Annaleise 👰

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, I think its the first time in living memory that I got "called out" for describing a place I visited as a toilet. (it was Casablanca - and it was).
Eh? What did I miss?

I think if somebody described my hometown as a $hithole, I'd have something to say! I'd also defend my favourite holiday destination, or any other place that meant anything to me if I read, or heard anyone bad mouthing it. On paper, a place is an inanimate object, but in reality, it's someone's home, a place full of happy memories. Of course if you didn't like a place, fine nobody's suggesting that one should pretend otherwise - but a toilet?! Sorry, but don't be surprised if anyone takes umbridge! Love ya Brissles but I don't think that comment needed another airing. However, we can't all agree on everything!
<<"Sh**hole.......On paper........"
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is it just me? Probably.

I think if somebody described my hometown as a $hithole, I'd have something to say! I'd also defend my favourite holiday destination, or any other place that meant anything to me if I read, or heard anyone bad mouthing it. On paper, a place is an inanimate object, but in reality, it's someone's home, a place full of happy memories. Of course if you didn't like a place, fine nobody's suggesting that one should pretend otherwise - but a toilet?! Sorry, but don't be surprised if anyone takes umbridge! Love ya Brissles but I don't think that comment needed another airing. However, we can't all agree on everything!

My hometown by the coast in SE England actually meant the world to me - and still does because of memories and friends. HOWEVER, in the last 40 odd years - scuse the pun, but it has gone down the pan ! From being a glorious place where Londoners spent their holidays, and daytrippers would congregate to until the advent of the package holidays in the 60's, to what it is today. The Welfare Department took over the hotels and B & Bs, illegals rock up on the beaches, and a Council who care little about the aesthetic of the town. Yep, its like Crisis at Christmas in the once thriving town centre - and I'm not alone in saying that - friends who still live there are ashamed of how its gone to rack and ruin. And if anyone wants to call it a toilet - then be my guest ! because I agree.

My hometown by the coast in SE England actually meant the world to me - and still does because of memories and friends. HOWEVER, in the last 40 odd years - scuse the pun, but it has gone down the pan ! From being a glorious place where Londoners spent their holidays, and daytrippers would congregate to until the advent of the package holidays in the 60's, to what it is today. The Welfare Department took over the hotels and B & Bs, illegals rock up on the beaches, and a Council who care little about the aesthetic of the town. Yep, its like Crisis at Christmas in the once thriving town centre - and I'm not alone in saying that - friends who still live there are ashamed of how its gone to rack and ruin. And if anyone wants to call it a toilet - then be my guest ! because I agree.
I agree. It is getting more and more like we cannot say what we think. The local town by me is very run down and not somewhere I like to visit. That is my view, and I shall say it out loud, and if someone doesn't agree that is fine, but that is my opinion, and I am going to say it, and no-one is going to stop me by saying I should not say that.

In my many years of retailing I've stopped my share of people stealing from shops.

I've often heard 'you only stopped me cos I'm black' (no I stopped you because you have items you haven't paid for) no-one has ever said you only stopped me cos I'm white/gay/trans/etc

Before anyone accuses me of being biased against people of colour, I can assure you I'm not, I am biased against thieving gits whatever colour they happen to be but unfortunately there is a growing trend of people seeing racism where none exists.
I agree. It is getting more and more like we cannot say what we think. The local town by me is very run down and not somewhere I like to visit. That is my view, and I shall say it out loud, and if someone doesn't agree that is fine, but that is my opinion, and I am going to say it, and no-one is going to stop me by saying I should not say that.
Yes our town is called a sh***ole by many of the people who live here. It's run down no shops to speak of and people wonder why nobody wants to go into it.
Council get a lot of flak about lovely old buildings being knocked down and two buildings that were badly damaged by fire are still,after 20 years standing derelict.

Civic pride a bit thin on the ground then 🤭 oh the can of worms we open !
To be honest Brissles there is nothing at all to be proud of about our town, run down people just throwing rubbish down and that's without the child sex exploitation scandal.
There are cannabis farms all over even in the empty shops in the town centre.

I'm happy to say that my town is lovely but even so, we're seeing a lot of shops closing down and it seems to me that coffee shops and eateries are gonna be the only thing left if this trajectory continues. To be fair, I've not heard anyone slagging the place off. I totally understand how people who are witnessing the degeneration of their own towns are upset and describe it as a hellhole, $hithole, whatever hole they choose, but personally would feel a bit mean describing somebody else's hometown as such. I visited one place in the UK and I absolutely hated the place and I must admit I've called it all the "holes"under the sun to people who I'm safe in knowing don't come from there..funnily enough OH loved it, so each to their own I guess!

We're very lucky to live in a very beautiful area now - but we've lived everywhere (34 years Army) and I've witnessed my husband's theory in action. He says 'Keeping an area up, starts with one person - who paints their front door, maintains hanging baskets, mows their lawn - one does it, others follow'. In our local town, there are weekly litter picks, a gardening group who tend communal areas, a group who decorate the bandstand with knitted flowers or bunting.... If your town 'looks like a toilet' paint your front door and gather people to make the necessary changes; lobby the council; get your MP involved. Change begins with YOU.
I'm with Merryone, calling anyone's home area a s****** and/or a 'toilet' is absolutely not on - and applying one of those terms to an entire continent (some of which is staggeringly beautiful) and getting all mean girls on the person who stood up to be counted about it, is frankly shameful. It's one thing to express opinions but quite another to roll out rudeness and cruelty, a smattering of sly racist slurs, and some nasty little threats to anyone who dares to disagree 'I know who you are!' - from behind a screen.

Yes change begins with me or you or anyone but you can be pissing in the wind when you live in some areas. Put a hanging basket out, you get it nicked. Clean your windows, some **** kid throws eggs at it. Try and be nice to everyone, get ignored. Try and clean up crap and dog **** everywhere, same **** kids throw it in your garden. Edinburgh is hardly a toilet but some parts of it are and I lived in one of those parts. I never thought I'd leave but I no longer live there.

Well, I think its the first time in living memory that I got "called out" for describing a place I visited as a toilet. (it was Casablanca - and it was).
I had to search for the original comment because I remembered it bothering me at the time...

I don’t think it was just that you described Casablanca as “a toilet” and “the sort of place you wipe your feet when you've left” (on the basis of one tour from a cruise ship) - which is a pretty horrible way to describe someone’s city (which I found to be such a vibrant city albeit it very poor in parts) - it was that you then dismissed the whole of Africa as a result that shocked me!

“I went to Africa...... once - it was a day trip to Casablanca on my cruise itinerary. It was a toilet - and that's being polite. So have no desire to go to that Continent again.”

Can't be any worse than what I was called :rolleyes:, and looking back at the archive that 'new member' hasn't engaged since. BUT I did take note of who agreed with her name calling of me, and they are still regular contributors !!!! I don't forget - or forgive, you know who you are !
I wasn’t going to respond to this, and still worried to - in fact scared to comment on this thread at all because of it, but decided to be brave! 😉

I don’t know if I was one of the people you’re referring to?
I don’t think I was because I don’t agree with name calling even though it is sometimes absolutely justified, and was careful not to like that, but I did and do support calling people out where there is racist comment or other discrimination...

But the point is, even though I am not one of the people you refer to, I felt threatened by your comment, a which felt a bit bullying in a way!
(I’m NOT calling you a bully BTW, just that it felt a bit threatening!
Maybe I’m being silly but that’s how it is!)

It made me feel nervous and as if I couldn’t freely say what I feel is right - whether you or anyone else agrees with it or not - nor publicly support someone else who is trying to do the same...

I hate conflict but I also hate feeling unable to speak up/out!

I know there’s lots of discussion and disagreement and on here and that’s fine in what should be a pretty safe space for debate! 🤞

We don't want anyone to feel they cannot speak freely on here.

The thread referred to we were keeping a close eye on, just as we are this one.

We all have to be careful not to be offensive. There is no place for racism here or even racist undertones.

I try to limit my comments to presenting styles, although most are negative.

Presenters can take notice or not, and if they are sensible they would address any common criticisms. Nobody is perfect and refresher training takes place in many companies.

The only comments I make on appearance is when something looks ridiculous, and possibly detracts from the product being demo’d.

Not one of my comments is triggered by a presenter being of colour, gay, straight, young or old, married or single, slim or large etc and I would be angry if anyone accused me of doing so.

When Jackie Kabler had extensions which she crimped with a crimping iron and the colour match to her natural colour was woeful, one was white the other straw yellow, for all the world looked like she had borrowed a spaniel’s ears. Despite it being really really bad she kept them for several years but has now discarded them.

Alex H irritates the life out of me with her overtly American accent and raucous laugh. I wouldn't call her style "calm" - anything but.

The 'stylist' who I do find 'calm' is the well spoken one with the short pixie haircut - she's never anything but professional, and I'd be more than happy if she was a permanent presenter.
I don't completely agree about the pixi haircut BA. If we're talking about the same person, I think she should widen her vocab. Everything she describes is 'absolutely gorgeous,' and I mean everything. However, she does go into detail about the garment and does not explode into gales of false, earsplitting laughter which I appreciate. So, I give her a 7 out of ten.

When Jackie Kabler had extensions which she crimped with a crimping iron and the colour match to her natural colour was woeful, one was white the other straw yellow, for all the world looked like she had borrowed a spaniel’s ears. Despite it being really really bad she kept them for several years but has now discarded them.
Yes, her hair looks better now.

I rarely watch the Q now but caught 5 mins of Carla L and couldn’t figure out what was different about her, even Mr L looked up and asked what she had done to her face. Couldn’t put my finger on it but her face seemed wider and shorter. Hope she hadn’t gone down the face lift route as she is naturally a good looking lady.

I don't know which young woman presenter is which, but one of them comes across as completely uneducated, so as to have been completely unwatchable. Ignorant of pronunciation, usage and meaning of common terms and phrases. It has put me off her totally, to the point where it I realise she is the presenter I don't give her a chance I change channels immediately...

Latest posts

Back