Best Balm/oil cleanser

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

she does not like elemis does she.

interesting though what she says about the irritation factor very highly scented range. smells are really lovely but my nose likes this range more than my skin lol!

Really dislikes Decleor as well.
Any brand that has any sort of natural oil or ingredient she has a go at.

she does not like elemis does she.

interesting though what she says about the irritation factor very highly scented range. smells are really lovely but my nose likes this range more than my skin lol!

I had a hideous reaction whilst using Elemis and the £300 per appointment dermatologist I went to said it was full of well known irritants that would aggravate lots of people's skins.

She then went into a bit of a mini rant about how people ask if things are fragrance free and hypoallergenic then put products containing essential oils on their skin - which are well know irritants and usually there to make things smell nice as much as anything else, but companies know not to list them as fragrance because they know that puts people off.

That's how I got into learning ingredients in the first place... She'd get on with Paula Begoun like a house on fire my dermatologist. :sun: They both say if there's no ingredient in there that can do that then the product can't do that.

It's all a bit of a minefield. And I know I am very grateful now my skin has decided it's giving up it's mid life sensitivity. I really do sympathise with anyone who has a reaction to any product. I spent about six months unable to use anything other than doublebase or aqueous cream.

I find that now I am hurtling towards 50 I am more biased towards science than I was previously. That said I still like Elemis and Liz Earle in QVC terms.

I was in Boots on Monday and was looking at the no7 counter,they had a new version of their protect and perfect called intense.I have never tried any of their skincare before not even when all the hype was around afew years ago. The sales assistant was really helpful and gave me little samples of serum, and day and night creams to try. Have used them the last couple of days and I am shocked at how good my skin feels and looks--I now want the full sizes of these.I would not have even considered this range previously because it is not marketed as natural.I don't care-- it's great!

I find essential oils very effective on my skin. Funny how some experts say keep your skincare chemical free and others say stay away from the natural products. I suppose it's trial and error what works best for you.

Rosey how does the no 7 one compare with c&p?

The old C&P was really good but since they changed the formula I was never impressed with it. The No 7 one is just as good in my opinion, although others on here say they are not keen on the scent. If you can get it with the £5 off vouchers which Boots do from time to time it is worth the try as it works out at a bargain £4 for 200 ml. Have a look at the reviews on Boots.com and you will see that a lot of them compare it to C&P and say it is just as good. Although I do use it with the LE muslin cloths as they are better than the ones which come with this.

http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Radiance-Boosting-Hot-Cloth-Cleanser-200ml_953890/

I was in Boots on Monday and was looking at the no7 counter,they had a new version of their protect and perfect called intense.

I read somewhere a Boots insider saying that when they brought out the protect and perfect there was so much hype that they couldn't shift the product they were already selling despite it being another version, so they have rebranded it as protect and perfect intense.

I also remember reading that when you couldn't get the p&p for love nor money, an insider saying get the other one because it is the same but in their opinion, a better version!

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

I've not posted on here for postively ages, but came across this thread last week when I was researching the Emma Hardie balm.:sun:
I've also been using the Boots Botanical Cleansing balm & just felt like a bit of a change.
Anyway in the end I decided to give the Champneys Spa one a try & I'm so pleased I did!
It's presented in a nice box with a muslin cloth & is £13 for 100ml - which works out a third of the price of the Emma Hardie one. Ingredients look nice as well, & at the moment is on a 2 for 3 offer at Boots which makes it even better value.
The balm itself is gorgeous, meltingly soft & luscious, fragrance - in the jar - not unlike the Decleor balms, but once applied on your skin has a mint/menthol fragrance. The Champney's balm has a more "refined" texture similar to the Neal's Yard Rose & the Decleor balms. First ingredients are avocado oil & jojoba oil, so I reckon this could be used as a treatment mask like the Emma Hardie & Neal's Yard balms.:happy:
Here's the link to it which also includes the ingredients.
http://www.champneys.co.uk/Collection/Skin_Care/Spa_skin/cleansing_balm_#

I have been using the Emma Hardie one for nearly a week now and I can't decide whether I like it. It smells good, removes all traces of mascara, and my muslin cloth is always clean when I wring it out so the balm must be disolving the dirt. However, I feel I have to use quite a bit so I'm not sure whether it will turn out to be good value in the end. I estimate I will get about 6 weeks use out of the 100ml pot.

Well I ordered the AD Skin Synergy 'Try me' deal on QVC, waiting for it to be delivered. Hoping for good things after the reviews on here! lol

Failing that I might give the Boots Botanics one a go, I love a bargain but don't mind paying the money for the AD if it does work.

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it shows up (not doubt the postie tried to deliver today so will have a wee card waiting for me when I get home). :dull:

A very interesting thread. My skin is quite calm and good for my age but I do like the sound of using natural ingredients, or more to the point not using unecessary chemicals, mineral oils etc. Lists of ingredients are gobbly-gook to me, can't work out what they actually are (well OK I know that aqua is water!)

So I need a beginners guide to which ingredients I should avoid and which are positively good for the skin. It would be useful if you could help please.

Linda :sun:

I recently had my first ever really bad reaction that needed medical care thanks to a Champneys cleanser. It smelled lovely going on - fresh and pepperminty, but by the time I was rinsing it off i knew something was wrong. I looked like a Bizarre ER extra! Never again and I now avoid anything minty like the plague.

Linda, first stop would be the ingredients directory at Paula's Beautypedia already mentioned here. I agree that she doesn't seem a fan of anything natural, but don't let that put you off that section. You can cross ref everything by Googling/Wiki-ing it rather than follow her opinions blindly.

I agree with Donna nothing beats Eve Lom !

I bought the Clinique take the day off balm whilst in Florida in May and it is surprisingly good and you need such a small amount the 125 ml tub will last for ages DD telss me it retails here for £19 a bargain IMHO

A very interesting thread. My skin is quite calm and good for my age but I do like the sound of using natural ingredients, or more to the point not using unecessary chemicals, mineral oils etc. Lists of ingredients are gobbly-gook to me, can't work out what they actually are (well OK I know that aqua is water!)

So I need a beginners guide to which ingredients I should avoid and which are positively good for the skin. It would be useful if you could help please.

Linda :sun:

Beautypedia is brilliant resource. I also like Ruth Winter's book (order-able from your local library):sun:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0307451119/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Hi all, just wondered if you can help. I bought the AD Skin Synergy cleansing balm for the first time and it arrived yesterday. I tried it last night. It says to put a little in your hand and warm then spread over the face. I did, but my skin just sucked it up! Was the face supposed to be wet or dry? Did I not use enough? What went wrong? thanks!

Hi all, just wondered if you can help. I bought the AD Skin Synergy cleansing balm for the first time and it arrived yesterday. I tried it last night. It says to put a little in your hand and warm then spread over the face. I did, but my skin just sucked it up! Was the face supposed to be wet or dry? Did I not use enough? What went wrong? thanks!

I'm the same, thought I was doing something daft, but I feel like my palms are soaking it in and i'm putting nothing on my face, should we be using more? My make up is coming off on the cloth but dont know if this is down to the balm or the warm water/cloth combo! lol

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add to it to say that I tried Eve Lom this week for the first time, and I am just astounded how good it is. I know it contains mineral oil, but frankly, they could put any old thing in it as far as I'm concerned if it's going to make my skin look and feel this good.

I have oily/combination skin, and I've tried both the AD Skin Synergy & Emma Hardie products in the past and although they were effective, they left my skin feeling greasy and oily afterwards. The Eve Lom doesn't.

I am truly astounded by this product, it's the best I've ever tried on QVC.

Latest posts

Back