Anyone going for the slow cooker?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well i took all your advice on board and looked around a bit. I finally went for one on Amazon which has a 6l capacity for £24.99. I think i would benefit from the extra capacity as i often make meals for my inlaws as well and then give them left overs for lunch the next day. I also ordered a slow cooker cookery book so i cant wait for it to arrive now!

I don't think it's selling as well as expected because I see we now have OTO's yet all colours of the TSV are still available.

Quick question......what's the difference (apart from the colour choice and price that is!) between the TSV one and the equivalent capacity Cookworks model in Argos?

Blimey well seeing as I went for the TSV and the Cookworks one is only £6.29, I'm hoping the Argos one is duff!! :thinking:

I have the smaller 1.5l Posner slow cooker and it's fab.

I've used it lots of times and it's very sturdy, with a strong ceramic pot.

I'd definitely recommend this one if you want quality.

(for once QVC may have got it right :thinking:)

But, but, but do you have to be really organised and do all your veg chopped and have the meat ready in the morning to chuck it all in. That's before you go to work and then come home and lovely meal ready.:blush: That is the gist of it isn't it? Being organised first thing in the morning??

No, no, no. Here is a 'recipe' (all ingredients available at Asda):-

2 packs of ready cut braising steak (sprinkled with plain flour)
2 bags of ready chopped onion
2 bags of ready peeled, partly cooked potatoes (cut into cubes)
I pack of ready chopped carrots and swede
I jar of tomato passata with herbs
1 pack of fresh beef stock
Seasoning

Open packets and chuck the lot in. Stir well. Leave in fridge overnight if no time in the morning. Switch slow cooker on low and leave all day.Note the aroma when you get back. Lift out pot and lay ready rolled shortcrust pastry on top. Put in oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.

Enjoy an amazing huge meat and potato pie. What could be easier.

As it's so cheap, shall I buy the Argos one and then we can compare notes..........:wink:

LOL! Go on then. Although I have a feeling that even if it is duff, your reviews will be glowing!! :happy:

PS I even told hubs the price of the Argos one and he doesn't swear but even he said 'bl**dy hell'!!

Last edited:
Blimey well seeing as I went for the TSV and the Cookworks one is only £6.29, I'm hoping the Argos one is duff!! :thinking:

Sorry, it isn't. The Argos one is the one we got for a fiver.
Probably use it about 2 or 3 times a week. Hasn't let us down yet & we got it at the start of January last year.:happy:

I love my slow cooker, a bargain from Amazon so shop around and do your research. Bolognaise sauce is lovely cooked for a long time, would never cook it any other way now, the flavours are really enhanced. Also do dahl, soups, stews. When it really came into its own was during the time I was doing some decorating. It was great to have a meal all cooked and ready after I had finished the hell (hate decorating!) of glossing the wood work. You can leave them on all day in my experince,

I've had a Slo Cooker since 1980 and loved it. I was then given one which had it;s own hotplate so the meat and veg could be browned on the hob after which the pot is transferred back to the hotplate. I cut the veg quite small because things like potato and swede can take longer to cook than meat. I leave it on all day or overnight using no more than 1/4-1/2pt of liquid. The only thing you can't do is reheat the food in the SC once it has become cold.
Happy cooking and best wishes from Springflower.

I got another one today after all the discussion on here, a smaller 1.5 litre Russell Hobbs in the sale in Sainsburys for £8. I put a tin of sliced apple in the bottom and then a basic sponge mix (4/4/2/4 of butter, sugar, eggs and SR flour) done in my Kenwood KMix, left it on for 4 hours and have just had the most amazing pud. Feeling very full though.

I love my slow cooker - I deliberated for about six months as I did not want another thing to sit on the shelf. Well, it is the answer to economy cooking and I could get three servings poss 4 out of my baby Cookworks model from Argos. But I do live alone. It cost me £5.00. However, I think the TSV looked brilliant and I would have gladly bought it, but I already have one. It would have been as good for me as a small family. For some reason I was drawn to the blue one. The good thing about it is that you cook in the ceramic dish, which washes, so the visible part of the cooker always remains immaculate.

Missed this yesterday. But I'm a huge fan of slow-cookers and have two, one big for legs of lamb etc, and one small for well, smaller dishes. I've never worried about leaving it unattended, and they only use very tiny amounts of electricity.

I have recently treated myself to a JML Starchef multi-cooker that I picked up in the Birchwood outlet for around £50 - this slow cooks, frys, steams, bakes etc. It is brilliant because you can fry your meat in it, then add everything else to the pan and off it goes - minimal washing up and dishwasher safe! It has a very clever timer so you can tell it when you want to eat and it turns itself on automatically - perfect for morning porridge.

Mine came today and it's not what I expected at all ... I don't usually impulse buy any more and I think I thought it would be more robust, the outer seems quite flimsy (I can't help thinking the pot looks like it should have a plant growing out of it!)

- and can you tell me please, if it's normal for the lid to be quite a lot smaller than the pot? it looks as though it's the wrong size to me as it rattles around and doesn't fit very well?

thanks!

Mine came today and it's not what I expected at all ... I don't usually impulse buy any more and I think I thought it would be more robust, the outer seems quite flimsy (I can't help thinking the pot looks like it should have a plant growing out of it!)

- and can you tell me please, if it's normal for the lid to be quite a lot smaller than the pot? it looks as though it's the wrong size to me as it rattles around and doesn't fit very well?

thanks!

Oh no, that doesn't sound good. I'm thinking of sending mine back now and I haven't even received it yet! Hopefully today!! Wish I'd researched a bit beforehand though, especially as everyone seems to have a five pound one! :happy:

Do you think you'll keep it? How can you return it, post or courier? Courier I hope! (FOC).

Will report what I think of mine.............

Oh no, that doesn't sound good. I'm thinking of sending mine back now and I haven't even received it yet! Hopefully today!! Wish I'd researched a bit beforehand though, especially as everyone seems to have a five pound one! :happy:

Do you think you'll keep it? How can you return it, post or courier? Courier I hope! (FOC).

Will report what I think of mine.............

Don't panic!:sweat: Mine arrived today. It was exactly what I expected.

The outside is quite light, it only has the element for heating in it.

The insides (the pot you lift out) is a nice weight but liftable and is very sturdy.

The lid, mine fits fine over the open area.

It's just like the 1.5l one of theirs I have and that cooks like a dream!

Cook something in it and you'll see :sun:

Love mine! Mine is only cheapy from Tesco, but to be honest, I can't really see the point of paying much for one. They don't "do" much - just keep to a constant temperature.

I do tend to use mine a fair bit at this time of year. It's lovely to return from work to the smell of food cooking and know that you have to put no effort in to have a hearty filling tea.

Have experimented a fair bit with mine and have recently tried some of the new Schwartz mixes (specially for slow cookers) that make it even easier. The beef and tomato one is particularly nice.

Sometimes a bowl of hot casserole/chicken and some crusty bread is exactly what's needed after a day out in the cold.

Latest posts

Back