Ask Alison ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Totally agree with Flamenco.

I've lurked on this forum off and on for years (although I lost the login for my original username) and I never cease to be amazed by posters who seem to loathe QVC's presenters, products and everything about the channel, and yet seem to do nothing other than watch QVC. I'm not naive - I know the internet allows people to dish out abuse that they would never be brave enough to voice in public, but I am genuinely startled by some of the vile, mean spirited things I read on this forum every single time I visit.

If you hate something / someone so much, why on earth watch it / them? Clearly, some people get too much of a kick out of assassinating the characters of QVC presenters (QVC presenters! Of all people!) in order to entertain that idea, but in my opinion, it really is that simple.

Totally agree with Flamenco.

I've lurked on this forum off and on for years (although I lost the login for my original username) and I never cease to be amazed by posters who seem to loathe QVC's presenters, products and everything about the channel, and yet seem to do nothing other than watch QVC. I'm not naive - I know the internet allows people to dish out abuse that they would never be brave enough to voice in public, but I am genuinely startled by some of the vile, mean spirited things I read on this forum every single time I visit.

If you hate something / someone so much, why on earth watch it / them? Clearly, some people get too much of a kick out of assassinating the characters of QVC presenters (QVC presenters! Of all people!) in order to entertain that idea, but in my opinion, it really is that simple.

It's not quite that simple....

I watch the beauty hours sometimes in the hope of getting valid, consistent information about a product; I don't want to be patronised or shouted at. I also don't want to hear an expert who knows all about their particular product being constantly interrupted. The preception is of someone who is quick to criticise others but is unwilling to receive it, and feels she is indispensable in her role.

I'm not a character assassin; just a viewer with an open mind who thinks that AY has maybe reached her use-by date.

Jinny x

It's not quite that simple....

I watch the beauty hours sometimes in the hope of getting valid, consistent information about a product; I don't want to be patronised or shouted at. I also don't want to hear an expert who knows all about their particular product being constantly interrupted. The preception is of someone who is quick to criticise others but is unwilling to receive it, and feels she is indispensable in her role.

I'm not a character assassin; just a viewer with an open mind who thinks that AY has maybe reached her use-by date.

Jinny x

well said, totally agree. I actually watch mainly the beauty hours and find AY more then annoying, actually one of the worst presenters (apart from Craig).So I watch the beauty hours because I am interested, that does not mean I have to like AY, indeed: I would argue that if you like beauty items she actually makes it very very hard to stay watching.

well said, totally agree. I actually watch mainly the beauty hours and find AY more then annoying, actually one of the worst presenters (apart from Craig).So I watch the beauty hours because I am interested, that does not mean I have to like AY, indeed: I would argue that if you like beauty items she actually makes it very very hard to stay watching.

Quite right. I have watched the beauty shows for years & used to love watching AY. The main show used to be the 4pm hour on a Thursday & I even used to tape it if I was not going to be at home. In those days she was professional & very knowledgeable & I would be the first to admit I have learnt a lot from her. Unfortunatley I feel she has become far too complacent in her presenting & thinks she can get away with just about anything ( which she does..... the slapping incident a few months ago ). All this screeching & interupting she does is at times unbearable, hence why I tend to have the sound off. The private jokes shared with people like Fiona Brackenbury, Keeley etc is IMO rude & condescending to the public. If I went into a store & two women behind a cosmetic counter did that whilst serving me I would demand to see a manager, so why should I put up with it from QVC ? She's become very hard sell & I don't think she now does it for the right reasons, because she wants to educate women about beauty & skincare.

Lets face it. QVC can't keep her for ever. In the Salon with Alison in 10 years .....I don't think so. I was staggered that she admitted a few weeks ago on screen that she is now 46!

And with all due respect if people don't like what we write on here then why come on to read it ?

Last edited:
I remember way back in the mists of time. Watching AY especially the 4pm Thursday/Tuesday show where so much fun. You learnt about the product, what was best for you, it was light hearted and fun. Then AY became a WAG( yes it did go down hill around then), suddenly it was all oh Cheryl etc wears this you must buy because she uses it. Oh who ever is in wears this makeup, the guest is shouted over and its still oh this zeleb uses it etc on and on and on and on and on and on and on. She takes no pride in her appearance, yes there are times when she looks great unfortunately they are few and far between now. Beauty is and always has been about the fantasy the glamour etc. If AY came on as she used to dressed in a simple white overall, hair washed and understated makeup(no twenty coats of black eyeliner and the whole pot of BB Shimmerbrick on at once), we would take her more seriously.

I totally agree Lillian. Her style of presenting has changed dramatically over the years. She is now sell, sell, sell, which I suppose is what she is paid to do, but it has the absolute opposite effect on me and I suspect there are many others who feel the same.

I don't mind Alison generally but I really dislike it when she talks over people; especially when they are the guest and are supposed to be giving us information regarding their product. I remember seeing her with Kathy Taylor not so long ago; it was one of those special hours when Kathy was supposed to tell us what her desert island products were. Well she couldn't get a word in! Alison was going at full pelt talking over Kathy, about Kathy as if the poor woman didn't know anything about herself at all. It was really awful and Kathy was far too polite to try and put a stop to it. I had to swap channels it was so exasperating.
On a slightly different note, did anyone notice how nice Alison's hair and make-up was during the Perricone TSV launch and how awful she looked just 18 hours later when she had clearly been made up by the New CID team.
She needs to calm down, stop interupting people and minimse the make-up application. So there!

Then AY became a WAG
Alison's spell as a WAG was quite shortlived. If I remember correctly, Crystal Palace 'let him go' soon after their marriage and no club came forth to sign him. Doesn't he have his own chauffeur service business now, which mainly does school runs?

Have to say I agree with you ladies: I also learned a lot from Alison in the beginning, and although her voice was always a little schrieky (if that is a word) the knowledge was there. This celebrity endorsement thing does nothing for me, indeed it usually puts me off. Can not get my head around why I should look like someone else... what is that all about?
Although I love to have Claudia Schiffer's legs lol

I like AY although she sometimes gets too much for me & I have to hit the mute button.she was in overdrive yesterday pushing that very expensive skincare ( I actually for a moment considered ordering, but that is a BIG secret, luckily came to my senses & didn't!!!)Her makeup was just tooooooo much, less is more Ali from your non resident beauty expert Miss SF

Hmm, dare I suggest that some of you are being a bit selective when it comes to responding to my post?

For a start, I'm not just referring to the vile things that are said about Alison, and nor am I referring to criticisms of her presenting style. As a presenter, I think it's the ONLY thing people are entitled to criticise, frankly.

lilian - I do indeed try to be selective about the threads I read on here. I'm really only interested in getting advance notice about the odd TSV. But it's pretty difficult to avoid sometimes, such is the culture of this place. Clearly, those who get their kicks out of slagging off presenters day in, day out, are outnumbered by those who don't.

Are we to assume from your sanctimonious post that you are, indeed, whiter than white, and that you have never, ever made a less than flattering remark about ANYONE? I don't think so!

Hmm, dare I suggest that some of you are being a bit selective when it comes to responding to my post?

For a start, I'm not just referring to the vile things that are said about Alison, and nor am I referring to criticisms of her presenting style. As a presenter, I think it's the ONLY thing people are entitled to criticise, frankly.

lilian - I do indeed try to be selective about the threads I read on here. I'm really only interested in getting advance notice about the odd TSV. But it's pretty difficult to avoid sometimes, such is the culture of this place. Clearly, those who get their kicks out of slagging off presenters day in, day out, are outnumbered by those who don't.

I am getting slightly perturbed about the amount of posts lately commenting on other peoples posts. Please feel free to follow your own advice and do not read if it bugs you
Nice to know though you can use the service to find out about TSV's

Surely the forum is meant for lots of different things and if we see something someone has posted that we don't agree with or like should we not feel free to say so or is that not allowed?.

Latest posts

Back