I bought a Scenterpiece warmer this morning in Hallmark in Gretna for £14.99.
It's this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010M5TVY8/?tag=shoppingcom03-21
I think I may have got a bargain?
I only bought two of the melt cups after your posts saying you can use the wax melts in it as I have loads of those now.

They had lots of candles, all sizes & votives. They were selling new stock large jars, like the ones in the TSV, for £19 instead of £23.
I might have risked some of the ones reduced to £8 for large jars but I was already loaded up with Easter eggs, chocolates & some things from M&S & it's a long walk back to the car park that has enough space for our motorhome.

That's a great deal Breeze, and in one of the two designs I really liked. I got this one for my birthday:

http://www.temptationgifts.com/product/yankee-candle-scenterpiece-warmer-elizabeth-with-timer

The timer is quite handy, as we've got it in the bedroom and it saves having to bend behind the back of the dresser to turn it on and off. They could have done with having switches on them really. When I first got it, I assumed the wax in the melt cups would gradually evaporate, but it seems to eventually just lose it's fragrance. You only need it on about 10 minutes to scent several rooms, though! I have to be quite careful about what fragrances I pick, as several of those that I like in candle form are too powerful for me in the Scenterpiece (but I am a migrainous bloodhound!) Would definitely recommend it for anyone who likes Yankee fragrances, but has been disappointed by some of the candles no longer having as good a throw. Am going to try the wax melt idea, too.

I don't mind the new lady. She was clearly nervous but, after the barrage of invective her previous brief stint unleashed, it is hardly surprising!

I really like the design of your one, Minx, plain & simple, very clean looking. They didn't have that one at the Gretna Hallmark.
So the melt cups smell stronger? That's interesting. I haven't tried it yet as we've only just got home. I only got two of the melt cups, Black Cherry & Soft Blanket, they didn't have many. They were £4.75 each, is that full price?

I really like the design of your one, Minx, plain & simple, very clean looking. They didn't have that one at the Gretna Hallmark.
So the melt cups smell stronger? That's interesting. I haven't tried it yet as we've only just got home. I only got two of the melt cups, Black Cherry & Soft Blanket, they didn't have many. They were £4.75 each, is that full price?

RRP is now £5.99 used to be £4.99

Has anyone lit any of the Coastal Living jars yet? I see a number of reviews saying they can't smell them at all when burning. I know we all pick up scents differently but would welcome views as it does seem to me they are the sort of scents that would "blend into the background" rather than give a decent hit (which is not necessarily a bad thing but I prefer quite noticeable fragrancing).

Sea Air is definitely the strongest throw, has hints of Clean Cotton (which I love). I've got a huge living room area and it's very noticeable in the large space.

The other two are weaker, I normally like a strong throw but somehow their subtlety works as they are 'relaxing' fragrances, I don't think they'd be right with a very strong throw. They smell nice burnt together.

Sea Air is definitely the strongest throw, has hints of Clean Cotton (which I love). I've got a huge living room area and it's very noticeable in the large space.

The other two are weaker, I normally like a strong throw but somehow their subtlety works as they are 'relaxing' fragrances, I don't think they'd be right with a very strong throw. They smell nice burnt together.

Very many thanks, Ellaaa. I was thinking of cancelling the Advance Order TSV I made all that fuss about but think I'll still go with it.

Very many thanks, Ellaaa. I was thinking of cancelling the Advance Order TSV I made all that fuss about but think I'll still go with it.

My pleasure. The pink and green ones are definitely background/atmospheric fragrances. I usually like a big fragrance hit, being a scenterpiece owner, but I can still smell them and kinda like their subtlety. I doubt I'd burn them alone though.

I don't think many new fragrances in jar form have the smell hit of the 'old classics', so I think some reviewers have got to be pretty realistic about how strong the smells are these days. And to say there's no smell to this set is completely wrong.

My pleasure. The pink and green ones are definitely background/atmospheric fragrances. I usually like a big fragrance hit, being a scenterpiece owner, but I can still smell them and kinda like their subtlety. I doubt I'd burn them alone though.

I don't think many new fragrances in jar form have the smell hit of the 'old classics', so I think some reviewers have got to be pretty realistic about how strong the smells are these days. And to say there's no smell to this set is completely wrong.

Yes, I take all reviews on Q's website with a pinch of salt and would always value opinions from people on here above all others. It did ring alarm bells to me when I saw those website reviews, though.

I agree that the "old classics" were probably stronger but I like the idea of having more subtlety with others and with certain types of fragrance.

I'm not surprised about the reviews. The faint smell on a cold sniff was what decided forms I was not going for this. I like a definite scent from my candles.

Yes, Sea Air was the only one my husband could smell consistently, he wasn't getting much from the others. I never think of burning them together, might try that, although we've only got two illuma lids. I'm fine with them all, but there's nothing normal about my freaky sense of smell. Often, my husband will come in, and I can tell what he had for lunch - he'd never get away with having an affair!! :giggle: They are such beautiful fragrances, so it's frustrating that he can't enjoy them, too. Garden by the Sea is my favourite. Interestingly, we bought Red Raspberry from Clintons last week, and he said "See! I can smell that one, that's like the old school Yankees!" and started on about me cancelling the auto delivery again. Even buying them in the shops, though, you've got no way of knowing how good the throw will be once lit. We're not all imagining it, they have obviously changed something. Like I said before, I think they're going to have to be careful. There's only so many times that people are going to be prepared to be disappointed before they give up on the brand, especially when their prices have continued to climb, in spite of the quality becoming much more variable.

i wont buy from qvc scents i have not tried as its too much of an investment if its a poor choice. the postage costs there and back and the looooooooong wait for the refund is just off ptutting. and i dont want to collect or have large jars as they take up a lot of space. some of the new scents are quite strong but not all

Yes, Sea Air was the only one my husband could smell consistently, he wasn't getting much from the others. I never think of burning them together, might try that, although we've only got two illuma lids. I'm fine with them all, but there's nothing normal about my freaky sense of smell. Often, my husband will come in, and I can tell what he had for lunch - he'd never get away with having an affair!! :giggle: They are such beautiful fragrances, so it's frustrating that he can't enjoy them, too. Garden by the Sea is my favourite. Interestingly, we bought Red Raspberry from Clintons last week, and he said "See! I can smell that one, that's like the old school Yankees!" and started on about me cancelling the auto delivery again. Even buying them in the shops, though, you've got no way of knowing how good the throw will be once lit. We're not all imagining it, they have obviously changed something. Like I said before, I think they're going to have to be careful. There's only so many times that people are going to be prepared to be disappointed before they give up on the brand, especially when their prices have continued to climb, in spite of the quality becoming much more variable.

Yes I agree Yankee need to be careful. The price versus quality ratio is getting weaker.

Even as a big Yankee fan there's no way I'd spend £24 on a large jar, even if it was one that I loved and knew it had a great throw. Luckily they're much cheaper online, so as long as that continues I'm ok! But the price tag of nearly £25 now for candles with weak throws really is terrible, and there's a definite trend of the newer fragrances being weaker.

I guess they can get away with it for the very reason you mentioned - until it's been lit you really have no idea how strong the throw will be! Very few retailers are going to let you return a used candle on the basis that it isn't very strong.

Ahhhh, the highs and lows of being a scented candle fanatic! :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back