Apple products 15/12/11

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A few years ago when I wanted a MP3 player I said I would never have an ipod - they were overhyped and I didn't like the fact that they were taking over. Bought a sony one. Then after a year or so got my first ipod nano - I was hooked and would now not buy anything else. I went on to buy the ipod touch, then when my phone contract was due got the iphone 4. Then hubby bought a macbook pro and I got a good deal (because we were buying 2) on a macbook - which I love. As I said above I am having an ipad 2 for xmas.

If you have never tried it you don't know what you are missing and once you have 'dipped your toe into Apple' you will never go back. The quality and service you get is second to none. In the Apple Stores the staff are really good and very helpful and will spend time showing you the products and also give you tips on what to do if you have a problem.

I had a Dell computer before and I couldn't even ring the helpline without them wanting payment first - I had to contact trading standards to get a problem sorted with it and threaten them with the sale of goods act as it was only 13 months old when it completely died!

i love my iphone and my ipad2.

i cant see there being any savings with QVC. Apple dont "do" discounting from what i can see. i was in the store yesterday with my pal and it was like "what recession?". people were buying stuff like mad. he bought his an apad and i bought him the cover for xmas, we spent over 600 quid in about 5 minutes.

Oh I love Apple stores! The store assistants don't hassle you to buy - if anything you are left well and truly alone to enjoy playing on the products, and they will then gladly help you if you seek it. The other thing I like is the democracy inside the store. No-one is shooed out of the store. Apple positively welcome children to have a play and spend a whole afternoon in store if the kids want to. An assistant told me that Apple positively welcome children and don't mind at all if they just want to play on the iPads. What they are finding though is that those kids who have spent a couple of years playing in the Apple store start coming in at 16/ 17 or as uni students to buy Apple products. So, it pays dividends in the end as children are the future Apple consumers. The same assistant said to me that the Apple ethos is to create a great product, whether it be a computer or an iPad/iPhone etc. Its Apple's starting point. The fact that Apple makes a lot of money from it is secondary, a by-product of its ethos. I kind of like that ethos myself and I think this is what sets Apple completely apart, in a wholly different league, to other tech companies.

On a different note, we have an iStore where I live (my nearest Apple store is an hour away) which is an authorised Apple reseller. Well, their attitude is completely different to the Apple Store. A friend of my daughter's was kicked out of the iStore as it was decided by shop staff that she and her friends had spent enough time playing on the iPads and it was time for them to leave. They were not misbehaving or anything like that. I was almost tempted to write to Apple and complain about this given the completely different attitude towards kids in their own Stores and the iStore is supposed to mirror Apple's store practices. I now refuse to go into the iStore or buy anything in there because they are ruining the experience Apple wants its customers to enjoy in store.

In terms of QVC Apple offerings, there definitely won't be any price reductions as Apple don't do discounting (except on Black Friday) but maybe they will offer some easy pay offers. I will tune it as am interested to see how Apple is presented and to pick up some techie tips for my MacBook Pro, iPad2 and iPhone 4S.

Last edited:
I have an I Phone and Macbook but wouldn't buy an I Pad simply because of the lack of Flash Player - which if, like me, you play a lot of on-line means there's no point in getting one. I believe Flash will be gone in a few years but until then it's a no.

I use Apple products and have had both ipads but always end up selling after a few weeks as i have iphone 4 and macbook pro laptop.
Nice to see QVC selling Apple products - but these days Apple sell in many low end stores like Argos etc.

Still rather buy direct from Apple as QVC will only ramp up charges!.

Flamenco (or anyone else that can answer!) - what is the ereader facility like on the ipad? I asked for a Kindle for xmas, which has now turned into hubby buying me a pad as more versatile (am I complaining? :tongue: lol) Anyway, I have opened the ereader app and Kindle on the Sony pad (sorry, don't know model) and the screen was very much muted like the kindle. It's one of the main reasons I wanted a Kindle, rather than using it on my netbook or laptop, that being that the light/screen is more conducive to lots of reading. How does this compare on the ipad? Seen as he's having the mac book air I think he is swaying towards apple for me, but I want to make sure it's going to be suitable as a reader (I know every other function on there will be ace!)

I have the first iPad. I had the Kindle app a long time before I got an actual Kindle and never had any problems reading it. I also like that it's in colour. It is a backlit screen but you can adjust the brightness. You can also reverse it so it's white text on a black background. In fact, you can reverse the whole iPad so everything is in negative. Very strange!! The only real issue, IMO, is in sunlight when it can be hard to read due to reflections. It's also a bigger screen than the Kindle, which may be helpful.

HTH!!

Flamenco (or anyone else that can answer!) - what is the ereader facility like on the ipad? I asked for a Kindle for xmas, which has now turned into hubby buying me a pad as more versatile (am I complaining? :tongue: lol) Anyway, I have opened the ereader app and Kindle on the Sony pad (sorry, don't know model) and the screen was very much muted like the kindle. It's one of the main reasons I wanted a Kindle, rather than using it on my netbook or laptop, that being that the light/screen is more conducive to lots of reading. How does this compare on the ipad? Seen as he's having the mac book air I think he is swaying towards apple for me, but I want to make sure it's going to be suitable as a reader (I know every other function on there will be ace!)

I have a Kindle so haven't really used the Kindle app on the iPad a huge amount but I think it's had a few recent updates. You can alter the screen brightness by touching the Aa icon on the page you're reading so it can be muted to look like a Kindle screen. I don't know how it stands up to screen glare if you're reading outside in the sunshine though. It's a free app so you could download a free book and try it out and see how you find it. I might road test the app a bit more when I go away this week for a couple of days..

Ooooo I like the Sepia background! Just changed the background from white to sepia. Much loser to a Kindle screen

I don't have an iPad but my son does and I have a kindle. Much as I love the iPad and desperately want one I don't think it will replace my Kindle. The kindle is brilliant in the sunlight and more comfortable to hold for long periods of time. The kindle is lightweight and I actually keep mine in my handbag all the time. It's easier and lighter than carrying a book let alone an iPad.

Thanks Mermaid and Flamenco! Very helpful, and I like the sound of the sepia. lol. Tinkerbell, I am thinking this too. I was being a good girl, all I asked for was a Kindle and a Barry Manilow cd (it was Barbra Streisand last year. Oh how he despairs of my diverse music taste!!!) :rock: hehe and now it's got out of hand! I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and I am always browsing t'internet during the day, so I am thinking the pad will incorporate it all (on a much bigger screen), even though it will be heavier than the Kindle. If I was buying my own, it would be the Kindle....I am taking full advantage of his 'advice', haha!! :angel:

You have a fab hubby buying you an iPad, Capirossi!! I had to buy mine out of my redundancy payment as hell would have frozen over before the husband would buy me one! He does borrow mine though, the devil.

My hubby is buying mine too but it is for xmas and my birthday which is on 30th. He did also buy a lovely Michael Korrs black patent ipad case in TK Maxx the other day for me which was half the normal price. It is lovely - can't wait till xmas day!

You have a fab hubby buying you an iPad, Capirossi!! I had to buy mine out of my redundancy payment as hell would have frozen over before the husband would buy me one! He does borrow mine though, the devil.

I think he is feeling guilty after I virtually gave up work for a month to nurse him after his motorbike accident, lol

My hubby is buying mine too but it is for xmas and my birthday which is on 30th. He did also buy a lovely Michael Korrs black patent ipad case in TK Maxx the other day for me which was half the normal price. It is lovely - can't wait till xmas day!

They do have their uses at times don't they?! ;)

Am mobile so please excuse typos, limited vocabulary and inability to thank/like posts!!

i aprreciate what you're saying about how nice it is to let kids play for a whole afternoon if they want to but that can be a problem when old fogeys (moi) who don't know the first thing about an ipad/iphone can't get anywhere near it to see how it works/what it does. my local (huge) shopping centre has an apple store that is so packed out all day every day, you can't get in there without sharpening up your elbows and wearing shinpads. ok, kids are the future blah, blah but what about the rest of us..........who might actually buy something.

I think he is feeling guilty after I virtually gave up work for a month to nurse him after his motorbike accident, lol

They do have their uses at times don't they?! ;)

Am mobile so please excuse typos, limited vocabulary and inability to thank/like posts!!

Yes they do - limited though!!! You won't be mobile for long - you will be playing on your new ipad lol

i aprreciate what you're saying about how nice it is to let kids play for a whole afternoon if they want to but that can be a problem when old fogeys (moi) who don't know the first thing about an ipad/iphone can't get anywhere near it to see how it works/what it does. my local (huge) shopping centre has an apple store that is so packed out all day every day, you can't get in there without sharpening up your elbows and wearing shinpads. ok, kids are the future blah, blah but what about the rest of us..........who might actually buy something.

You have a point there Janie, I find QVC actually quite useful to find out how electronic products work, even if you don't by them there. If you see the I Pad demoed I think this would help as actually for a piece of tech it's one of the easiest to use (I've played with one in store - tee hee).

Saw the advert for myself earlier. It had all manner of Apple products on there...woooh!! I am now wondering, if hubby has a mac book air, would an ipad be a useful addition for streaming stuff around the house?......hmmm. Getting carried away with myself now. My 3 easy pay code is burning a hole in my inbox, hehe!!!

Latest posts

Back