Anyone going for the slow cooker?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

NIKKID

Registered Shopper
I really dont know much about them - anyone got one and wish to give some advice?

Are they safe to leave running alone in the house all day? Im sick getting home late and having to start cooking - how nice to get home to find dinner all ready to go!!

Is the qvc one any good ro should I look at other makes - the price is very tempting but i worry there should be more functions?

I have a Morphy Richards one I got in Tesco a few years ago (think I paid £16 for it, in the sale). I LOVE mine and use it all the time in the winter. I've left it on when I've popped out for a few hours but I've never left it unattended all day. I've also left it on over night (smell in the morning is divine!) - then reheated the food (in a pan) when I got home.

I've only cooked things with veggies/pulses, but apparently you can make cakes, lasagne, etc in them, and cook whole chickens/joints as well. There are quite a few slow cooker recipe books out now - and you can always find recipes/ideas online too.

We got ours from Argos in the January Sales last month. Just a cheap 'Argos Value' one, but we only paid £4.99 for it.
It gets used loads, mainly for soups & stews though. We do leave it on all day, never had a problem with it.
This one has only got three functions as well. (High, Low & Keep Warm). I think most slow cookers only have three funtions TBH.

We bought this cook-book, http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/11039670/200-Slow-Cooker-Recipes/Product.html , haven't tried anything yet but it gives you loads of ideas.

Slow cookers are really good I think, but you will pick one up a lot cheaper than QVC.

Got mine on at the moment with a rice pudding in it.

Can't say I use mine all the time, often it's in the cupbord for a couple of years. Could live without it quite easily.

You can pick up branded slow cookers cheaply in lots of places at the moment.

I got a Morphy Richards one from Sainsburys to replace a very ancient Tefal one I was given. I use it a lot in winter. Great for cooking things like braised steak, oxtail, things that take long, slow cooking.
I do leave mine on all day, unattended. Have never had a problem. All the big supermarkets sell them.

Put "slow cooker" into the search on Amazon & there are lots of reviews under all the different makes, lots of makes & models, so you can compare them.

I had one years ago that I gave away but am seriously considering getting another.

Argos are selling one for £6.29 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4207490/Trail/searchtext>SLOW+COOKER.htm

Safe, so long as you do not overfill?

If you get one then the following site can be useful. http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

I bought the Cookworks one from Argos a few years ago and it's been great. Use it to poach whole chickens (meat is beautifully moist and tender), making stock, soups, casseroles etc. Never tried puddings in mine but believe they work well too. Have left mine on the low setting all day with no problem, nothing nicer than coming home on a freezing cold day to the appetising smell of a meal cooking!

We got a CrockPot one from Currys, I think ASDA currently has a similar one going cheap. I haven't used it much but that's cause we're living with MiL whose kitchen isn't really a cooking kitchen, more a microwave kitchen. Once we have a place of our own again (hopefully soon) I'm sure it'll be out and used a lot.

I have to admit I love the QVC one in red.

We got a CrockPot one from Currys, I think ASDA currently has a similar one going cheap. I haven't used it much but that's cause we're living with MiL whose kitchen isn't really a cooking kitchen, more a microwave kitchen. Once we have a place of our own again (hopefully soon) I'm sure it'll be out and used a lot.

I have to admit I love the QVC one in red.

Yep if I didnt have one already I'd have gone for the red as well.

Got mine from Argos for about a tenner I think, it has three settings too, high, low, keep warm. I normally only use the high if I'm in the house, but I've left it on low all day with no problem, its brillant for casseroles esp if the meat is a cheaper cut, its always tender by the time you get home. Well worth the money imo!

I really dont know much about them - anyone got one and wish to give some advice?

Mine rarely sees the light of day these days but a good tip is that I'd go for one with a removeable crockpot. So much easier to clean! :happy:

P.S. And for putting under a hot grill to get that lovely crispy topping...

Last edited:
My friend has gone for it (In a moment of madness) as she is to cooking what Stevie Wonder is to judging Crufts...

She's on the QVC facebook page saying that she's bought it and also talking about the time when she was first married and managed to cause a power cut where she lived after washing the electrical part of the slow cooker she had.

Hope she manages not to do the same this time.

I bought the 1.5 litre version last year - 830367, think was under a tenner at the time. Been really useful, I live alone and use to max capacity then freeze for ready dinners :up:

I haven't been able to watch these shows today, the look of all that horrible slimey greasy meat falling apart makes me feel sick :envy::envy::envy: . I never have liked stewed meat, prefer it, chicken and fish cooked quickly - mainly grilled.

I use my slow cooker all the time and I leave it on when I'm out, that's the idea of them. It makes cheap cuts of meat very tender, but potatoes need to be cooked a bit before they go in otherwise they're hard. Also liquid doesn't evaporate at all, in fact it appears to increase when the other ingredients shrink during the long cooking process, so don't put too much in.

The cost of the TSV at almost £21 with the P&P, isn't that good. I suppose if you want a funky coloured one then it's okay. I got mine in Asda for a tenner.

But, but, but do you have to be really organised and do all your veg chopped and have the meat ready in the morning to chuck it all in. That's before you go to work and then come home and lovely meal ready.:blush: That is the gist of it isn't it? Being organised first thing in the morning??

Another :up: for the slow cooker. Use it a lot in winter and have left it on all day without any problem.

I always seal the meat before adding it to the slow cooker.

I've got the small Posner & I use it loads. It cooks Spaghetti Bolagnese a treat. Have ordered the TSV today as a larger one will be better. The small one is OK for just me & OH but if I have my Dad here it really isn't big enough.

Sad maybe but I went for the blue one as it will match my kettle and toaster! Been after while for a while, since a friend did the most amazing lamb tagine which was left on for 8 hours.

Will the 3.5L be big enough for a family? The dimensions look quite small. I was looking at a Gino D'Campo one today which was 5L I think, although £35, so I didn't get it.

I don't think it's selling as well as expected because I see we now have OTO's yet all colours of the TSV are still available.

Quick question......what's the difference (apart from the colour choice and price that is!) between the TSV one and the equivalent capacity Cookworks model in Argos?

Latest posts

Back