Aqua manda is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

All this talk about perfumes has reminded me of the one my Mum used to wear when I was a child - 'Stevie B'! After I left school I did the whole 'Poison' thing - mostly because liked the bottle! And later I loved Calvin Klein Eternity. Now, thanks to my asthma, I struggle to use (or even been locked in a car with someone wearing) many perfumes. Although I find I am okay with some of the Tocca ones. And Baby Grace by Philosophy. I probably wrecked my lungs wearing layer after layer of Poison!

Yes it was a cheap perfume, well I could afford it on my 12 year pocket money. I think drown myself in it, perhaps the reason I know hate the smell of oranges.:mysmilie_10:

Just a word of warning the new one will not be the same. Reformulation and also ingredients which are now deemed unsafe make a great difference.

Talu was all about the massive patchouli, the new one around now is not the same perfume. I own a pure parfum(as its called), don't actually wear it much.

I started with things like Coty Wild Musk Oil(it has to be the oil not the spray they have around now. A friend in the US managed to get me a bottle of the oil some years back), Aqua Manda, Pagan and dabbing my mother's Youth Dew, Tweed and Moon Drops.

My first proper grown up perfume was when I started working at 16, Rochas Femme which they unfortunately reformulated in 1989 by adding cumin!!!!! About two years ago I found a pre 1989 pdt on ebay and it smells as I remember, all sugared plums, leather.

Oh I sniffed Blue Grass recently out of interest on a counter. Smells nothing like the original I remember as a teen.

Oh Moon Drops ! another one I'd forgotten. I can't bear Youth Dew, it smells SO differently on everyone - mainly cats pee ! (apologies to those regular wearers).

I was a big Pagan wearer - tiny bottle but a powerful scent that only a drop was needed.

I worked as a teenager in the 60's at Pfizer, the company that made Coty, so from the canteen I could buy Coty L'Aimant (cream with dipper stick) for 1/6d per bottle !

COTY now produce perfumes for all the celebs ................................http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-houses-c/coty/

Thank you for bringing this up. I have fond memories of Aqua Manda. I was seventeen and had been secretly in love with a boy, who eventually asked me to the cinema. When we met he had bought me a bottle of Aqua Manda and I always wore it. I thought it was a wonderful gesture. However, he never turned up for our second date and I was left to pine for months (the pig). Still, I did have my bottle of Aqua Manda.
Will try to get a tester of it and see what memories it brings.

I remember Aqua Manda - very 70's packaging! And Kiku by Faberge - I thought it the height of sophistication when I got the talcum powder for Xmas once, in its round, yellow, tasseled container :grin:

I used to nick my sister's perfume - she liked Rive Gauche and Miss Dior at that time.

Also remember buying Hai Karate after-shave for Dad.

I remember Aqua Manda - very 70's packaging! And Kiku by Faberge - I thought it the height of sophistication when I got the talcum powder for Xmas once, in its round, yellow, tasseled container :grin:

I used to nick my sister's perfume - she liked Rive Gauche and Miss Dior at that time.

Also remember buying Hai Karate after-shave for Dad.

My sis still has the round yellow container!

What lovely memories! Aqua manda, le jardin - loved them I remember Kiku too. My mum wore Tweed and it made me gag; loathed the stuff. Does anyone else remember getting Pretty Peach by Avon as a child? I don't think I ever did, but always hankered after it!

I love these perfume threads that we have now and again. Aqua Manda bath foam is what I used to use, never had the actual perfume.
Max Factor perfumes were lovely, there was Primitif, Electrique, and my favourite Hypnotique, they came in small dab on bottles that were attached to black velvet cats.....yes really.
Also Geminesse was another nice one by them.
Yardley Khadine was another one I loved as well, and Sea Jade too. :sun:

So many great perfumes have sadly been and gone. Nowadays the celebrity perfume is everywhere and so many perfumes smell artificial. I`ve been dabbling in Arabian pefumes for a while and they`re highly concentrated, alcohol free and tend to be more of an oil than a perfume but some of them have been lovely. It`s so easy to buy a small sample for a couple of pounds and they last and last.
I like Swiss Arabian brand the best and they seem to be a quality perfume. I don`t buy them for any religious or cultural reasons but simply because they are something different, samples are readily available and they dont smell artificial, full of chemicals or found in every shop. Here`s a short you tube about them and I buy my samples from a UK website called paradise perfumes and gems and have found a couple I really love and have now bought the full sized bottles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-HBovQGJg&list=PLFee97NEyS47eJVXKMwD0hiYfyrAQIeAg

Oh Moon Drops ! another one I'd forgotten. I can't bear Youth Dew, it smells SO differently on everyone - mainly cats pee ! (apologies to those regular wearers).

I was a big Pagan wearer - tiny bottle but a powerful scent that only a drop was needed.

I worked as a teenager in the 60's at Pfizer, the company that made Coty, so from the canteen I could buy Coty L'Aimant (cream with dipper stick) for 1/6d per bottle !

COTY now produce perfumes for all the celebs ................................http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-houses-c/coty/

Coty have two seperate brands, Coty which does L'Aimant which my mum wore, it was considered the poor woman's No5. They now have a prestige range Bottega Veneta is totally fabulous. Trouble is people see manufactured by Coty and think chemist/drug store.

I smelled Youth Dew for the first time recently, and I agree. I mostly like stronger 80s perfumes (I think it's 80s?) like Opium, Poison and Oscar. Probably because my mum wore them when I was little so they remind me of her. I was expecting Youth Dew to be in the same vein, but it was... oh god. Quite possibly the worst perfume I've ever encountered.

I love these perfume threads that we have now and again. Aqua Manda bath foam is what I used to use, never had the actual perfume.
Max Factor perfumes were lovely, there was Primitif, Electrique, and my favourite Hypnotique, they came in small dab on bottles that were attached to black velvet cats.....yes really.
Also Geminesse was another nice one by them.
Yardley Khadine was another one I loved as well, and Sea Jade too. :sun:

Here you go CG! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Max-Factor-Vintage-Primitif-Perfume-and-Black-Velvet-Cat-/300991678722

The bottle I had in the 80s, had a gold lid.

I can spot Samsara at a 100 yards. I bought it loved it when first released. The a girl sitting facing me at work in the early 90s wore it day in day out. I soon grew to hate.

Another is Escape, a co worker's mum used to travel to the US on holiday about 3 or 4 times a year and must have brought her gallons of the stuff back. She drown herself in it. Totally vile, and Calvin Klein should have been drown in a vat of the stuff. This may explain why I cannot stand any CK fragrances.

Heads up peeps. Marks and Spencer have some perfumes at half price. Laurence Dumont Les Senteurs Gourmands at £11.25, each vanilla based. I love Vanille Noire very deep and sexy.

Also this brand, very nice violet fragrances.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Perf...te&size=12&lo_binKey=p_4&lo_binValue=Berdoues

I am using Ms London at present And have had good feedback although it doesn't last long

My first grown up one was blue grass and to this day OH says it is the only perfume he can identify. Sometimes tempted to give it a go again but think it is best to leave it as a fond memory. (Ps I was a child bride lol)

I used Gucci II for ages but it is now discontinued so I am keeping my last bottle for special and using some cheapie ones until I decide on a new one.

It is so difficult to choose a scent which you will be smelling of all day and as they are so expensive you don't want to make a mistake cos if you hate it it is not something you can "put up with" to use it up.

My nan used Blue Grass and nothing else.
My mum has many perfumes but her favourite is Youth Dew. It smells wonderful on her but awful on me and my aunt, her sister.

My Grandma always wore Mitsouko. It smelt very sour on her and as a consequence I hate it, and also dislike most Guerlain scents.

I like Chanel no. 5 for evening, and L'Air du Temps is one of my favourites. One thing mum and I agree on. However I think my signature is L'Occitane. Their EDT's last as long as any expensive EDP on me. I now have 5- Fleur Cherie, Mint Verbena and Rose Quattre Reinnes, Rose Aurore and Rose de Champs. I am not too keen on Ambre and absolutely hate L' Eau d'Iprie (sorry sp).The resinny one. Vile.

I used to love the Max Factor perfumes with the little cats. I started with the least expensive, Electrique, moved on the the middle priced Primitif with the little black cat & then Hypnotique, the most expensive though none of them were dear by today's standards.
Does anyone remember Goya scents. They were gorgeous too, I particularly loved Entice.
And Mornay, Sandalwood was my favourite.

I got married in Revlon's Intimate, used it for years till they discontinued it.

As well as Blue Grass, Arden did Memoire Cherie which I preferred.
Next, for me it was Ecussson by Jean D'Albret, my first expensive French perfume which I've tried for years to track down to no avail. I still prefer & wear the older scents, Arpege, Femme, No5. Most new launches don't seem to work on my skin & end up smelling like air freshener

I never liked Aqua Manda much. It was a bit too sweet & orangey for me.

When my Mum wore Youth dew in the car I had to have the window open. She also thought Hypnotique was fabulous and looked down on the other two (lol) but I thought that range of three was very smart!

Years and years ago a colleague of mine met an ex colleague of mine, and when he said I work with Mazza, the ex colleague just said Ah, Moon Drops by Revlon....

Recently after watching a perfume prog on TV I decided to find a Guerlain signature fragrance and hated them all on my skin and thought they all seemed rather old fashioned.

I now try to stick to Chanel or Dior for best and experiment with day to day from the sales and L'Occitane, although M&S do some good copy cats which I bought in 3 for 2 offer!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back