Alison Young At It Again!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like AY. She has a good sense of humour and is a bit mad. To me it looked like a playful slap between friends and if I'd seen it before I read this thread I would have smiled.
I don't think the guest seemed offended at all. It just looked like a bit of horse-play to me. They're only flogging make-up and imo it's best done with a bit of fun and a slap or two.

I would agree with that sentiment if Ms Young can take it as well as dish it out,so I would encourage Andrew Gatineau or Ojon Dennis to give her a playful crack round the face all in the name of horse-play !!!:giggle::giggle:

I would agree with that sentiment if Ms Young can take it as well as dish it out,so I would encourage Andrew Gatineau or Ojon Dennis to give her a playful crack round the face all in the name of horse-play !!!:giggle::giggle:

:mysmilie_15:Love it!! What a massive hit on Youtube that would be. :happy:

I buy quite a lot from qvc for my girlfriend but not when AY is on air - sorry to say but I can't stand her. Voice, attitude, arrogance, patronising, I think she is awful for a shopping channel. Plus I think her appearance is a terrible advert for convincing you into buying products. Sorry rant over :)

No matter how you 'dress' it, you regard the slap and the conduct acceptable? :mysmilie_466:

can you imagine? she'd have their goolies for knicker elastic

I like AY. She has a good sense of humour and is a bit mad. To me it looked like a playful slap between friends and if I'd seen it before I read this thread I would have smiled.
I don't think the guest seemed offended at all. It just looked like a bit of horse-play to me. They're only flogging make-up and imo it's best done with a bit of fun and a slap or two.

Ive never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.
"Oh what shall we do today... shall we have a walk round Debenhams and have a shop for some make up? We can see if any of the sales assistants will give us a crack (or two) round the gob - it'll be a RIGHT laugh...."
FFS :taphead:

"Oh what shall we do today... shall we have a walk round Debenhams and have a shop for some make up? We can see if any of the sales assistants will give us a crack (or two) round the gob - it'll be a RIGHT laugh...."

To be annoyingly accurate it would be that the assistants started smacking each other around and that would freak me out enough thank you. A point often made about store counter staff is people feel they're interrupting a private gathering by trying to get service, QVC should learn from this imo.

I am biased btw, years ago I was sent out to tell someone my father was running a few minutes late and would be with him in a short while and the little s*** did hit me in the chops. Now it hurt and bruised a bit but I wasn't right in the head for days afterwards from shock more than anything.

(OK I've never been right in the head but this was different type of malfunction :grin:)

To be annoyingly accurate it would be that the assistants started smacking each other around and that would freak me out enough thank you. A point often made about store counter staff is people feel they're interrupting a private gathering by trying to get service, QVC should learn from this imo.

I am biased btw, years ago I was sent out to tell someone my father was running a few minutes late and would be with him in a short while and the little s*** did hit me in the chops. Now it hurt and bruised a bit but I wasn't right in the head for days afterwards from shock more than anything.

(OK I've never been right in the head but this was different type of malfunction :grin:)

Good point Vampy, well made.
Still ****** ridiculous to say that would be 'fun' and the way selling make up should be done. IN. MY. OPINION.

Good point Vampy, well made.
Still ****** ridiculous to say that would be 'fun' and the way selling make up should be done. IN. MY. OPINION.

As a viewer I don't want to see anyone be slapped in the face,banter yes,fun yes, but to slap someone.. friend or otherwise, is wholly unprofessional and downright rude imho.

I think Alison does have a sense of humour,it's not to my taste but I can see that she does think she's funny..ridiculing models,making remarks about babies etc etc but someone needs to rein her in now and tell her she is in danger of crossing the line and causing offence.
I think she is just far too big for her riding boots now.

I admit I didn't see the clip ( & so may have been totally out of order) But I do like AY's sense of humour & don't usually see it as offensive.She can take the p*** out of herself which I like.I have to switch her off at times as the voice grates, but she is not smiley, smarmy which I like.

As a viewer I don't want to see anyone be slapped in the face,banter yes,fun yes, but to slap someone.. friend or otherwise, is wholly unprofessional and downright rude imho.

I think Alison does have a sense of humour,it's not to my taste but I can see that she does think she's funny..ridiculing models,making remarks about babies etc etc but someone needs to rein her in now and tell her she is in danger of crossing the line and causing offence.

Couldn't agree more.
She obviously thinks that because she finds that kind of behaviour funny thateveryone does, and as has been illustrated, not everyone does. Whether a slap, lighthearted or otherwise is your idea of funny with your mates or not, I Just don't think it's acceptable on tv.

QVC management really should take stock of this and think about what message this sort of behaviour from the presenters is sending out to the viewing public; would YOU want to shop with an organisation that is complacent with its employees physically assaulting guests in public?

AY should get a SERIOUS dressing down for this, especially if she's known for being a bit too slap-happy on air. QVC bosses may also like to consider airing an apology to viewers who had to put up with this shocking display while trying to watch a beauty show. Though I think that as far as QVC's concerned out of sight is definitely out of mind.

I've been the victim of being "playfully" slapped by a manager who thought I'd insulted her to one of her staff (I hadn't). When I made a formal complaint, she burst out crying and got away with it. When I queried this, I asked what would have happened if I'd hit her back, or if I'd been the one to give a "playful" slap - as a man hitting a woman, I'd have been marched out of the building and suspended pending an investigation. What if it had been JB or Dale slapping a female guest - is it just OK if a woman slaps someone?

So apologies to whoever thinks this is a mountain being made from a mole hill, but I fail to see the funny side in this: there should be no such thing as "acceptable bullying" or "acceptable assault": as soon as you start accepting certain types of behaviour, where does it end?

Last edited:

I think she does have a good sense of humour and when she's more herself and lets that come through it's a nice thing to see - but humour or not and whether it was in jest or not she simply should not be allowed to get away with slapping guests! She made a half hearted apology after the slapping Alexis incident which wasn't that good. Now it's happened again.

OK, say for instance this was on national TV and say it was - I don't know, This Morning and it was Holly Willoughby slapping one of the guests during an item, people would be pretty widdled off I think - they'd tweet/text/Facbeook comments in and she'd be made to apologise on air properly. I don't know whether it's right to compare but that's the way I see it...:wonder:

I think the issue here is that she is doing a job and this kind of behaviour is extremely unprofessional. Even if you are friends with the guests you should still have to have a bit of distance and professionalism. I've worked before with people who have been so so friendly that when it came to work it was impossible for them to have a professional working relationship. It was also impossible if you had a problem with one of them as the other was her boss!

Alison needs to tone it down a bit on air and realise that at the end of the day she is there to provide a service to the customers watching. Not having a laugh and slapping her 'mates'. I'm all for a relaxed presenting style but keep it professional.

PS also be useful if she actually gave us decent beauty information, after all isnt that what she is there for?

A few years back where I worked a member of staff was disciplined for being too free in giving out playful slaps. He had ( in jest ) done an Eric Morecambe type slap to another colleague. It was seen by a manager & all hell broke loose. It was classed as an assault on another member of staff.

Wheteher she did it in jest or not she needs to be told to keep her mitts to herself. She really needs to reign herself in. She is OTT far too often IMO & maybe needs to get her thyroid levels checked again. I understand she has an underactive thyroid so will likely be on Thyroxine. If the dosage is too high she will go the other way & become too hyper.

At times she dosen't talk to the camera, she shrieks & becomes more & more animated talking at 90 miles an hour. My husband hates it when she is on & tells me to turn her off as she gives him a headache.

Last edited:

Lighten up! :sun:

QVC management really should take stock of this and think about what message this sort of behaviour from the presenters is sending out to the viewing public; would YOU want to shop with an organisation that is complacent with its employees physically assaulting guests in public?

AY should get a SERIOUS dressing down for this, especially if she's known for being a bit too slap-happy on air. QVC bosses may also like to consider airing an apology to viewers who had to put up with this shocking display while trying to watch a beauty show. Though I think that as far as QVC's concerned out of sight is definitely out of mind.
I agree with you. QVC are as much at fault in allowing this kind of behaviour from AY as it's not the first time is it?? After the first instance AY should have been formally warned and any subsequent slaps, whether excused as done in 'jest' or not, should be followed up by dismissal. That may sound harsh but she is the only presenter to do this and to let her get away with it gives a terrible impression of QVC and gives out the wrong kind of message.

The impression I get is that she is enjoying herself. I didn't realise that so many people are so easily shocked and offended by a TV sales person giving another presenter a tap on the chops. It was hardly an assault.

Latest posts

Back